PDA

View Full Version : Funny How Stuff Changes

BarryBobPosthole
07-12-2017, 09:21 AM
I read somewhere, hellifiknow if its true, that homo sapiens intelligence hasn't increased a nickels worth in the last ten thousand years or so. Fact is, our brain sizes are now shrinking.
So that guy sitting in camp flaking a new point before he went out hunting or fishing was just as smart as us today from an intelligence standpoint. Sure, we know more about some things than he did but what really makes us smarter? Interesting question.

And from thnking about that, I ended up thinking about this: Is the shedding of stuff in our culture a sign we're improving ourselves or not? Take for example, harelip jokes. Really. When I was younger it seemed like there was always a harelip joke going around and always some guy who'd tell it, doing the harelip voice, and everyone laughed. Tell one of those in polite company these days and see how it goes over. Little Moron jokes were all the rage in those days. How the hell they got from coast to coast is another topic but that's another one that's become impolite. I only bring these up because they are something anybody over 50 who's heard a joke can relate to.

Anyway, we've cast off the purposeful indignity we inflict on others with harelip jokes and with little moron jokes. But are we better off for it or not? Who gets to decide these things?

Woodeye woodeye!

BKB

quercus alba
07-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Don't get me on my soapbox about the PC police. I can see how a moron joke could be offensive since you can't throw a rock without hitting two or three. Common curtesy dictates you don't tell harelip jokes in front of a harelip. The bulk of PCness is bullcrap in my opinion. I think society is regressing

BarryBobPosthole
07-12-2017, 10:37 AM
My problem isn't with your opinion of PC crap. My problem is figuring out what it means most of the time.

BKB

Thumper
07-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Ha ha! I'll have to say, you did drag a smile out of me as it brought back memories of earlier times and the jokes that went around. To top it off, you just HAD to finish with the "woodeye woodeye" punchline! (I told that one a bazillion times as a kid)

BTW .... how do you keep a Polack in suspense? ;)

quercus alba
07-12-2017, 11:13 AM
My problem isn't with your opinion of PC crap. My problem is figuring out what it means most of the time.

BKB

My opinion or the pc crap?

BarryBobPosthole
07-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Figuring out what really should be eliminated from culture and what is just being PC.

Consider this: Around the turn of the century (the 19th not the 20th), America realized it was the only world power that didn't have colonies. The West was won and the frontier was considered tamed. So we went to war with Spain over Cuba and the Phillipines. At the end of the war we ruled over them quite contrarily to the words written in our Declaration of Independence. Our justification was that they were our 'little brown brothers' and we needed to take care of them because they couldn't take care of themselves. Quite literally, by the way, that was our rationale for our treatment of our own native peoples. Today, that racist attitude wouldn't be tolerated. Did we remove that attitude from our culture because our culture progressed or because it was the PC thing to do?

BKB

HideHunter
07-12-2017, 11:45 AM
It took me a long while to figure out the fascination with shooting Zombies. I think I finally figured it out. We can't shoot japs. gerries, indians,, or pretty much anything else without offending someone. As a group Zombies just haven't gotten organized enough to launch a protest. btb... I was the hl *master*. ;)

quercus alba
07-12-2017, 11:51 AM
I think a bit of both. I think culturally we made some positive change but the powers that be decided if a little is good then a lot would be great. Then it became a voting block to be appeased. Now I don't think the right left or center knows what the devil is happening, I certainly don't

BarryBobPosthole
07-12-2017, 11:54 AM
That could be why superheroes are so popular nowadays too. As long as its a bug hunt....

BKB

Thumper
07-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Can we still tell blonde jokes?

BarryBobPosthole
07-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Haha I don't make the rules, I just bend the heck out of them.

Yesterday was the first anniversary of me and Renaldo starting our close friendship. It feels wierd as shit knowing I had somehing in me that was trying to kill me in pretty cruel ways and then I had surgery and zip, it was gone. Almost as if I didn't pay enough dues or something. I mean, rehab was a certified bitch, but nothing like I've seen friends go through.

Anyway, I only bring that up because when they took out my kidney they somehow took out a big part of my filter too. So PC or not is not any kind of filter any more in my brain.

