PDA

View Full Version : Ha! I must have an honest face ....

Thumper
05-26-2017, 05:45 PM
I'm just now getting around to unpacking my carry-on bag after our trip home from the left coast. We took a VERY large suitcase to check, and a carry-on with a change of clothes for both of us, my shaving kit, our toiletries and medications, etc. The usual stuff you'd kind'a like to have with you in case the airline should lose your luggage. Now, coming back was a different situation. I attended a few estate sales while in LA and had some pretty bulky stuff to bring home. Since the checked bag couldn't be over 50 lbs, I put all the lighter stuff in there and loaded the heavier stuff in my carry-on. I couldn't believe it, but when we checked our bag, it was EXACTLY 52 lbs! AND, Delta (in case you aren't aware) gives you a 2 lb. cushion if you're overweight for a total of 52 lbs. max. Unbelievable considering I had nothing to weigh it with beforehand at Lynn's mom's house!

Now, my carry-on? That's a whole 'nuther story. I bought a bunch of smalls from various sales, including about 15 kitchen knives which I packed in the checked bag. But, I had the heavies that I put aside for the carry-on. I had a Wilton bench vise, a Griswold skillet and a vintage electric juicer. I've sold a bazillion of those juicers as they are the best (non-commercial) juicer ever made IMO. In fact, I have 6-7 of 'em hanging around here that I haven't listed yet. These things were made in the '60's - '70's and weigh in at 5-6 lbs. Add to that the cast iron Griswold and then the big-boy! ... the vise at 42 lbs by itself! Now, I wrapped each piece in plastic and surrounded them with the heavier clothes (like my Levis) and I ended up with a carry-on bag that needed a forklift to get into the overhead bin!

Oooops! As I was celebrating my victory for getting everything packed, I suddenly realized this bag will be an SOB to get through security! I had that bag packed so well you couldn't have squeezed an extra toothbrush into the thing! Oh well, I'm past the point of no return. To start, the Uber driver who picked us up started loading the luggage in his trunk. I told him I'd get the carry-on as it's very heavy and he said it'd be no problem ... heck, how heavy could it be? Ha! He soon found out! I gave the bag a little boost to help him get it over the lip of his trunk. Once at the airport, all I could think of was praising the dufe who thought to put wheels on luggage because I swear that bag must have weighed 100 pounds! WTF took someone so long to think of that anyway?

Now we hit security at the gate. I was peeking over the TSA guy's shoulder as the bag went through ... and then the conveyor stopped. He studied the screen, then pulled the bag aside for inspection. (which I fully expected) I stood at the table while the inspector went to get my bag and I warned him it's extremely heavy. When he went to lift it, he looked at me and said, "My gosh! Is this thing full of lead?" He opened the bag and I commented, once he digs through everything, it will be a BITCH to get everything re-packed. He asked me what was in the bag and as I explained, he studied the x-ray image. He just shook his head and zipped it back up without removing a thing. Note, nothing was visible as it was all wrapped in plastic and clothing. Now it's time for me to be patted down. I always warn the TSA guys my back will feel VERY weird due to many back surgeries and I could imagine it prolly feels like I'm wearing a suicide vest with packs of C-4/PBX strapped around me! The dude shook his head, barely ran his hand down the side of my rib cage and motioned me on through!

Don't get me wrong ... I'm very happy I didn't have to re-pack that bag ... OR feel uncomfortable due to my back feeling like it's covered with alligator scoots ... but I could have had ANYTHING in that bag or under my shirt. Heck, half the x-ray image was of a cast iron frying pan ... it could have been blocking the image of most anything beneath it. And this was at LAX!

I already know I'm a handsome devil, but I must have a helluv'an honest face as well. :D

HideHunter
05-26-2017, 10:54 PM
lol.. I have a couple stories about airline security.. the last time - instead of having us throw the contents of our pockets in a tray - they said to put them in our carry-on. Only thing I had besides the cell phone, billfold and a little change was my custom toothpick holder. It's a metal tube, encased in deer antler and I imagine it's been through security at least a dozen times.

This time, they pulled me aside for inspection and like you I stood by the table. This poor guy had been through every part of that suitcase and I actually think he was considering tearing out the liner. Finally, I asked if he was looking for something specific and I'd help if I could. He said they X-ray tech said he *guaranteed* there was a pocket knife in that suitcase. Toothpick holder popped into my mind immediately and I told him to check in the zippered pocket in the front. He pulled it out and asked, "What is this thing?".. "Toothpick holder - the top screws off". He asked if I minded if he showed it to the tech. Of course I said have at it. X-ray tech said it showed up *exactly* like a pocket knife on the screen.. Always something. Oh - they'd already taken my fingernail clippers away from me on the way out... ;)