PDA

View Full Version : "F" you Murphy!

Thumper
07-01-2017, 01:17 PM
AND your stinkin' law!

Warning! Thump post follows:

Around 11:00 this morning I realized it's frigging HOT! I glance at the thermostat and it was 86 %}]^*+~> degrees in the house. There's air (warm) coming out of the vents, so I head for the back yard. The o/s unit is running, but the fan is blowing cool air out of the unit. Now I'm hoping it's just low on "cool juice". Hmmm, I take a closer look and it's not frozen up ... the condenser and lines are clear, so it's most likely not low on juice. Ok, as an a/c layman, I'm figuring the compressor is not working. Dammit!

So, the first thing that hits me is .... why do these things always happen on a weekend? Worse yet, a HOLIDAY weekend!!! Plus the temps are supposed to be low 90's all week. I pull out the ol' cell phone and give my a/c guy a call. He answers his cell phone and hears my cheery voice. The convo went something like this:

"Lance ol' buddy! Are you in the neighborhood by any chance?"

Hi Jim, no, I just arrived at Anna Maria Island Beach. The family and I are spending the holiday weekend here. What's up buddy?"

I (in my saddest, most distressed voice) told him of my problem and what I've observed so far. He says, hmmm, sounds like the compressor is not working! (Maybe I know more about a/c systems than I thought) He asked if I'd be home over the weekend and I told him we're going to the Miss Florida pageant tonight, but we'll be around after that. He then asked if I could possibly wait until tomorrow as they haven't even checked into the hotel yet.

I asked what tomorrow had to do with anything and he said he'd leave the wife and kids on the beach and drive back to fix me up. WTF? Dude, that's a 3-1/2 hour round trip with NO traffic! Not to mention, traffic around the beach areas will be fubar this weekend. He then said he should be here around noon.

Damn! I may have to buy him a 6-pack! :D

HideHunter
07-01-2017, 04:15 PM
Wow.. Wow..

BarryBobPosthole
07-01-2017, 04:42 PM
You need to go buy an old empty cable spool and an extension cord, and a window air conditioner. Set the a/c on the cable spool table, sit yourself down in front of it, and enjoy your summer.

BKb

Captain
07-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Wossie, no one in south Florida (the keys) has AC. And you are in the more north cool part. What's your issue?

airbud7
07-01-2017, 08:58 PM
a fuse in the pull out has blown/ compressor needs both sides for 220v....condenser fan pulls off 1 leg (110v)

Edit: Did you really date a Thai girl that had a bigger dick than yours?....grapevine said so.

LJ3
07-01-2017, 10:22 PM
What airbud said. Check your buss fuses. You may get a cheap fix.

Big Muddy
07-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Day'um, Thump, I just couldn't do that to the a/c guy, while he's relaxing with his family on the weekend...sheesh, a 3-1/2 hour roundtrip???....if you couldn't get by with some fans, until he got back in town, ya'll could always stay for free at Lynn's hotel for a couple of nights.

I gotta agree with Cap.....you're a woose!!! ;)

Penguin
07-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Senor Murphy is one tough customer. Just be glad he hasn't looked over your roof or visited your garage.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
07-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Why Chilly Willy you old dog you. Its great to see you post after so long! Catch us up on the latest!

BKB

Thumper
07-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Well, look what the cat dragged in! Chilly Willy! Where have you been buddy? Bring us up to speed!

Edit: Well dang, I was writing the above when my a/c guy called. Looks like P-hole beat me to it by time I hung up and hit the send button. :)

Thumper
07-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Oh, back to you other dufes regarding the a/c, I don't even think I have fuses on each circuit (I've never seen 'em anyway), but all the circuit breakers are good. I'm HOPING it's just a capacitor. I've changed the one for my fan motor a dozen times, but I don't have a compressor capacitor layin' around. (and try to find parts on a 4th of July weekend). My buddy's van is a rolling parts department! I know I'm screwed if the compressor is bad, because obviously he won't have one, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's a simple fix. AND ... I'd never be a big enough jerk to insist he interrupt his vacation. Once he told me he was out of town, I asked if his partner was working the weekend. He's off doing his thing also. When I asked for a recommendation on who to call, he said if I ever called anyone else, he'd slap a knot on my head! He's a bit of a workaholic anyway and knows what CUSTOMER SERVICE used to be. Trust me, I tried talking him out of it, but he insisted. What'cha gonna do? He just called a few minutes ago and is just about to the south part of town (I'm on the north side). So it shouldn't be too long before I find out if we live or fry this weekend. (did ya' see what I did there?) ;)

Big Muddy
07-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Ok, you tried to talk him outta it......mighty nice of you.....you still a woose. ;)

So, I guess it's NOT, always as you say---"it's 79 degrees and always beautiful here, I'm sitting on the patio, watching scantily clad chicks in bikinis, jogging in front of the house, glancing my way and wanting my body." ;););)

Pretty sure they were thinking, "Hey, look at the old guy with 47 cats on his lap." ;)

Seriously, bro, I hope your a/c gets fixed at minimum cost to you.

Thumper
07-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Nope, there's a difference between living on the coast with that nice sea breeze ... I live inland with the poor people. ;)

Growing up in Florida, we never even owned a house with a/c (until I'd already moved out on my own). Then I spent 3-plus years in beautiful S.E. Asia (HOT) living in a village with the locals (with no electricity or running water). One thing about getting old AND fat, ya' reach the point ya' kinda "need" a/c! The worst point is, if I'm hot, I don't sleep. I like keeping the bedroom like a meat-locker! :(

Thumper
07-02-2017, 01:26 PM
I now have COLD air pouring from my vents!!!! Luckily, as I suspected, it was a condenser and the compressor was fine. The dang condenser was the size of a frigging coffee can. He replaced it and I had him go ahead and do a full service while he was here (took about 2 lbs. of cool juice). I'm gonna take a cold shower, turn on the old flat screen and lay in bed for a while with the bedroom vent aimed right at my face! Heck, once I get cooled down, I may even get on my knees and beg my honey for a BJ! :D

Big Muddy
07-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Why do you want peanut butter and jelly???......ohhhhh, pardon me, I miss-read the initials. ;)