BKB

Big Muddy
07-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Speaking of pc sheeit.....I got my azz chewed on the other day....I was talking to a lady the other day about a young couple who just had a new baby.....she informed me that the infant had been born with both sex organs.....I said, "Dang, that's a shame, are they going to surgically remove one set of sex organs, or just leave the child in a hermaphroditic state ???

You woulda thought I had stuck a branding iron to her azz.....her face turned red, and she said that was a horrible thing to say, and it was not pc to mention that word, when referring to humans, and it wasn't even a scientific term.

Well, that pizzed me off because I know better.....I said, "Excuse me, but evidently, you skipped your biology classes at Ole Miss, so google it, when you get home.".....then, she said, "Well, it might be a scientific term, but the pc term is 'unisex' ".....to which I replied, "No ma'am, you're wrong again. A hermaphrodite can't be unisexual. The term you're looking for is "intersexual."

By now, she's really pizzed, but I caved in to her and said, "Okay, if it sounds more pc to you, I'll call the kid an intersexual".....as I was walking away, I turned and said, "But that sounds pretty queer to me.".....that'll teach her!!! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-12-2017, 02:02 PM
What did they put on the baby's birth certificate?

BKB

Big Muddy
07-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Good question.....I got no idea.....but, the scientific term is still "hermaphrodite", so maybe that's what the doctor has to put on the birth certificate.

BarryBobPosthole
07-12-2017, 02:22 PM
I think I'd refer to it as 'Pat'.

BKB

Thumper
07-12-2017, 02:37 PM
Ha ha! Ready for a Thump story? I was at a Hollywood party in the very early 80's and met a gorgeous blonde who worked for a production studio in town. We hit it off pretty well and spent most of the evening hanging out. I had to work the next day, so I asked her out for the following weekend and she gave me her number and address. That weekend, I picked her up at her place and I don't even remember where we went, but late that evening, we ended up back at her apartment (where I had every intention of spending the night). We had a couple of drinks (I was drinking Black Russians in those days) and we were moving along at a pretty rapid pace. Things started getting hot and heavy, then all of a sudden she stopped me and said there was something she needed to tell me. (I thought, "DANG!! Right NOW??? WTF?") But, I nicely said, "Ok, what's up?" She then told me she's a hermaphrodite! I'll have to admit, I had no clue what a hermaphrodite was at that time, but it sounded ominous. After a few uncomfortable minutes, I admitted I had no idea what she was talking about. (I was really hoping it didn't mean she was a carrier for some exotic disease!) :hair

Well, she went on to explain what it is and that she was born that way. She told me a bit about her life growing up and then asked if I'd like to see what she was talking about. I swear, I was sweating bullets. A part of me was super curious ... but a bigger part of me said, "Ummmm, NO THANKS!" I had a vision of boinking away with her "package" getting in the way! Of course, there was always the thought in the back of my mind, "If you boink a hot looking hermaphrodite, are you gay?" ;) (Ok, don't even start with the Thai jokes!)

I kind of wound the conversation down, thanked her for a great evening, ended up going home and never saw her again. I have to admit, in a weird sort of way (I said weird, not GAY), I'd have kind'a liked to see wtf that shit looked like ... just to say I've actually seen one in person!

BarryBobPosthole
07-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Actually, you'd be seeing 'two' in person.

BKB

Thumper
07-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Ha! Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll tell you one thing for sure, she was ALL woman otherwise! Tall, but no adam's apple. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Just FYI, it wouldn't be the adam's apple that'd be the problem.

BKb

Thumper
07-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Point well taken. ;)

Chicken Dinner
07-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Thanks, I needed a smile today. QA and BM, a couple of your comments are pure internet gold.

Chicken Dinner
07-12-2017, 03:11 PM
In Thump's story, I wonder why the poor thing just didn't get the operation. It's long been rumored that Jamie Lee Curtis was born "intersexual and had the operation and I'd boink her in a minute.

Penguin
07-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Hard to say Posthole.

I'm not sure I'll ever completely gain clarity on these issues. Age has changed me. I think now that humans would do well to re-read their Tolkien and genuflect. :p

Maybe we aren't cut out to have the superpowers of the elves. Nor the heroic aspects of Aragon and the royalty. And certainly not the wisdom and insight of Gandalf. Maybe they aren't proper role models at all. Maybe the quest to become gods and conquer the stars is a fools errand.

Hobbits enjoy a good pipe. A well brewed pint. An extra seedcake at lunch. They don't have all the answers. They don't set out to conquer life. They muddle thru. And are content with the little things. Not a bad way to be.

