PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Orlando

Trav
01-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Hombre and I will be in Orlando in a couple of weeks (2/2/13) for work and we are going to have a fee day. I want to go to Seaworld but I am not sure he wants to go. Anybody know what would the chance would be at getting to do gator hunt?

BarryBobPosthole
01-10-2013, 01:42 PM
You should go to Disneyworld. Hombre could get a kid's rate probably.

I imagine there's some rides he couldn't get on though.

BKB

Bwana
01-10-2013, 01:51 PM
If you have ever wanted to skydive but aren't sure you are willing to pull the trigger or if you just want to see how freefalling is, I would give the wind tunnel a try.

HUGE fan tower that allows you to practice free-falling and I can tell you from experience it is NO where as easy as they make it look in the movies.

If you don't mind a drive, I LOVE the buffalo shrimp at Frenchy's Rock-a-way grill on the beach in Clearwater.

LJ3
01-10-2013, 02:06 PM
You're lucky Jimbo's too immobile to take you on a "river tour"

Booger
01-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Not sure about down there but here in N. Florida this is the off season. Most gators are dormant with little if any movement.

BarryBobPosthole
01-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I would say go see that eagles nest on Niner's webcam, but I'm afraid I'd be watching it and see you two f-----s get out of a rental and hear a BOOM.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
01-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Oh, my mistake. In Trav's case, you'd just see the window roll down.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
There's supposed to be some good bass fishin' down that way. Sea World's good bet if you want to do a theme park as they serve beer. Harry Potter World at Universal is also pretty cool if you're fan of the books. If you skip the rest of the park, it doesn't take a full day either.

Chicken Dinner
01-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Oh yeah. I wouldn't know, but I've been told there might be a strip club or three around town.

Thumper
01-10-2013, 02:44 PM
A hunt is out. Gator season is August and September, so scratch that. There are a zillion touristy places for airboat rides ... but gators tend to make themselves pretty scarce in cooler weather ... the hotter the better. Booger's in N. Florida and it can be a bit chilly up there. Down here, the avg. February temps are low in the mid-50's and high in the low to mid-70's ... not ideal to see gators, but it wouldn't be bad if the weather's decent. Like LJ says, I'm fairly immobile right now, but I do have a big ol' honkin' bottle of morphine with some percocet and vicodin "kickers", so I may be able to squeeze in a day on the river if you don't think the three of us would sink a canoe. 'Course, if we do, all we have to do is out-swim Hombre! ;)

As far as "tourist" type stuff? The sky's the limit and it kinda depends on what you're looking for. Heck, ya' got's everything from Legoland to Disney with everything imaginable in between as far as theme parks are concerned.

johnboy
01-10-2013, 03:32 PM
When I was last in Orlando many years ago I went to a snake farm (I think this was the place: http://www.reptileworldserpentarium.com/ ) and had a great time. It's a working venom extraction farm so you can watch through glass while they milk some pretty venomous critters. The 12' king cobra had every one on their toes! Anyway, for something a little different from Mickey, give it a try.

Thumper
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Yeppers, and along those same lines, if you want to stay close to the hotel, there's always Gatorland.

http://www.gatorland.com/

Trav
01-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks, we are staying at the Renaissance Orlando at Seaworld so might just stick around there.

Bwana
01-10-2013, 06:38 PM
I believe it is a Seaworld affiliated business as well, but Discovery Cove is a DANG cool experience according to my wife. You get a chance to go snorkeling and swimming with dolphins, etc. Pretty expensive but the park only allows a limited # of people.

The wind tunnel is just up the road a ways from Seaworld, just go north on International Drive. Good restaurants along the way also.

Hombre
01-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Bwana - We have one of those windtunnel things here in Seattle and been wanting to try it. I take it is worth the experience?

LJ3
01-10-2013, 09:31 PM
I think we should keep this thread goin' so BBP can keep lobbing those grenades :)

BarryBobPosthole
01-10-2013, 10:02 PM
They've got me on ignore, Len.

BKB

Thumper
01-10-2013, 11:21 PM
I think we should keep this thread goin' so BBP can keep lobbing those grenades :)

Who's BBP?

Trav
01-11-2013, 09:34 AM
I don't pay attention to long haired freaky people plus I don't want to incriminate my self by replying to those accusations. I think BBP is just jealous because his dream amusement park hasn't opened yet, DeliveranceLand. He really wants to try out the Ned Beatty ride. 446

Bwana
01-11-2013, 10:13 AM
While in Orlando a few years back the Missus and I went to one along with another couple and had alot of fun. The only real reason we even knew about it was that our buddy is a skydiver and wanted to work on his free fall so the rest of us tagged along. As I mentioned before, falling...make that controlled falling isn't as easy as it looks but if you do give it a try you will have some serious respect if you see what those jumpmasters can do.

The way the one we went to worked is that you decided how many minutes of free fall time you wanted and you paid accordingly. My buddy, the skydiver, did 15 minutes but suggest 2 minutes was likely as much as we wanted to bite off. I could have done a LITTLE more but 2 minutes was about right. All told the whole experience probably lasted less then an hour but it was a great way to get the rush, or at least part of it, without having to commit to stepping out of a perfectly good airplane.

Thumper
01-11-2013, 11:39 AM
That would be a pretty decent free-fall. I usually liked to jump at 13,500 feet and would normally have a little over a minute of free-fall.

I assume the fan you're talking about is the one across the street from Wet & Wild on International Drive.(?) We like to eat at a Chinese restaurant right next to that thing. I've never done it personally (the fan thingy).

Bwana
01-11-2013, 11:50 AM
That is the one Thumper.

BarryBobPosthole
01-11-2013, 11:54 AM
That would be a pretty decent free-fall. I usually liked to jump at 13,500 feet and would normally have a little over a minute of free-fall.

I assume the fan you're talking about is the one across the street from Wet & Wild on International Drive.(?) We like to eat at a Chinese restaurant right next to that thing. I've never done it personally (the fan thingy).

I'll bet streetlights came on from the shadow.

BKB

Thumper
01-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Did somebody say something?

Hello .... ?

Hellooooo...

Nevermind, I thought I heard something.

Big Boy
01-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Dude's got his A GAME on today !

Hombre
01-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Thump,

My vote is river tour.

Hombre

BarryBobPosthole
01-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Its been 30 years since I lived there, but the Silver River tour was always my favorite one. Original spot that the Tarzan movies were shot and is where the old Sea Hunt series was shot too.

BKB