PDA

View Full Version : My new 103 years old shotgun

jb
07-19-2017, 09:48 AM
I'm a trap shooter and one of the classic trap guns is/was the Winchester Model 12. Name came from the year it was invented 1912 by John Browning, but production wasn't started till 1914. They made 1,900,000 of them.
I bought this first year production Model 12 off a buddy, sometime during it's lifetime it's been reconditioned with new wood and new bluing, but still the action, barrel and innards are 103 years old.
Haven't shot it yet but that will take place this afternoon, should be fun.
We have some fun pump gun shoots around here and that's one reason I wanted this classic.
I'll tell you later how it works.

BarryBobPosthole
07-19-2017, 10:34 AM
My brother has an old Winchester pump shotgun that has a hammer. Its a neat old gun.

BKb

Thumper
07-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Wow, that brings up many fond memories. My old hunting/fishing partner just passed away last February. I first met and hunted with him in 1983. We immediately bonded and became close, life-long friends after that. The ONLY shotgun he ever carried was his old Model 12. Birds, turkey, rabbits ... it didn't matter. In fact, it was the only gun he ever deer hunted with and fired slugs through it. I think it was something like 15-20 years ago, the stock loosened up and could not be tightened for some reason, but he continued carrying it even though he had two large gun cabinets full of excellent alternatives. He once told me that after a couple years of begging, his dad bought him that old, used, Model 12 for his 12th birthday. That would have been June 12, 1951 (we were usually in Canada, bear hunting and Walleye fishing on his birthday). He was still actively hunting with that old Model 12 up until the day he died. I have quite a few pics around here of him carrying that old gun during the various hunts we'd share.

HideHunter
07-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Nice gun Jb.. I've had several. Don't think I have any left.

My brother has an old Winchester pump shotgun that has a hammer. Its a neat old gun.

BKb

Model '97.. Good old gun but they're prone to slam-fire when they get worn. I've seen two of them go "bang"..