PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy This 20th Day Of April!

BarryBobPosthole
04-20-2017, 05:33 AM
I know I am, before Jeff Sessions comes to take me away.

BKB

Thumper
04-20-2017, 07:19 AM
How can you NOT enjoy 4/20? ;)

Captain
04-20-2017, 07:42 AM
I was literally 5 to 10 seconds away from having a good day and my pick of three Toms. They were answering my every call and coming in on a string. They were about 25 yards from me and I was waiting on them to clear some brush and step into the firebreak so I could see which one was the biggest. I caught something out of the corner of my eye and three dogs ran in and flushed them! Looks like I got work to do...

BarryBobPosthole
04-20-2017, 08:08 AM
Well, you know if you got busy instead of hunting every day and got that brush policed up you'd probably kill more turkeys.

BKB

Captain
04-20-2017, 08:12 AM
Bite me.

Big Muddy
04-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Tough luck there, Cap....I'm headed over to my turkey lease in a couple of days, and got a new plan of attack....it involves fresh corn chops and claymore land mines....that'll teach those day'um hillbilly turkeys to screw around with a flatlander. ;)

Captain
04-20-2017, 08:57 AM
See if Trump will loan you a MOAB's

LJ3
04-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Mother Of All Bongs?

Hombre
04-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Tough luck there, Cap....I'm headed over to my turkey lease in a couple of days, and got a new plan of attack....it involves fresh corn chops and claymore land mines....that'll teach those day'um hillbilly turkeys to screw around with a flatlander. ;)

Muddy it's been tough here in Washington too. Turkey hunting is one of my favorites, and this year Cade got his hunters safety certification. I'd promised to get him out turkey hunting the only problem is we live on the west side of Washington and all the turkeys are on the east side. That being said a promise is a promise and I'm happy he's excited about it. With that I mapped out the counties that had the largest turkey population, great only a 4.5 hour drive. Now I needed to find some areas we could hunt. We don't know a lot of people in Washington in general and nobody on the east side. My only real option, this late in the game, was to find some public. I ended up finding some timber ground and some DNR.

With all that mapped out we decided to take on Friday afternoon (Season started on Saturday) and just drive around the country and get familiar. Opening day we rolled out of bed around 4:30 and drove out. We got to our location around 5:30 and I'd really miss timed it the sun was completely up. I told Cade we should have been here earlier, but lets go ahead and hike in and make a stand. The stand was a bust not a single gobble. On the way out we took a little rougher path, really just to see if there were any better spots for later. As we came around a corner on small logging road I saw movement in the brush. Stopping Cade and looking closer there was a Moose around 40 yards away just really checking out what we were doing.

It was the first Moose I've seen, and his first too. That was enough to make me happy with the trip, and he was super excited. We never did end up getting a turkey but made a lot better sets and had several gobbling on Sunday. Overall Cade learned a lot about turkey hunting, even had a few gobble back to the calls he was making. And, in a way I'm kind of glad we didn't just go out and get a turkey, the hunt was more about spending time outdoors with Cade than getting a turkey. As a plus we were far enough out that cell phones wouldn't work.

airbud7
04-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a good all around day Hombre!.....any y'all ever eat moose?...what it taste like?, cow/deer?

Captain
04-20-2017, 11:25 AM
I have. It taste a lot like Moose to me. :D

Hombre
04-20-2017, 11:26 AM
I've eaten Moose and I like it better than deer or elk...hard to beat a good Ribeye though

Thumper
04-20-2017, 12:24 PM
I'm with Hombre, I've had moose quite a few times and it was always good.

Dude, you should contact Sunshine and get directions to their property. She has gobblers running all over their place. 'Course, first, you may have to convince her they are NOT pets! ;)

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2017, 12:55 PM
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/82a0718c0321f4ab57010bffb4b09acf6460990afeda70c0ce 4735edfc4d5da4.jpg?w=600&h=378