PDA

View Full Version : Here's some fun automotive trivia.....

Big Muddy
04-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Test yourself....very innersting:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=291fc570f9&view=lg&msg=15b6abd941e21b5f

Thumper
04-14-2017, 08:52 AM
It just takes me to a page to sign up for Gmail. :confused:

Big Muddy
04-14-2017, 09:39 AM
hmmmm, works fine for me.

To whet your appetite, one of the questions is:

"What U.S. production car has the quickest 0-60 mph time?"

Here's another one:

Who wrote this letter to Henry Ford?

"I have drove fords exclusively when I could get away with one. It has got every other car skinned, and even if my business hasn't been strictly legal it don't hurt anything to tell you what a fine car you got in the V-8?"

Thumper
04-14-2017, 09:48 AM
Last I heard, it was the Tesla (don't remember the model). It runs on batteries, but it sho' ain't no golf cart!

Thumper
04-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Well dang, I just noticed you added one! I only know that one because I watched a documentary on Bonnie & Clyde a while back and they mentioned that. I remember getting a kick out of the "I have drove fords exclusively when I could get away with one" part! ;)

Big Muddy
04-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Yep, ole Clyde Barrow.

The other one, I'm not too sure that record still holds, but the site says it's the 1962 Chevrolet Impala SS 409. Did it in 4.0 seconds.

johnboy
04-14-2017, 10:37 AM
2017 Camaro ZL1 - 3.5 sec 0 to 60.

Thumper
04-14-2017, 11:04 AM
Had to look it up.

Tesla Model X P100D
Zero to 60 mph: 2.9 seconds

Tesla Model S P100D
Zero to 60 mph: 2.4 seconds

airbud7
04-14-2017, 11:07 AM
2017 Trans Am...1000hp

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/04/14/firebird-trans-am-doppelganger-is-dodge-demon-destroyer.html

Big Muddy
04-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Yep, I sorta figured that record was outdated, but still an impressive feat for a 1962 vehicle....my neighbor's dad had one, when we were in our teens....the back tires stayed bald, when my buddy would sneak the car out to the blacktop road, and smoke 'em. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
04-14-2017, 11:31 AM
I drove a red '62 two door Impala for a couple of years before I went into the service. My buddy bought the car for like $300 for the engine, which was a 327 300hp. We swapped the engines with a '55 chevy that had a 283 in it. I bought the car from him for $200. It had vinyl seatcovers on it that had been there since the car was new (anybody remember those?) and the exterior was cherry too. Aside from the motor, all I did was add a really small little steering wheel, some Cragar mags, and and eight track.
I drove it for two years and sold it for.....$200.

A story about those cherry seats....I was headed to a job interview at North American Rockwell in Tulsa (I was 20) and I picked up a hitchiker on the crosstown expressway. The guy was smoking and flipped a cigarette out the passenger side window that came back in the car some way and landed on the back seat. I was in doing my interview when a security guard came in and asked who drove the old red Chevy and said it was on fire. It wasn't flaming but it burned about a foot wide hole in the back rest. The guard helped me put it out with little cups of water from the fountain in their office. I got about three miles away when it reignited. I got it put out but it was a real bummer. Kind of ruined it for me.

That car was a dandy!

BKB

Thumper
04-14-2017, 12:51 PM
Ha ha! Yeah P-hole, that was quite common back in the day. I couldn't tell you how many cars came into the dealership for upholstery repairs after a cigarette was flipped "out of the window" and came back into the back seat! When I was in Boy Scouts, we were headed for a camp-out one weekend. My brother, another buddy and I were riding in our scoutmaster's car when one of the other drivers came up beside us blowing the horn and pointing toward the back of our car. Our scoutmaster smoked and had flipped a cig out the window. Problem is, we were pulling a trailer with our canoes and all of our camping gear in it and it was on fire! Man, we pulled over and started running around like crazy looking for a ditch or something with water in it while my brother started throwing dirt on it. Shortly after that, a truck driver pulled over and put it out with his fire extinguisher.