Will

Captain
07-13-2017, 07:01 AM
Why are y'all so against personal computers? (PC) :D

quercus alba
07-13-2017, 07:24 AM

The liberal media supports them

Captain
07-13-2017, 08:42 AM
That's reason enough for me...

jb
07-13-2017, 01:00 PM
How about Pollock Jokes ?

Thumper
07-13-2017, 01:07 PM
How about Pollock Jokes ?

Ha ha ha! You're slowing down in your old age Bubba! Check the 4th post on page 1. ;)

BTW .... how do you keep a Polack in suspense?

jb
07-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Heck, I even spelled it wrong :waving

BarryBobPosthole
07-13-2017, 03:32 PM
You mean like the Pollock space expedition to the sun? The one they're doing at night so it isn't so dang hot?

BKB

Arty
07-14-2017, 01:10 AM
I think I'd refer to it as 'Pat'.
BKB

Haha!

Arty
07-14-2017, 01:13 AM
They are full of fake news!

Thumper
07-14-2017, 01:25 AM
You mean like the Pollock space expedition to the sun? The one they're doing at night so it isn't so dang hot? BKB

Well dang, you must have attended Bubba's spelling class! ;)

Polack:

The noun Polack (/ˈpoʊlɑːk/ or /-læk/); in the contemporary English language, is an ethnic slur and a derogatory reference to a person of Polish descent.

1) It is an Anglicisation of the Polish masculine noun Polak, which denotes a Polish male or a person of Polish ethnicity and unspecified gender.

2) However, the English loanword "Polack" (note the spelling difference) is considered an ethnic slur in the United Kingdom and is therefore considered insulting in nearly all contemporary usages.

In the United States, the term is likewise a slur whose offensiveness varies widely by context.

BarryBobPosthole
07-14-2017, 06:13 AM
I was telling my oldest grandson about the cartoon characters I watched growing up, so we bought a package of Looney Toons on Amazon from the late 40's to the early 50's. That's actually what made me think of posting this thread. Talk about your basic history lesson in PC, watching those will make you realize how much things have changed in what's acceptable socially.

BKB

Thumper
07-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Anyone remember Amos & Andy? Odd, I've never seen re-runs on tv. I'd think that would REALLY be non-PC these days. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-14-2017, 08:56 AM
I can remember seeing some Amos and Andy episodes on TV but I don't remember anything about them. My Dad wasa big fan of some local radio guys named Lum and Abner. They were before my time but I remember my Dad and my uncles talking and laughing about them.
BkB

LJ3
07-14-2017, 09:29 AM
The PC thing is an artificial construct so that those who embrace it can somehow feel like they've changed for the better. Some even tout it as having evolved to a greater degree than someone that has no use for it.

Just another way to separate us all. Like we needed another method to divide us.

BarryBobPosthole
07-14-2017, 09:38 AM
The PC thing is an artificial construct so that those who embrace it can somehow feel like they've changed for the better. Some even tout it as having evolved to a greater degree than someone that has no use for it.

Just another way to separate us all. Like we needed another method to divide us.

Wow. Now there's an interesting concept. So what you're saying is that the social PC rules that prevent us from verbally disparaging one another's race are more divisive than the disparagements themselves.

BKB

LJ3
07-14-2017, 09:50 AM
At least equally so.

And hey, when you lean in and tell an off color joke, are you not being inclusive to like minded people?

It's team building FFS!

Thumper
07-14-2017, 11:26 AM
We just had a huge sinkhole open up in St Pete. It swallowed a boat and a large house, including the yard and street in front of it. It's also starting to swallow the house next door and is growing bigger by the minute. The news folks have been calling it a "depression" all morning. WTF? We have bazillions of sinkholes down here and I've always heard them referred to as what they are ... sinkholes! I'm thinking, wtf, is the word "sinkhole" now banned by the PC Police for some unknown reason? Just a while ago, one of the newscasters made the announcement that the "depression" has now been deemed to be a "sinkhole"! Duh! :crazy

Chicken Dinner
07-14-2017, 12:03 PM
That's offensive to everyone suffering from depression.

BarryBobPosthole
07-14-2017, 12:10 PM
But sinkhole might be offensive to all the lowly sinkhole bastards in the world.

BKB