PDA

View Full Version : Wow! I discovered something new (to me) ... and super cool!

Thumper
07-23-2017, 03:48 PM
I was flipping through the channels looking for the Indy (NASCAR) race and stumbled on something that caught my attention. It was on ESPN2 ... drone racing! Normally, I wouldn't think something like that would interest me, but I couldn't stop watching. Heck, I was watching one of the DRL's (Drone Racing League) World Championship races which are held all over the world. (the races I watched today were in Munich) Damn! It was exciting. They set courses up in abandoned warehouses, shopping malls, etc. and it's like a tight obstacle course, BUT .... these frigging drones are flying 80-90 MPH through narrow doors, around pillars, up/down stairwells, etc, etc. Talk about the need for quick reaction times! They also have custom, dedicated, professional courses set up for some races .. like the final championship race in Dubai last year. They have crashes, of course, and even have pit stops, during a longer race, to refuel (change batteries). This championship pays $100,000 to the winning pilot. Heck, I even missed the start of Indy today because I just couldn't turn away from the drone racing!

I guess I'll have to check the DRL schedule and maybe follow these races for a while. My first impression sure is positive so far. (if you want to see some races, there are some clips posted on YouTube)

Here's a short DRL video addressing the 2017 season. DEFINITELY GO TO FULL SCREEN MODE!

<iframe width="520" height="293" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/32FbtCrEDAU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trav
07-23-2017, 04:28 PM
They are pretty cool, I don't know how those guys can control them at those speeds. Mine can hit 40mph in sport mode and I can really get away from you pretty quick.

DeputyDog
07-24-2017, 09:55 AM
I've seen them too. They are pretty interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk