PDA

View Full Version : Are you guitar knowabouters still hangin' around?

Thumper
05-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Gots an estate sale I may hit. The place is FULL of pretty nice antiques. That's really not my gig, BUT ... I spotted a Gibson "Flying V", but have no idea how to tell a late 50's original (very rare) from the various re-issue V's. Do any o'youse gitfiddle types have a clue? This particular sale starts Thursday and these are the only pics I have:

https://picturescdn.estatesales.net/1501809/39639827/1.jpg https://picturescdn.estatesales.net/1501809/39639825/1.jpg

LJ3
05-02-2017, 09:27 PM
Dang... could be a nice'un but it's nearly impossible to tell without a serial number. It's an epihone which is made by gibson but depending on where and when it was made, could go for a couple hundred to over a grand or more if it's really rare.

You can check the seial number pretty quickly once you see the guitar. They're on the back of the headstock.

Couple sites you can use to check it if you google "epihpone serial numbers" or something like that.

I have an epiphone les paul on my list of shit I need. Flying V is a little tto metal for me in my old age. The 25 year old in me wants that damn thing BAD :)

Captain
05-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Is that the oyster knife of guitars????

BarryBobPosthole
05-02-2017, 10:38 PM
58 Flying V?

BKB

Thumper
05-02-2017, 11:05 PM
58 Flying V?

BKB

That's sure what I'd hope, but I don't know how to tell the difference between a 50's V and a later re-issue.

Captain
05-03-2017, 05:45 AM
That's sure what I'd hope, but I don't know how to tell the difference between a 50's V and a later re-issue.
Best way to tell is to buy it. You will learn real quick how to tell then. Especially if you pay too much.

Thumper
05-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Well dang Cappy, the only reason I buy stuff is because I know a sucker in North Carolina who will buy it from me ... AND pay me 100-times what I paid for it! :D

Captain
05-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Well dang Cappy, the only reason I buy stuff is because I know a sucker in North Carolina who will buy it from me ... AND pay me 100-times what I paid for it! :D
I know that SOB!!! ..... :(

Thumper
05-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Ha ha ha! From your description (you pegged it), I'm POSITIVE you know him! ;)

LJ3
05-03-2017, 09:15 AM
The thing with Epis are that the serial numbers can be difficult to get the whole story. They didn't stay consistent with the passage of time and changing hands in ownership and manufacturing facilities. Still, if it was made between 1950 and 1980, could be worth some good money and the date portion of the serial numbers are pretty consistent.

Here's a breakdown of Epi serial numbers.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphone#Serial_numbers_and_factory_codes

Current Epiphone serial numbers give the following information:[21]

Korea

I = Saein
U = Unsung
S = Samick
P or R = Peerless
K = Korea
China

MR=CHINA
DW = DaeWon
EA = Gibson/QingDao
EE = Gibson/QingDao
MC = Muse
SJ = SaeJung
Z = Zaozhuang Saehan
BW = China
Japan

No letter or F = FujiGen
J or T = Terada
Czech Republic

B = Bohêmia Musico-Delicia
Indonesia

SI = Samick Indonesia
Example: SI09034853 SI = Samick Indonesia, 09 = 2009, 03 = March, 4853 = manufacturing number.

YYMMFF12345

YY year
MM month
FF factory-code
12345 production#
FACTORY NUMBER CODES—for some models starting in 2008, if serial # begins w/numbers
[NOTE: The factories identified by these codes are based on patterns that forum members have observed. The numbers appear as the 5th and sixth digits in the serial number.]
11 = MIC sticker on a '08 Masterbilt
12 = DeaWon or Unsung (China—uncertainty remains as to which factory)
13 = Sticker: Made in China (Unknown factory; Epiphone LP-100)
15 = Qingdao (China) – electric
16 = Qingdao (China) – acoustic
17 = China – factory unknown MIC sticker on a J160E
18 = China – factory unknown found on one 2009 model bass
20 = DaeWon or Unsung (China—uncertainty remains as to which factory)
21 = Unsung, Korea
22 = ??? Korea (factory still unknown)
23 = ??? Indonesia (factory still unknown, probably Samick,)
I = Indonesia (this letter has appeared as the 5th digit on two authentic new models made in Indonesia

Thumper
05-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Yeppers, I'd have no interest for a re-issue after the move to China. This one has some aspects of an original ... like those black bonnet knobs, they were used from '55 - '60, which would put it in the early original era. BUT, the switch tip should be amber or white during that time, and this one is black (although I know it could have been replaced at some point). Prior to '65, all the metal hardware was either gold or nickel plated ... after '65 it was gold or chrome. I can't really tell for sure, but the pickups appear to be nickel plated ... or are they gold? All the sure-fire indicators are not in the photos, I'd love to see the back of the neck, the sticker or the back of the pick-ups. This is gonna drive me bonkers!

