PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Knowerabouters

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2017, 08:05 AM
Was thinking about Trav's new handgun score being single action and it got me to wondering.

What are the specific applications where you'd want a single action, double action, or auto?

I understand the auto and why in some instances you'd want it. But for single action vs double action is it mainly a matter of preference or are there real world practical reasons you'd choose one over the other?

BKb

Captain
04-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Well they make single actions and double actions of both revolver and semi-autos.
And with the invention of striker fire weapons it sorta makes things more complex.
It really depends on personal preference.

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2017, 02:36 PM
That was more my question. What situations call for a specific action.

BKB

Captain
04-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Generally (but not in stone) double action revolvers are used for personal defense. Single action revolvers for hunting.
The most common single action seminauto are the 1911 style. It has a manual safety and is designed to carry "cocked and locked"
Most other semi autos are double action any (most) also have safety's or safety/decock levers.
In my opinion, (one I put a LOT of weight in) NO DOUBLE ACTION AUTO NEEDS A SAFETY! decocker, yes but no safety.
Striker fires are strikers fires.... totally different animals.

Chicken Dinner
04-25-2017, 02:55 PM
I love me a 1911 and have always been very comfortable carrying it in "condition 1". The revolvers I've owned were typically double-action, but I always used them as single-action. Not sure why.

Captain
04-25-2017, 03:03 PM
Because of the lighter trigger pull and improved accuracy with the single action condition.

Trav
04-25-2017, 05:15 PM
The only single actions I have ever shot we a couple of Super Blackhawks friends have owned and they were great shooters.