PDA

View Full Version : Go West young man.... trip report.

Captain
05-21-2017, 10:44 AM
I'll add pictures as soon as Bwana's sister fixes them...

I told Posty back and December I wanted to put some tracks in the mud of someplace I'd never been! He invited me out to his place for some fishing and power drinking and a trip was planned .
I was like a kid waiting on Christmas on Sunday night of last week. Just could not sleep, so I got up around 2 Monday Morning and hit the road about 3. Got to Postholes town about 5 in the afternoon and settled in. I got to spend some good relax time and get to know Julie. I had talked to her on the phone but never met her. She is a wonderful gal! The kind of person you can meet and feel like you have known them forever. She welcomed me into their home and made me feel like a long lost brother, just a sweetheart of a person to be around.
Tuesday Posthole took me to the Tall Grass Prairie. We saw turkeys and coyotes and at least 1000 buffalos. All free range. It was just like a scene out of dancing with wolfs. A sight that will still be on my eyes when they put me down. He drove me around the state and showed me lots of areas where he deer and duck hunted. The land is unique to a Carolina boy and I can see where folks exploring in the 1800's would want to settle that country.
We loaded the boat Wednesday and headed to meet Mallard Fillmore and his buddy Don. We tried to fish a beautiful lake in 40 mile wind. We managed to catch a few fish but literally could not cast because of the wind and you could not stay in contact with your lure. It was a tough day on the water but very enjoyable. Got to hear a lot of stories about Posty and Mallard growing up. It's nothing short of a miracle they are both not in jail somewhere! Mallard cooked some steaks and his pretty wife Beth made a load of fixings. I had taken some South Carolina branch water down there and I kept telling them boys it would slip up on them.... we crashed there (literally) that night.
Mallard and his wife are wonderful people, I enjoyed meeting his family and spending time with those folks. I hope to someday be able to return the hospitality.
The next morning we headed to Arkansas to Postholes family farm and to stay with Barry's cousin Ron. I could listen to that guy tell stories all day. I got a real education there. We loaded a 12 foot boat and hit the Fourche La Fave river. It was unbelievable, fish around ever corner. I gave Posty some lessons there, trying to improve his ability for his trip to Canada. That afternoon/night we talked to Ron and heard the history of Barry's family coming to that country and settling.
We headed back to Mallards and picked up the big boat and put it in storage and loaded the 14 foot Jonboat. It appeared the weather was gonna give us the finger but we pressed on and met Birddog at the strip-pits. It rained on us the whole time. But this place is incredible, just small impoundments but perfect water! Deep with structure around the edges. Everything fish need to get big! Again I was in teacher mode and proceeded to give Posty a few lessons. Birddog is just as I pictured him. A really great guy to be around. I can see why he and Posty hang together. Besides with access to those pits if I lived out there he would be my BEST friend.
The rain never ran us off but the lightening did. We packed up and headed back to Barry's place for some much needed showers and relax time. Trav showed up and Posthole threw some steaks on the BGE that were better than Great! What he lacks in fishing skills he makes up for in cooking skills. That boy can cook!
Trav brought his AR over and he and I removed the front sight and replaced with a low block. Of course I forgot my tools but made do with stuff we robbed from Barry's took box, which is a whole nother story....
Ol Trav is a great guy that would be like a brother to me, he is down home people.
With much regret I had to load up and head halfway back across the country yesterday and get back to hay reality.
It was a great trip made possible by a lot of Goodhunters, but especially Posthole. I owe my brother Posty more than I can tell ya. He showed an old southern boy a lot of his country and put me on some good fishing. I REALLY needed that.
Hopefully the fishing lessons I gave you in some small way will serve as payment for all your hospitality! :)

airbud7
05-21-2017, 10:56 AM
Y'all just grown up Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn :D.....Glad y'all had good fun time

Captain
05-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Additional pictures of a world class fisherman and odd and ends.
Note that prosessional form...

BarryBobPosthole
05-21-2017, 12:32 PM
and the infamous 'lookaway' pose.

And I'm not at all sure what color the likker was in that yeti. And by yeti
i mean cup.

BarryBobPosthole
05-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Larke, you won't believe how honored I was to have you as a guest this week. I probably ran your little chubby legs off, but there was so much (and more) I wanted to showyou while you were here. You got to meet some of the people I think the most of in this old world and that was as important to me to show you as the outdoor stuff.
You and yours are welcome back any time my friend! A large time was had by all!

BKb

Captain
05-21-2017, 12:42 PM
I sure enjoyed it for sure. And I DO want to come back and fish them pits again. I could have lived there.
Everything was awesome!
I know I was probably an inconvenience, but it means the world to me that you (and Julie and those other dufes) took me in and showed me a great time! I owe you..... speaking of owing, since I left so early yesterday you can just mail me all the dollars you owe me....
Thanks again brother.

Thumper
05-21-2017, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=BarryBobPosthole;100822].....
and the infamous 'lookaway' pose.

8960[\QUOTE]

That 'lookaway' pose is about to get him in trouble, 'cause he can't see that big ol' gator sneakin' up behind him! :D

LJ3
05-21-2017, 07:23 PM
Very nice. group hug, fuckers!

Captain
05-21-2017, 07:44 PM
Tried to get you to go slack ass.

Booger
05-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Looks like a great trip.ugly fuckers, but nice trip.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Captain
05-21-2017, 09:17 PM
Looks like a great trip.ugly fuckers, but nice trip.

Now that's the pot calling the kettle black....
Booger is so ugly his momma use to borrow a baby to take to family reunions.

quercus alba
05-21-2017, 09:35 PM
was cap standing on a hump in that picture of the three of you?

Booger
05-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Hey Cap, U-G-L-y, you ain't git no alibi. You ugly, yeh yeh, you ugly.M-A-M-A, how u think you got that way, your mama, yeh yeh your mama.

Booger
05-21-2017, 09:43 PM
You so ugly you looked out da window and got arrested for mooning.

Captain
05-21-2017, 09:48 PM
was cap standing on a hump in that picture of the three of you?

Hell no. Posty is about 2 or 3 inches taller than me. He's a short shit also.

quercus alba
05-21-2017, 10:14 PM
Funny, I always figured posty for around six foot or so.

Thumper
05-21-2017, 10:31 PM
That pic looks like a munchkin reunion!

BarryBobPosthole
05-22-2017, 07:59 AM
They made me stand down the hill from them when we took that selfie. Claimed my head would be cut off in the pic if I didn't.

BKb

Thumper
05-22-2017, 11:32 AM
So it cut off your pants legs instead?

BarryBobPosthole
05-22-2017, 11:34 AM
We were all three soaked to the bone. So I was sagging I guess.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
05-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Captain didn't believe me about the space capsule until I showed it to him. Acted dubious about the highest hill in the world too.

BKB

Hombre
05-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Looks like a great time was had. Oklahoma is full of great people and pretty country side.

Big Skyz
05-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Looks like it was a good time. I know the one time I zoomed through Oklahoma that I was very surprised at what a beautiful place it was. I wouldn't mind spending more time in that state again someday.

LJ3
05-22-2017, 03:46 PM
I've always pictured Oklahoma to be a lot like Virginia.... minus the beefalo, of course.

Arty
05-22-2017, 08:51 PM
I can tell no one associated with this trip had a good time at all!