PDA

View Full Version : Tomato pies.....

Big Muddy
07-13-2017, 02:04 PM
This time of year, just about everybody down here is making tomato pies....if you've never tried it, don't knock it.....cheap to make and delicious.

Ingredients
1 9-inch pie shell; pre-baked
1/2 cup chopped onion
3-4 tomatoes, some cut in half horizontally, and some roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup sliced basil
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Tabasco
2 slices of cooked crumbled bacon
Freshly ground black pepper

Layer ingredients in pie shell. Top with more cheese, thin-sliced tomatoes, and crumbled bacon.
Place in oven and bake at 350°F until browned and bubbly, anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes.

quercus alba
07-13-2017, 02:47 PM
never had tomato pie but my wife and grand daughter love tomato gravy

BarryBobPosthole
07-13-2017, 03:29 PM
You mean spaghetti sauce?

And it'd taste better prolly if you let them get ripe first.

BKB

HideHunter
07-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Well - I'd try it.. but it looks like if you'd just sprinkle a pound of boiled peanuts over it you'd have an even better reason to throw it away..

Thumper
07-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Uhhhh, I'd try a bite, but it just ain't grabbin' me at all right now. BUT ... I learned a long time ago not to knock it 'til I've tried it. (I try to obey that rule mostly for food only)

BarryBobPosthole
07-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Well - I'd try it.. but it looks like if you'd just sprinkle a pound of boiled peanuts over it you'd have an even better reason to throw it away..

Hahahahaha....sez the man between bites of raccoon frickazee.

BKB

Captain
07-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Not me. The only way I will eat a tomato is fried green tomatoes or green tomato pickles.
A red ripe tomato taste like shit to me. Never will I ever try another one.
It's sorta like the way JB describes boiled peanuts. Nasty!

BarryBobPosthole
07-13-2017, 06:25 PM
That ain't right.

BKB

Captain
07-13-2017, 06:29 PM
Maybe, but it is what it is and I cannot stand a tomato.

Thumper
07-13-2017, 06:39 PM
That's weird. Just last night, Lynn made a tomato salad to go with my meal. Just a bowl of tomato wedges with salad dressing. Pretty refreshing.

quercus alba
07-13-2017, 07:08 PM
I cannot fathom a burger without a big slice of juicy red tomato. Love to smoke them and stuff them with cottage cheese and green onions tt

Captain
07-13-2017, 08:10 PM
Nastiest thing ever grown in a garden.

Trav
07-13-2017, 09:37 PM
That is a real purty picture but I am with Cappy, I gots no use for tomatoes.

airbud7
07-13-2017, 09:53 PM
I can't believe Cappy don't like home grown tomatoes/ mayo and good bread...some salt and pepper...I'm hungry thinking about it!

Did I say Bacon too.....:headbang

Thumper
07-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Throw in a lettuce leaf and you'll have yourself a BLT. ;)

Big Muddy
07-13-2017, 10:00 PM
This coming Sunday, it's my turn to cook our monthly brotherhood breakfast at church.....if I showed up without at least a gallon of my famous tomato gravy, I think the guys would lynch me....I use a mixture of strong fresh-brewed coffee and warm sweet milk for the liquid, instead of water.....dang good stuff.

quercus alba
07-13-2017, 10:17 PM
Materphobes running rampant here. I don't know if there's any veggie I won't eat.

My mother used to make tomato pudding. She'd cook down a bunch then add a couple cups of sugar and simmer it till it got thick. Not the best use for tomatoes in my opinion but my dad loved it

airbud7
07-13-2017, 10:26 PM
Throw in a lettuce leaf and you'll have yourself a BLT. ;)

Yep^....Good Stuff!

Arty
07-14-2017, 01:00 AM
Nastiest thing ever grown in a garden.

Don't like tomatoes?!? You must have bumped your head on a tractor axle when you was a youngen!!!

Thumper
07-14-2017, 01:17 AM
I guess Lynn had a pile of 'maters she had to use up. We're leaving town in the morning to spend a few days on the coast, so she didn't want them sitting around rotting. She made another tomato wedge salad for me with her homemade balsamic dressing (to go with the nice steak she cooked). Dang 'dem 'maters was good! ;)

quercus alba
07-14-2017, 07:14 AM
she don't have to use them all up before you leave Jimbo, just set them out on the counter, those 47 cats will eat them. It's amazing what cats will eat when you cut off the Tender Vittles

Thumper
07-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Two of our cats LOVE lettuce. They go absolutely bonkers when Lynn makes a salad. I have no idea how they know it's even there. Lynn will quietly sneak the lettuce out of the fridge, and before she even makes it to the kitchen counter, those two are right there ... no matter where they were in the house before she brought it out. They can devour a lettuce leave in no time flat!

Chicken Dinner
07-14-2017, 10:42 AM
Man, I love me some 'maters and I'm going to try that recipe when my vines start throwing fruit. I've even got a couple of "yellow boys" (or something like that) that'll make it all pretty like the picture. We eat a ton of fresh tomatoes in the summer time: tomato salad, tomato and cucumber salad, cabrese salad, slice tomatoes, BLT. Man, I'll eat a good fresh vine ripened tomato anydamnway I can get it.