PDA

View Full Version : What age does to you

jb
04-27-2017, 08:22 PM
I've had my share of vehicles, classics, fun, family, hunting and utility, now it's time just to have a practical one.
5 years ago we decided we'd like to try RV'ing, bought a new 28' travel trailer and a big Ford Expedition to tow it. The Ford was the most expensive vehicle I ever bought (54K sticker) It had more features than I needed, loaded to the hilt, moon roof, leather, third row power seats, heated and cooled front seats and a shithouse load of stuff I never used.
Sold the camper this month because of lack of use and decided I really didn't need the Expedition anymore. Only had 65K on it and #3 really wanted it, so a real sweetheart deal was made.
Looked at a lot of stuff to replace it, heart was set on the BMW X5 but decided I didn't need a 65K vehicle, even as nice as it was. Then checked out Volvo, Honda, Toyota,Buick, GMC and Ford.
I'm a Ford man at heart, owned more of those than any other brand, so settled on a Explorer. Added leather and most other options, got the 2.4 Ecoboost 4 banger for economy. Had it a week now and so far love it.
Don't plan on doing any off road crap with it, and don't plan on carrying a dead deer in the back. It's a nice size for my big fat frame and very comfortable to drive, see some road trips in the near future..
I still have my litter Bimmer for summer fun !
So rave on, but for me, my age, and my current interests it's about perfect.8871

airbud7
04-27-2017, 08:42 PM
Lynn bought a ford escape and I changed my mind about ford...They are nice and look good as heck....

johnboy
04-27-2017, 10:05 PM
We're heading the same way. Plan to sell the rv this spring and then the F350. We won't need a 1 ton diesel anymore, fer sure. I've been looking at a buncha vehicles to replace it with and so far the top of the list is an Explorer. It'll be a V6 but not sure I want to do the Ecoboost thing. Maybe but not sure. I'd like to drive a couple back to back to see the difference.

BarryBobPosthole
04-28-2017, 07:36 AM
Is Ecoboost where it drop out cylinders when they aren't needed or am I thinking of something else?

BKb

Arty
04-28-2017, 07:46 AM
You can NOT beat a Ford!
Good lookin ride there JB!

Chicken Dinner
04-28-2017, 08:08 AM
It's a turbo-charged direct injection engine. It's supposed to increase the mileage significantly and still have the power you need when you need it. I think they started it with the F-150 and have now rolled it out to more of their product line. I think it's a great idea for a pick up particularly for most drivers now who are using them as daily drivers and occasional work or towing. I think folks are still waiting to see how they hold over the 5-10 year period. I know I am at least. If they do, I'd look hard at them if I were in the market for a new pickup.

BarryBobPosthole
04-28-2017, 08:26 AM
I was just looking at those on line and that motor is the the same one the Mustang gets. I've owned exactly one Ford in my life and that was a 1975 Grenada I bought in 1976 used. Don't even friggin' ask. I also married my first wife that year. I really hit some homers in the decision making department at 22. I've hated both ever since.

My oldest son bought a Ford Focus several years ago and that really turned my head on Ford products. He bought it new and owned it all through college and just traded it in last year. I think it had close to 300k on it.

Congrats on smelling new paint Bubba! Even if it is a stinkin' Found On Road Dead.

BKb

johnboy
04-28-2017, 10:58 AM
Nice ride jb!

"Ecoboost" is their word for turbo charged. Comes in a 4 and 6 cyl version with the version in the new pickmeups being a Gen 2 with both direct and port injection to combat the valve coking problem. Looks like the version they put in the Explorer is still the Gen 1 with only direct injection. The Gen 1 Ecoboost engines have been having issues with intake vale coking that puts me off a bit.

Been looking at all mid sized suv's but want a 6 cyl with port injection and that leaves out most of them except for the Ford.

BarryBobPosthole
04-28-2017, 11:00 AM
Valve coking sounds like a west Coast issue.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
04-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Is that anything like choking your chicken?

johnboy
04-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Pipe coking maybe but you can cure that by rinsing with rum. :biggrin

DeputyDog
04-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Nice looking ride Jerry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwana
05-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Congrats on the new wheels sir.

Thumper
05-01-2017, 03:12 PM