PDA

View Full Version : Dads are special

Arty
04-26-2017, 09:38 PM
Well I guess I'll start at the VERY beginning.... here goes.
My dad is the smartest, most clever, funny, intuitive, do-it-yourselfer, persuasive, man's man you will ever meet.
I turned 40 two weeks ago today. For my generation, I know a lot of stuff. Guys my age have no clue how to change differential fluid, pull a rear seal from a tranny, or diagnose a noise in the washing machine. Not too mention they cant pull a double window and replace it with sliding patio doors, build a 12x20 shed with full 220 electric, or build a 24x36 foot deck 1 story off the ground.... all straight from their head... no plans, no anything, just "this goes here" kind of building (and it passing all inspections).
I also know how to find deer in the woods, find fish in the water, and fix a whole box full of random shit. My knowledge of things really does baffle most of my friends that are in the same age range as I am. They know how to YouTube shit... (course I do too!).
I know these things cause my dad is cool like that. And he made me learn these things by making me watch him and help him do them, even when I'd have MUCH rather have done something else.
He also taught me to believe in my maker. My dad is/was a baptist preacher. Although we disagree on 90% of theological issues, we DO agree that ONE God created us, and He created us to serve and honor Him.
100% I believe that and practice that (to the best of my ability) due to my dad.

Now for the rest of the story....
My dad has not been well in years. Diabetes, high blood pressure, neuropathy, obesity, and a pile of other issues have rendered him all but home ridden the past 7-8 years. I've tried to visit him every year... I live 612 miles away.

A week or so ago my dad thought he had pneumonia. Couldn't breathe, couldn't swallow.
Went to the hospital, X-rays, test, biopsy... more tests... "lung cancer".

Today was the consultation with the "oncology team". Petscan "was" scheduled later this afternoon.

First doctor was the surgeon. "It is too far along and it is inoperable, go see the radiologist".

Second doctor was radiologist. "The mass is huge. And you are in no condition for chemo. It is in your rib bones, and probably your brain, other organs. I can make you comfortable, that's about it."

My dad says "how long do I have?"

Doc, "one to two months at most. I can tell you more with a petscan, but I'm 99% sure it'll tell you what I just told you."

So there it is. My dad, my hero, my nemesis, my confident, my enemy, has 30-60 days to live.

Tough to swallow. Many emotions. Prayers and thoughts appreciated. I talked to him tonight. He wanted to hear all about the fish I caught this morning, and wanted to make sure I took care of mom when he's gone.

Again- Prayers appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
04-26-2017, 09:58 PM
That's a heavy weight to carry, Jamie.

You got it, of course.

BKB

quercus alba
04-26-2017, 10:14 PM
Sometimes there are just no words to say. Don't let there be any regrets, call him everyday and tell him everything you always meant to but never did.

Trav
04-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Jamie, that sucks my prayers are with you and your family. If you need anything or just want to talk I am here for you and we all are. I know when I went through this with my sister this group of perverts and reprobates sure helped me get through it.

airbud7
04-26-2017, 10:51 PM
My heart goes out to you Jamie...Dads are the best we will ever know so make sure your kids feel the same about you...you are special thanks to your Dad.

Captain
04-27-2017, 04:50 AM
I can't imagine what all you are going through. So sorry to hear about your dad. I know how close y'all were and remember the stories you told me over the years of deer processing and arrowhead hunting together.
I'm certain I don't know the "right" thing to say, but if you need anyone to talk too I'm open for a call anytime. And if you need a get away break for a few days the farm is open.
Take Care buddy, Captain

DeputyDog
04-27-2017, 07:02 AM
That is tough news. I've been through the same thing with my Dad. Like QA said, say the things you want to tell him. I know I'm glad I was able to do that. It really helped me deal with it.

It's tough losing your Dad. I miss mine every day and he's been gone 17 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cards01
04-27-2017, 07:41 AM
Tough sledding for sure. Prayers and thoughts headed your way.

LJ3
04-27-2017, 09:14 AM
sounds like he is exactly what I picture a great dad to be. A pain in the ass sometimes, friend sometimes, teacher when we don't even realize it. Let him know he did a good job with you. I hope things go as well as they can and keep the southern sense of humor going. It helps!

Thumper
04-27-2017, 10:20 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Although it's nearly impossible to find a bright side to all of this, at least you have some time to spend with him and tell him how much he means to you. I'd suggest printing the first paragraph of this thread and letting him read it. I was extremely close to my dad. He was healthy as an ox one day, and the next day he was gone. No warning. Still, to this day, it bothers me that I didn't take the time to let him know how much he really meant to me BEFORE he passed. I'd give anything just to have an hour with him.

We're all here for you should you need a shoulder.

Bwana
04-27-2017, 02:33 PM
Oh man, so very sorry that you all are having to go through this. Others have said it better than I can, but let him know how much he means to you and cherish the time you have left.

Prayers for all of you.

Arty
04-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Thanks everybody. Appreciate it.

Chicken Dinner
04-27-2017, 02:55 PM
Man, just getting back to the office after a couple of days of meeting and seeing this. Sigh. As hard as this is on you, a short prognosis is probably easier on your Dad at this point. If you need anything, Brother, let me know. Peace.

Big Skyz
04-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Words fail me but I agree dads are special. Both tough and easy to love.

Hombre
04-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Sorry Arty you are in my prayers. This line really grabbed me "So there it is. My dad, my hero, my nemesis, my confident, my enemy" it really describes a great dad. The great ones know they can't always be our friends, and push us for the better.