PDA

View Full Version : Banff/Jasper area

Bwana
07-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Heading to the Great White North next week to check off an item from my mom's bucket list and given I have never been there before I am looking for insight from anyone who has regarding "must-do" things to see and do as well as good places to eat. We are staying near some place called something like Sunwapta (sp?) Falls near Jasper for a few days and then at Canmore for a few more.

Suggestions?

johnboy
07-07-2017, 12:16 PM
I've been through/past Banff and Jasper many times on my trips to and from the coast but gotta admit that I never really spent much time in either place. You are hitting the middle of tourist season so expect lots of people especially Chinese and German tourists. Very popular spot for them.

One place in the Jasper area that I always thought was pretty cool is the drive up to Maligne Lake. Twisty turny road up the Malign River canyon, through beautiful scenery to the Lake. Nice afternoon drive.

Another scenic drive is the Icefield Parkway between Banff and Jasper.

No idea on restaurants as we haven't stopped to eat there in years.

Beautiful country for sure. Hope you have a great time.

Thumper
07-07-2017, 01:52 PM
Like Johnboy, I've been through a few times, but never stayed or ate there. BEAUTIFUL country. I saw two different groups of Big Horn Sheep as I drove through. (I think something like 7-8 of them). One group was right beside the road and I could have almost reached out the window and touched them. Those were the first I'd ever seen in the wild. I don't know much about them really, but I was surprised they ALL had massive horns with a great curl to them. I'm assuming they hang around in bachelor groups like deer until mating season. (??)

I also saw bear and moose on that trip, but can't remember exactly where I was. ( i drove from Montreal to Vancouver. A VERY memorable trip)!

Penguin
07-07-2017, 03:22 PM
Sweet trip bwana. Never been there myself but I'd like to. Have fun buddy.

Will

Old Den
07-08-2017, 04:29 AM
We stop often in Jasper as we go to Calgary to see our son and family about every 6-8 weeks. The Sunwapta falls are about a hour drive south of Jasper so if you are staying a few days could be inconvenient as not much there other than lodge and small cafe. Lots of things to look at if you take time to drive around Jasper and lots of short easy hikes. We don't stay in Jasper much usually make it to Calgary in a day but we used to take kids over there to ski or hike and most hotels are good the newer ones are on the east side of town. Nice to stay in Jasper you can walk every where in town often see deer elk and black bear in or near town. There's a good number of restaurants depending on what you want. we always stop for lunch and then supper on the way back. We've enjoyed Earls, Jasper Curry, The Pines but usually stop for lunch at the Athabasca Hotel. the Bear Paw Bakery (There's two of them) and Scoops for ice cream are good to have something to snack on when walking around. When are you going there? Any questions let me know and see if I can help.

Thumper
07-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Hello O/D, thanks for posting! I see you've dropped in a couple times in the past year, but we'd sure like to have you post more often. This place is pretty slow during the summer and even slower on the weekends, but it sure is nice to have an extra person around to help give Posthole a rough time! :)

johnboy
07-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Hey OD, nice to see another BC'r on here! What part of the province do you call home?

Old Den
07-08-2017, 02:03 PM
johnboy we are in Prince George been here 32 years it's as far south that I've lived in BC so guess I'm a up country guy as they say in the lower mainland. Jim I always plan to come in a post but this retirement life just keeps me busy lol. I don't see any posts from Bucky is he still with us.

Thumper
07-08-2017, 02:43 PM
O/D, Johnboy is on Vancouver Island. Bucky decided he don't like us no mo' and moved on to greener pastures. Plus, he and mama bought themselves a motorhome and he spends a lot of his time wreaking havoc on the highways nowadays. ;)

Bwana
07-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Old Den, thanks for the eatery ideas.

As for when we are going, leaving in 3 days.

BarryBobPosthole
07-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Hey Dennis! Good to see you post again!

Bwana, we got to spend a few days in Banff on a business function. We didn't see a lot of the stuff they have to do there but if I ever got a chance I'd sure enough go back. What I did get to see of the Canadian Rockies really impressed me.
Watch out for the surly elk if you go in the fall! They're e erywhere in that town!

BKB

Old Den
07-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Barry you are right about those elk. I was walking from motel to corner store in Jasper one winter day when I passed a yard a cow elk was in eating some shrubs. When I looked at her I made eye contact and right away I knew that was trouble. I don't know what was worse being scared she would catch me as I ran down the street with her on my heels or the embarrassment of folk laughing at me. If I could have got her out of the park she would have been hamburger lol.