PDA

View Full Version : The Pluperfect Condiment

BarryBobPosthole
05-08-2017, 10:42 PM
I think I've invented the best condiment ever in the hostory of condiments for fried okra.

A bottle of my hotsauce and a mess of fried okra is as close to culinary heaven as it gets.

BKB

Thumper
05-09-2017, 12:46 AM
Hmmm, I'd try it. I LOVE fried okra, but I usually just salt it. Never really thought about adding hot sauce.

BarryBobPosthole
05-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Wow.

BKb

Big Muddy
05-09-2017, 08:27 AM
"""""Wow"""""!!!!!

BKb

That's exactly what I yelled, the morning after eating your devil's brew. ;)

Thumper
05-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Short Thump story:

As a kid, the only okra dish I'd ever had was stewed (?) with crushed tomatoes. I tried it a couple times but about gagged each time. I thought okra tasted (or at least had the texture of) pig snot. (Kinda like vegetarian oysters!) I made up my mind I did NOT like okra! The first girlfriend I ever lived with (I had just graduated h/s and she was a college junior in med school) made FRIED okra, country fried steak and smashed 'taters for dinner one night. That's when I fell instantly in love with fried okra! To this day, I eat it every chance I get. BUT ... she also made fried squash ... another veggie that pretty much gagged me, but I'd only had it boiled (with onions I think) ... much like the okra I tried in my earlier days and hated it. Squash and okra were on my "don't get that shit anywhere near my mouth" list. Anyway, she'd slice the (yellow) squash very thinly, roll 'em in cornmeal (the same procedure as the okra), and fry them up like little potato chips. It was time consuming because she laid them in the pan individually. She'd fry 'em, salt 'em up and I'd eat 'em as fast as she could crank 'em out! That's still one of my all-time favorites and Lynn will make it for me occasionally. (the okra is a lot less time consuming)

Thumper
05-09-2017, 08:50 AM
That's exactly what I yelled, the morning after eating your devil's brew. ;)

Muddy, if it was the morning AFTER ... I'd have to think you really meant "OW"!!!! ;)

Big Muddy
05-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Yep!!!!!.....Wow going in and Oww coming out.....that Okie is a day'um hot sauce masochist. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
05-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Short Thump story:

As a kid, the only okra dish I'd ever had was stewed (?) with crushed tomatoes. I tried it a couple times but about gagged each time. I thought okra tasted (or at least had the texture of) pig snot. (Kinda like vegetarian oysters!) I made up my mind I did NOT like okra! The first girlfriend I ever lived with (I had just graduated h/s and she was a college junior in med school) made FRIED okra, country fried steak and smashed 'taters for dinner one night. That's when I fell instantly in love with fried okra! To this day, I eat it every chance I get. BUT ... she also made fried squash ... another veggie that pretty much gagged me, but I'd only had it boiled (with onions I think) ... much like the okra I tried in my earlier days and hated it. Squash and okra were on my "don't get that shit anywhere near my mouth" list. Anyway, she'd slice the (yellow) squash very thinly, roll 'em in cornmeal (the same procedure as the okra), and fry them up like little potato chips. It was time consuming because she laid them in the pan individually. She'd fry 'em, salt 'em up and I'd eat 'em as fast as she could crank 'em out! That's still one of my all-time favorites and Lynn will make it for me occasionally. (the okra is a lot less time consuming)

We make a dish called 'Mom's Medley' that my Mom has made my whole life. Its fried taters, fried squash, and onions all mixed together. You fry the tater and squash separately then combine them with onions all together in a big old cast iron pan to finish them off.

BKb

Thumper
05-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Yeah Muddy, I was sittin' at P-hole's kitchen table one afternoon and he gave me a bottle of butt-burner sauce to bring home with me. I have to admit, that bottle didn't last long! Same deal ... WOW one day and OW the next! ;)

Thumper
05-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Dang Postie, that Mom's Medley sounds worth a try! I have a brother who would pour ketchup all over it. He's kind'a like our Bucky in the family. ;)

Chicken Dinner
05-09-2017, 10:13 AM
I've still got a little left in my bottle of "Posthole's Pucker Factor 11" hot sauce (ie, this one goes to eleven...) that I'm saving for a special occasion.

BarryBobPosthole
05-09-2017, 10:19 AM
I have two bottles of red and two of green unopened left from that batch. It aged a year before I bottled it and its been in the bottles a year. It seems to get better and better. Renaldo's evil twin kept me from putting any up last year but I have the pepper plants in the ground now for this year's batch, which will be ready in late 2018 for consumption!

BKB

Big Muddy
05-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Ha, maybe you can get a govt. contract for the new batch.....it'd make day'um good jet fuel. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
05-09-2017, 11:07 AM
I may need an infomercial!

BKB

LJ3
05-09-2017, 02:52 PM
And Eddie needs Vagisil.

Big Muddy
05-09-2017, 03:28 PM
And Eddie needs Vagisil.

HA, big talker, you ain't had none of this sheeit....I'll send you a couple of drops of this sheeit that he sent me, THEN you can call me a woos.....that is, IF you have a voice box left....yo balls ain't big enough to get past one drop. ;)

I've let some bad-azz folks touch, just the cap to their lips, and they've all cowarded away from it....one lady friend of my wife has always said NOTHING was too hot for her, and I've seen her eat habernero peppers like candy .....she put one drop on her tongue, and almost went into a day'um coma....I believe this sheeit triples in Scovill strength, every year that it sits on my shelf.

BarryBobPosthole
05-09-2017, 03:52 PM
I think i sent Eddie two strengths of that sauce if I recall. One was a great deal hotter than the other. I was experimenting with adding some olive oil to the mixture and for some reason it made that batch hotter than the hinges on the gates of hell. And I added a scotchbonnet pepper to that batch too.
Now I only use pure ripe tobasco pepper puree, a little vinegar and some kosher salt in the red. The green is a puree of unripe tobasco peppers, some green sweet pepper, some jalapeno all made into a puree and then I add vinegar and salt. The green is sweeter and tangier I think.
BKB

LJ3
05-10-2017, 09:26 AM
HA, big talker, you ain't had none of this sheeit....I'll send you a couple of drops of this sheeit that he sent me, THEN you can call me a woos.....that is, IF you have a voice box left....yo balls ain't big enough to get past one drop. ;)

I've let some bad-azz folks touch, just the cap to their lips, and they've all cowarded away from it....one lady friend of my wife has always said NOTHING was too hot for her, and I've seen her eat habernero peppers like candy .....she put one drop on her tongue, and almost went into a day'um coma....I believe this sheeit triples in Scovill strength, every year that it sits on my shelf.

Actually, I have. We had both at the farm. That's when the committee decided to rename one of the sauces in your honor.

BarryBobPosthole
05-10-2017, 10:25 AM
But it really is good on fried okra!
BKB

Big Muddy
05-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Leonardo, I stand firm on my assesment that you ain't tasted THIS one !!! ;)