PDA

View Full Version : The Good Lord works in mysterious ways....

Big Muddy
07-02-2017, 05:28 PM
We've been at the lakehouse, since yesterday afternoon, and the kids are supposed to come in Monday, and stay thru Thursday.....yesterday, about 4 pm, a rain/wind storm system moved thru the entire Ark. and MS Delta.....it wasn't that bad at Chicot, so I assumed the same was true at our home.....NOT !!!

Something told me that we better run home, today, and check things out.....man, I'm sure glad we did.....we found all the electricity knocked off, 3 inches of rain in the gauge, and big limbs all over the yard.....I called the rural power company, and they had us up and running in about 45 minutes.

Fortunately, everything was still frozen solid in the freezers, but I can imagine what a stinking mess it would have been, if I had ignored my gut feeling, and waited until Thursday to come home.....thank you, Lord.

BarryBobPosthole
07-02-2017, 05:31 PM
Good instincts!

BKB

quercus alba
07-03-2017, 07:29 AM
That probably should read "end stinks" but I won't go there

Thumper
07-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Wow! Glad everything turned out alright Muddy. Have a great holiday.

LJ3
07-03-2017, 09:38 AM
All that clean living gives you an edge!

Big Muddy
07-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Ha !!!, ya don't know me very well.....I'm the worst of the lost strayers.....that's the reason I have to rely on the "Man with the Compass." ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-03-2017, 10:57 AM
One of my grandpas wasa Freewill Baptist preacher. He called strayers 'backsliders'.

BKB

Big Muddy
07-03-2017, 11:14 AM
HA, yep, I'm one of those backsliders too.....ALL the time !!! ;)

Just curious, how do Freewill Baptist differ from Pentecost???

Captain
07-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Whole home generator with auto transfer switch...
I have them at both houses. Best money you can spend. Power is out for about 6 seconds, then the whole house is back on line.

Thumper
07-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Ha! P-hole, you just brought back one of my childhood memories of my grandfather! He was a Presbyterian preacher and after giving me a semi-stern "talking-to" about what a heathen I was becoming, he told me I was a back-slider!

Years later I was in a bar and they had a sign on the bar that said, Tonight's Special: Backsliding Presbyterian !! Of course I HAD to order one and before my first sip, I looked up and toasted my "Pop". (he died when I was 12)

Possibly ol' Pop was right, maybe I really AM a heathen ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-03-2017, 12:13 PM
HA, yep, I'm one of those backsliders too.....ALL the time !!! ;)

Its largely technical. I used to hear endless discussions about it. The Freewills do infrequently speak in tongues but my gramps believed that if anyone ever did and it was legit, there'd always be a translator. They differ from regular baptists on the topic of backsliders. The Freewills thought you could be lost after you were saved and the Southerns thought you got a lifetime guarantee.
Mainly what I remember is a lot of choctaws sitting in big open air buildings singing their heads off in all day 'singings'. The ladies would have those funeral home fans going, there'd be 'food on the ground', and there would be group after group of gospel singers. Those were some happy times.

BKB

Thumper
07-03-2017, 01:01 PM
I thought those were the "Holy-rollers". :)

BarryBobPosthole
07-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Purty much. I went to a Penecostal church with a friend when I was about twelve. An old man (who knows how old he really was, but we wasn't that spry) got the religion and ran from the back of the church to the front, on the backs of the pews.

That's one you don't forget.

BKB

LJ3
07-03-2017, 01:44 PM

I thought it was how many snakes are involved with the sermon

BarryBobPosthole
07-03-2017, 01:51 PM
No, those are the cults that do that shit. The mountains of SE Oklahoma have some clans like that.

BKB

LJ3
07-03-2017, 02:15 PM
I thought most of them are some form of extreme Pentecostal, no?

BarryBobPosthole
07-03-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure any organized religion claims them or vice versa. I might be wrong about that. Larke is prolly a secret pastor.

BKB

airbud7
07-03-2017, 03:41 PM
Is a backslider the same dude that fell off the wagon?

Mama used to tell me my room looked like a pigsty and if I didn't clean it up quick I got whooped with a switch.....

If I tried that with kids these days I would get locked up!...

Happy 4th y'all...

Nowadays I just turn off the wifi and watch them cry like baby's till the rooms cleaned up...