PDA

View Full Version : Any you folk ever had the Shingles?

airbud7
04-06-2017, 03:43 PM
I'm on about day 7 and there killing me I cant even put my arms down by my side it hurts so bad.

if you never had it please get the vaccine/ you don't want this pain ever.

Thumper
04-06-2017, 04:06 PM
Lynn and I get a flu shot every year. A few years ago, we decided to get a flu shot AND the shingles vaccine. I'd had my flu shot at the VA already, so I just got the shingles vaccine. Lynn went to her doctor and they told her she could not get them at the same time. She chose to get a flu shot and get the shingles shot later (I forgot what they said the time period had to be). As "luck" would have it, she came down with a case of shingles a matter of a few days later! Unbelievable. After many Dr. visits and getting every med known to man, she just could not get rid of it! It was also on the underside of her arm and she had to sleep with her hand up over her head. If I remember correctly, it took months to clear up, but never went completely away and she still has flare-ups.

My step-dad also had shingles before he passed away. After seeing him and Lynn suffer through it, I agree, if anyone here hasn't had the vaccine, GO GET IT!

DeputyDog
04-06-2017, 04:19 PM
I've had them and they told me that I can't get the vaccine because I'm too young for it. My wife was pregnant when I got them and her OB prescribed Valtrex for me. Cleared them up in a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
04-06-2017, 04:23 PM
I pity anybody having to go through that. I'm gonna talk to my doc next time I'm in there about the vaccine.

BKB

Sunshine
04-06-2017, 05:22 PM
Never had them, never had that shot or the flu shot!

Thumper
04-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Never had them, never had that shot or the flu shot!

Ha ha! And I've never had my house burn down, but I still pay for insurance! ;)

You're turning 60 this weekend ... things start "changing" around that age. Start posting the date for those colonoscopies on the calendar! As for shingles? It "could" be just a matter of time.

https://i.giphy.com/Dtx6g7othLlC0.gif

Thumper
04-06-2017, 07:50 PM
FYI ......

Shingles Facts

1) Anyone who has had chicken pox can get shingles. That means 95 percent of adults are at risk.

2) Approximately one-third of the U.S. population will get shingles.

3) More than half of older adults do not understand the seriousness of shingles and its complications.

4) Among those who get shingles, more than one-third will develop serious complications. The risk of complications rises after 60 years of age.

5) Appropriate and immediate treatment of shingles (herpes zoster) can control acute symptoms and reduce the risk of longer term complications. Starting anti-viral medication within 72 hours of the onset of shingles can reduce the pain and the length of time the outbreak lasts.

CDC Recommends Shingles Vaccine

People age 60 and older should be vaccinated against shingles, a condition often marked by debilitating chronic pain, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends.
CDC recommends a single dose of the zoster vaccine, Zostavax, for adults 60 years of age and older even if they have had a prior episode of shingles.

Researchers found that, overall, in those ages 60 and above the vaccine reduced the occurrence of shingles by about 50 percent. For individuals ages 60-69 it reduced occurrence by 64 percent.

Over 95 percent of people are infected by the varicella zoster virus (VZV), during their lifetime. The virus causes the common childhood disease chickenpox and then becomes dormant within the nerves. If it reactivates later in life, the result can be shingles. Shingles is characterized by clusters of blisters, which develop on one side of the body in a band-like pattern and can cause severe pain that may last for weeks, months or years.

The risk of contracting shingles increases with age starting at around 50, and is highest in the elderly. Half of people living to age 85 have had or will get shingles. The risk of experiencing chronic pain also increases with age.

airbud7
04-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Yea Thump....Odds of a baby boomer getting shingles is high...

Captain
04-06-2017, 08:57 PM
A close friend of mine had them and he was in such pain I went to my doctor and got the shot. It's not 100% but I hope I never get them.

Chicken Dinner
04-06-2017, 09:10 PM
No, but I plan on getting the vaccine on my next trip to the Doc.

DeputyDog
04-06-2017, 09:33 PM
If you can, get the shot. I will as soon as my doc says I'm old enough to get it. I DO NOT want to get shingles ever again.

I had mine in a line across my chest right at the nipple level. It was absolutely murder with the heat that body armor holds in, not to mention it rubbing the shingles blisters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airbud7
04-06-2017, 09:38 PM
No, but I plan on getting the vaccine on my next trip to the Doc.

Do that CD^.....Shingles can not kill you .....But it hurts like hell...Get the shot guys....Love all y'all!

Thumper
04-06-2017, 10:16 PM
Yep Deppity, Lynn does a ton of computer work (a lot of typing involved) and it was pretty tough on her when it about killed her to get her arms down below shoulder level. Just getting dressed for work was a real bitch!