PDA

View Full Version : Say goodbye to Junior. ...

DeputyDog
04-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Dale Jr. announced his retirement today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airbud7
04-25-2017, 06:45 PM
what!....let me check/ be right back.

airbud7
04-25-2017, 06:57 PM
Dam you are right....I like this ESPN take on it/ good read...>http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/19242027/nascar-dale-earnhardt-jr-retirement-announcement-brings-mixed-emotions

Thumper
04-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Yep, I heard that this afternoon. I don't blame him. He just married Amy a few months ago, who wouldn't want to sleep in a little more often nowadays? :biggrin

8857 8858

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2017, 10:00 PM
Say goodbye to Nascar is more like it.

BKb

DeputyDog
04-25-2017, 10:37 PM
It's definitely not gonna help NASCAR's attendance and TV ratings. They are going through what Indy Car went through in the early and mid 90's. A big portion of the drivers who are recognizable to the general public, not just race fans, are all leaving the sport in a short time. In Indy car it was AJ Foyt, Al and Bobby Unser, Rick Mears, Mario Andretti, for example. So far in NASCAR they will lose Gordon, Stewart, and Junior over a couple years. A lot of the more casual fans won't have any one to root for so they will drift away.

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2017, 10:56 PM
Its not the racers that are retiring that is driving me away from Nascar. its the stupid rule changes, points formats, and this new system with race segments is dumb as fuck.

BKB

Thumper
04-25-2017, 10:58 PM
Curmudgeon!

Captain
04-26-2017, 05:34 AM
Its not the racers that are retiring that is driving me away from Nascar. its the stupid rule changes, points formats, and this new system with race segments is dumb as fuck.

BKB

Exactly. I've seen less then 50 laps of NASCAR racing this year and that was when I stopped by my parents house on Sunday to visit and Dad would be watching. It's just not the same anymore. All these changes have ruined the deal
Junior leaving sorta ends any interest I have in even keep up with it.

DeputyDog
04-26-2017, 07:02 AM

BKB

That's a big issue with the real fans. The casual fans don't care about that stuff, they just like the banging and fighting and having a name they are familiar with to cheer for.

If all of you xenophobes could get over the foreigners in Indy Car you'd find that the racing is great, and there are no gimmicks.

BarryBobPosthole
04-26-2017, 07:06 AM
I have no issue with indy racing at all, in fact AJ Foyt was probably my first race car driver hero back when I was a kid.

BkB

DeputyDog
04-26-2017, 07:53 AM
They're racing Saturday night at Phoenix. Coverage on NBCSN. I think the next big star will be Josef Newgarden. He's a really talented, personable young kid from Tennessee. He signed on with Penske for this season and won in his third race for them.

BarryBobPosthole
04-26-2017, 07:58 AM
I will check it out. Heck, the way things are going a good old fashioned IROC race would be more entertaining than Nascar is right now.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
04-26-2017, 08:33 AM
Motorized soap opera. Or, just an RCH above professional wrassling.

BarryBobPosthole
04-26-2017, 08:38 AM
It all started when they decided that in a sport whose roots was in moonshine running, fighting, and rubbing fenders, you couldn't say 'shit' because it was a 'family sport'.
Bulla sheeta. The MBAs got aholt of nascar and squeezed the life out of it.

Well, that and putting ANY Waltrip on TV.

BKB