PDA

View Full Version : Hot dayam

BarryBobPosthole
07-10-2017, 08:34 AM
My wife's family has a really fun tradition of meeting up on the Current River in the Ozark region of Mizzou for a weekend float. We usually meet and camp at a big group area in a state park at Round Spring. There are plenty of floaters but most are canoes and kayaks and the float is a nice quiet one. I usually fish here and there along the way. Canoeing there is basically using your paddle as a rudder and your other hand for a beer.
This year we rented rooms at a place called The Landing a ways on down the river. We floated it in tubes. Julie and I each had a tibe and we had a cooler tube tied off too. There were so many floaters it was like freaking Woodstock. The scenery was unbelieveable.
It really wasn't my cup of tea though. In the middle of all these people, people were powering through in 18 ft jons with 40 horse jet outdrives. And when i say powering up I mean on plane right up through the middle of a river full of tubers. Bunches of them. The typical setup wasa jon boat with a bimini, a chick laying on the front deck and a couple of tatted up thirty somethings sitting in the seats in Raybans.
I told them even though we had a good time, next year we'd be camping somewhere on a quieter part of the river.
And my poor nose took beating from the sun.

BKB

Thumper
07-10-2017, 08:59 AM
We used to do the same on the Colorado River when I lived in L.A. There was a large group of us (anywhere from 12-20 depending on work schedules, family issues, etc), but we'd always hit the river for the Labor Day and the Memorial Day holidays. It started getting a bit crowded on the water since everyone had their personal tube, as well as their "cooler tube" in tow. One year, I took a huge, extra tube (for a farm tractor). A 100 qt. (?) cooler squeezed in for a perfect, tight fit, so we'd just fill the one cooler. It was a huge hit and from that trip forward, we stayed with the central cooler idea. There were always a few non-tubing volunteers with boats who'd stay back at camp or head up river exploring, then would come down river at a pre-arranged time and place to shuttle us back to camp. It was always something I looked forward to.

BarryBobPosthole
07-10-2017, 09:03 AM
One of my favorite places to tube is the Guadalupe River in the Hill Country of Texas. 68 degree water and 100 degree days. My ex and I used to camp on the river and hitchhike with our tubes up the river and then float back to camp. In those days, locals would give you a lift in the back of their truck if you stood by the side of the road.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
07-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Funny how some folks just lose all common courtesy when they get on a boat. I was out on the Bay yesterday and at least 50% of the chatter on the marine radio seems like it involves someone not using common sense. My favorite comment of the day was, "50/50 doesn't mean you get the middle."

Thumper
07-10-2017, 09:58 AM
My pet peeve is the senseless morons on jet-skis.

BarryBobPosthole
07-10-2017, 10:44 AM
These guys were running on plane literally two feet way from tubers. I guess somebody will have to get runned over before Missouri bans them on that river. And that's a shame too. But they are fucking up an awesome natural resource.

BKB

Captain
07-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Curmudgeon.

BarryBobPosthole
07-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Darn tootin'. And proud of it.

BKB

LJ3
07-10-2017, 02:29 PM
so if I'm reading between the lines... a boat came by,s cared BBP, he dropped his beer and now the government needs to make it so he can feel safe again. Sound about right?

BarryBobPosthole
07-10-2017, 02:33 PM
No fuckstick. They knew better than to veer over towards me. I might've had to flip 'em.

BKB

LJ3
07-10-2017, 04:44 PM
I don't think I'd be able to NOT yell at them if they were creating a dangerous situation for others. If you want to endanger yourself, I'll hold your beer and watch. Whole nutha lebbel if you endanger others. That's just being an asshole.

BarryBobPosthole
07-10-2017, 04:58 PM
There was also a lot of johnny laws around. We saw two or three of them with a perp in front.

BKb

Trav
07-10-2017, 10:31 PM
so if I'm reading between the lines... a boat came by,s cared BBP, he dropped his beer and now the government needs to make it so he can feel safe again. Sound about right?

I think this scenario makes the most sense.