PDA

View Full Version : Favorite fast food indulgence

quercus alba
08-03-2017, 10:06 AM
I'm a fast food junkie but right now KFC chicken livers with mashed potatoes and gravy and The DQ four piece chicken strip dinner with fries, country gravy and Texas toast are neck and neck in the poll. However Arby's Philly beef and Swiss with curly fries is moving up fast

HideHunter
08-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Anyone who would eat liver would steal chickens... Why don't you dump some boiled peanuts on there? Then when you throw it away the possums won't even eat it... :D

I very seldom ever get to where there's fast food.. Usually ends up being The Big M and a quarter-pounder and fries..

quercus alba
08-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Better put a lock on the henhouse then cause I love me some chicken livers

johnboy
08-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Not much for fast food at all but an occasional indulgence in Lees extra spicy/crispy chicken does hit the spot.

Hombre
08-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Taco Bueno.....moving from Oklahoma to Washington Mexican food in general I miss something awful

Thumper
08-03-2017, 11:07 AM
I generally don't care for chicken livers, but Lynn makes a killer rumaki that's to die for. Now calves liver and onions, I can destroy ... but that ain't 'fast food'. We do have a few independent fast food joints in town (one's actually a convenience store and the other is drive thru or walk-up window only) and I can put a hurtin' on their fried chicken gizzards. I'll add hot sauce to make a real treat even better.

I suppose you're going for chain type places. Popeye's Fried Chicken is my favorite. For burgers, I prefer a Burger King Whopper over a Big Mac ... the charcoal grilled flavor is what wins me over. The problem is, our nearest BK is about 10-minutes from here, but we have a McD's 2-blocks from the house. If I'm in a pinch and feel like fast food, I can grab lunch at the drive-thru and have it home within a minute (if I catch the light at the corner). I even have the McD's app on my phone and get BOGO's, free fries ... that sort of thing.

quercus alba
08-03-2017, 11:20 AM
I've heard that Thump in a fried chicken joint is a thing of legend. Rumor has it that they're producing a documentary on it and he's been banned from KFC in 27 states.

We're in the presence of a master

HideHunter
08-03-2017, 11:25 AM
It really does amaze me how differently we must "taste" things. Liver is one of the *very* few things I absolutely can't stomach. Buddy and I did the "Dances With Wolves" thing with a deer liver a couple years ago. It's no worse raw than cooked.. but.. that ain't good. If you chop the liver up in the chicken gravy you've ruined it for me.. I mean I'd scrape it off my plate.. Now, I love hearts and gizzards. Easy to figure that out.. the heart and gizzard is meat.. the liver is *guts*.. ;)

Big Muddy
08-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Finally, something Thump and I agree on.....Popeyes chicken is the best of the fried chicken places.....as a side note, wifey had some Churches chicken coupons, and brought home a couple of snack boxes with a wing and a breast.....those cheap idiots cut their breasts in two pieces, and you get only one half a breast and a wing.

Chicken Dinner
08-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Put me down as another Popeye's fan when it comes to fried chicken. For Burgers, I'd choose 5 Guys. Although, I do recall enjoying Whataburger when I was out in West Tejas about 30 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hombre
08-03-2017, 12:31 PM
At Popeyes don't forget the red beans and rice.

Chicken Dinner
08-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Always!

At Popeyes don't forget the red beans and rice.

Thumper
08-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Q/A ... that's 27 states AND Alberta, Canada! ;)

C/D ... we had a What-A-Burger open here and it closed down after only a couple of years. It's a good burger and I have no idea why it didn't make it.

Hombre ... DEFINITELY the red beans and rice! That goes without saying.

Hidey-Ho ... I'm pretty much with you on the liver thing. I can handle a GOOD batch of liver & onions, but I draw the line at most anything else liver related (except rumaki). Like you, DO NOT chop up that turkey liver and slip it in the giblet gravy! Give it to the cats instead ... IF they'll even touch the stuff! It ain't a 'giblet' ... it's frigging garbage! Now chicken hearts and gizzards? Fry those puppies up and I could live off 'em.

BTW ... if you're ever out California way and want fast food there ... nothing in the world beats In & Out Burger! I understand they're branching out into other states, so if you run across one, consider it a 'must have' item. We go to L.A. quite often and although we normally have our meals planned in advance (there are endless good restaurants in LA), we always leave an opening for In & Out.

Here's an interesting read: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-in-n-out-burger-wont-expand-east-2017-7

johnboy
08-03-2017, 02:24 PM
In and Out Burger for sure whenever we're in Laughlin. Plain, simple cheese burger and fries. Good!

Big Muddy
08-03-2017, 02:34 PM
I'm not much into burger chain food, however, we've got a couple of Backyard Burgers, which make some excellent burgers.....always fresh-made, and tasty.....and, their shakes and fresh peach cobbler is to die for.

And, btw, I absolutely love livers of any kind, and cooked any way.....but, my 1st favorite is fresh venison liver, smothered in onions and gravy, followed by a close 2nd of smoked chicken livers and jalapenos, wrapped in thick hickory bacon.

Thumper
08-03-2017, 02:56 PM
In and Out Burger for sure whenever we're in Laughlin. Plain, simple cheese burger and fries. Good!

Johnboy, next time you're at In & Out, keep in mind they'll make a custom burger for you if you want. I always ask for grilled onions. IF you like them (they're not on the menu). They really add to the burger ... AND there is no up-charge!

johnboy
08-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Good to know. Tx.

Thumper
08-03-2017, 03:13 PM
'Course, bein' Canuckian ... there may be a 'Tourist Tax'. ;)

johnboy
08-03-2017, 05:33 PM
It's called the $ difference.

Captain
08-03-2017, 09:26 PM
Fried chicken livers and fried chicken gizzards are wonderful.
But don't even think about giveing me liver out of any other animal.

Booger
08-04-2017, 11:34 AM
After Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans a news crew was talking to people in the community about how religion helped pull them through a time of Crisis. They asked one woman how did the loss of the churches in the area affect the community. Her response was oh we don't care nothing about that we gets our chicken from Popeye's

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Arty
08-04-2017, 03:02 PM
KFC livers with their gravy is hard to beat.
For chicken (only thighs and wings are acceptable to eat). Popeyes.

Chicken Dinner
08-04-2017, 03:06 PM
You know, I don't even think the Colonel has chicken livers in the menu up here in Occupied Virginia.

DeputyDog
08-04-2017, 04:52 PM
You know, I don't even think the Colonel has chicken livers in the menu up here in Occupied Virginia.

They don't here in Indiana either.

Arty
08-05-2017, 06:56 AM

Hit and miss in tidewater area as well