PDA

View Full Version : Book Review: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humanknd

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2017, 11:07 AM
by Yuval Noah Harari.

I may have gushed about this book before, but bear with a forgetful curmudgeon.

First off, this is a book, obviously, about human history. Secondly, its written by an historian not an anthropologist. So I read it with a critical eye. There are so many types of historians today that its really necessary to do research on the historian as much as the history when you pick something up. Especially a 'New York times bestseller'.
But human history is more than science. And historians set down more opinions than scientists do.
So this book has some opinions too, and honestly that is the part that interested me the most. Especially when he writes about what separated Sapiens from the other human species, Neanderthals and Homo Erectus.
This would make a good audiobook if you have some windshield time.
This same guy has a new book out now about human future.
Innersting.

BkB

Thumper
07-23-2017, 11:36 AM
So this book has some opinions too, and honestly that is the part that interested me the most. Especially when he writes about what separated Sapiens from the other human species, Neanderthals and Homo Erectus. BkB

So, since I'm a BUSY retiree with not much time to read, can we have a synopsis of his opinion?

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2017, 11:43 AM
we're all fucked.

BKb

Thumper
07-23-2017, 11:48 AM
DAMN!!! I'm sure glad it's just an opinion! :hair

(BTW, I'd have expected a synopsis like that from Archer, except, maybe with fewer words.) ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2017, 11:52 AM
LOL its not realy one 'of those' books that's supposed to make us feel bad for being humans. I would have out it down about page two if I thought it was. Which is another type of 'historians', the ones who would make us feel guilty for climbing to the top of the evolutionary ladder (at least here on earth).

BKB

Hombre
07-23-2017, 01:44 PM
Probably the most resonating with me is how progress is not really progress as perceived. Example as we moved from hunter/gathers and into agriculture it was seen as progress however then we grow population on that and can't go back to a life that may have been less demanding

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Exactly! I thought that was a pretty good observation too. The Cultural Revolution was the most interesting part to me.

BKB