BarryBobPosthole
05-03-2017, 12:02 PM
You'd look good playing that in your pink pants!

Fashionable even.

BKb

LJ3
05-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Ask them for the serial number, dufus.

Thumper
05-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Sometimes I don't like to drop hints like that. I know these people pretty well. There's a possibility they'd look some up on eBay to see how they are priced. One, I don't want to appear super interested or they may research it deeper. If I ask them to locate the serial number, that would throw up a flag to research it by serial number instead of just model name. There's a method to my madness. Example, I know one company who thinks a cast iron pan is just a cast iron pan. If I asked them for the name on the bottom, it could pique their curiosity and they might think to research it. I know these people know squat about guitars, but they do price stuff on the net. I'd just hope that if it's an original, they priced a re-issue. Sometimes there's a psychological side to the game and you don't always want to show your hand. That's how I buy $150.00 razors for $1.00! To most people, they're just nasty old used razors. :D

LJ3
05-03-2017, 01:29 PM
I get that. I say buy it for no more than $50 and you can rest assured you'll at least triple your money because I'll buy that motherfucker from you for $150 all day long. Then, if you find out it's more valuable, you're off the races!

Thumper
05-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Naaa, Cappy would pay $500.00! ;)

Here's a prime example. I went to two sales on the same day last week. I was late hitting the second sale because I spent quite a bit of time at the first. Although a zillion people had already gone through the house, I found this Gold Executive for $0.50! I couldn't believe it was lying there in plain sight and nobody picked it up! Here's a pic ... yes, it's filthy, but they are super simple to clean up. I can see no plating loss whatsoever, so I should have it looking brand new after about 10 minutes (if that). If I'd have called for details, it may have triggered them into looking at it a bit more closely.

Now, here's the same razor that sold on eBay a couple weeks ago for over $400.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-1958-D-3-Gillette-Executive-Gold-Fat-Boy-D3-Safety-Razor-BOX-LID-W-BLADES-/172611008326?hash=item28306af746:g:J6sAAOSwqBJXUPZ n

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/J6sAAOSwqBJXUPZn/s-l500.jpg

Captain
05-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Not for a Guitar he wouldn't.
Now if it was a good set of Ludwig or a vintage set of Slingerland with a bunch of zildjian cymbals on the side I'd be all over it.

LJ3
05-03-2017, 02:07 PM
You need to tell Mrs. Captain you're putting a kit in the farm house. I'll bring my fenders next time and we'll get our jam on. Jamie can say he'll sing and then bitch out... again.

Thumper
05-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Dang! NOW ya' tell me! I passed all that stuff up about a month ago! That guy was a serious drummer and had 5-6 full sets set up all over the house. He was a young, single, very wealthy dude with a huge house and more toys than L. Plyler! ;)

The dude came down with some weird cancer and died within a couple months. 4-wheelers, dune buggies, boats, even exotic birds. Everything he had was top quality. Of course I really don't remember what names were on all'o that equipment, but I have no doubt it was the good stuff. I DO remember some Ludwig items though.

I just remembered ... he had one huge room with about a bazillion collectible guitars ... all mounted on the walls. I didn't even take a close look at them.

Captain
05-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Dang! NOW ya' tell me! I passed all that stuff up about a month ago! That guy was a serious drummer and had 5-6 full sets set up all over the house. He was a young, single, very wealthy dude with a huge house and more toys than L. Plyler! ;)

The dude came down with some weird cancer and died within a couple months. 4-wheelers, dune buggies, boats, even exotic birds. Everything he had was top quality. Of course I really don't remember what names were on all'o that equipment, but I have no doubt it was the good stuff. I DO remember some Ludwig items though.

I just remembered ... he had one huge room with about a bazillion collectible guitars ... all mounted on the walls. I didn't even take a close look at them.
You Effin Effer.... I would have drove down there for that.....

Thumper
05-03-2017, 03:22 PM
Heck, this guy could have fully furnished a Hard Rock Cafe or two!