PDA

View Full Version : Tires

johnboy
08-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Had the factory Pirellis on the Mustang replaced the other day with Michelins and was thinking that all my vehicles eventually wind up with Michelin tires if I keep them long enough.

I've tried all the usual suspects (Goodyear, Firestone, Goodrich, Yokohama, Pirelli and whatever else) but always come back to Michelin for both cars and trucks. They just seem to be a 'better' tire in all ways. Is it just me?

BarryBobPosthole
08-08-2017, 02:04 PM
It probably depends on how you use them and on what. I am happy with the wear on my current tires on my truck but I'm looking forward to when I can buy news tires with just a tad more agressive tread. Looking back, my favorites have been BF Goodrich Radial TA's for passenger tires and Firestone ATs for my truck tires.
i had a set of Yokohamas on my old Celica and that were awesome too.
BKB

johnboy
08-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Yup, how you use them sure makes a difference. I put a set of Yokohama Geolander A/T's on my last truck and loved them. Quiet, beautiful ride etc. Then I hooked up the rv trailer and they were terrible to tow with. Sidewalls were too soft and just felt unstable when loaded even when aired up to max. Same tire but different application. Best truck tire for me has always been the Michelin LTX with an A/T tread.

Thumper
08-08-2017, 02:38 PM
I'm with you Johnboy. For many, many years, Michelin was the ONLY (street) tire I ever ran. (Goodrich Radial T/A's for anything I had that was 4WD) Even when I'd buy a new car/truck, if it didn't have Michelins already mounted, I'd make it a condition of sale. I'll have to admit, although I ran Michelins for as long as I can remember, the last couple of trucks, I just took whatever came on it from the dealer because I just don't put that many miles on a vehicle anymore. TBH, back in my high-mileage days, I don't ever remember wearing out a set of Michelins. We bought a new BMW in 1985 with Michelins and in California, we ran very high mileage. That car had over 100K on them when Lynn ran over a piece of metal on the freeway and cut the sidewall on one of them. Even though the tires still had PLENTY of tread, I put a whole new set on the car. We traded that car shortly after that on another new Bimmer. I have no clue how far the originals would have gone if it weren't for that cut tire.

Out of curiosity, I just did a new search and found this test by Consumer Reports from a couple years ago. http://6abc.com/automotive/consumer-reports-tests-tread-life-on-dozens-of-tires/1011942/

Here's an excerpt....

"Michelin was a standout. The three models we tested all met or exceeded their mileage warranty and came in with a projected tread life of 80,000 miles or more," said Rechtin.

The longest lasting tires in Consumer Reports' tests are the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus. They claim 90,000 miles, and Consumer Reports estimates they'll go 100,000.

BarryBobPosthole
08-08-2017, 02:45 PM
You just like them because they have your picture in thier logo.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
08-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Bam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
08-08-2017, 03:10 PM
I used to run nothing but Michelins, but can't justify the cost any more based on the amount of miles we drive. We've got 3 vehicles and probably only put 10-12k miles a year on all three combined. At that rate, I'll replace the vehicle long before the tires wear out. I think I put Coopers on the pickup last time around and they've been fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
08-08-2017, 04:03 PM
That's me C/D ... when I ran a ton of miles, I was a total tire snob and insisted on Michelin. These days, the factory tires still look new when I trade the vehicle .. so I just take what's on the car when I buy it. Heck, to be honest, I don't think I even LOOK at the brand of tire on a vehicle anymore when I buy a new one.

jb
08-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Not so with me, wife's 2012 Chevy Equinox came with Michelin's, she just had new brakes put on at 58,000 miles and the shop (friends of ours) said I should get new tires because the weather checking was so bad on the Michelin's.. Still lots of tread on them, but where the tread meets the sidewalls the weather checking is really bad. And this vehicle is garaged year a round.
Plan to stop buy a Michelin dealer in the next few days to see if anything can be done.
Problem is my new Explorer also has Michelins, will have to keep a close eye on them now.

Arty
08-08-2017, 05:45 PM
I'm of the crowd that says Michelin on anything truck related.
Goodyear on sedans.

Trav
08-08-2017, 08:38 PM
I have had Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 2010 that I rolled and I was pretty happy with them but on my 2015 and new 2017 I went with Toyo Open Country A/T's and have been really happy with them. I have about 35k miles on them and they look brand new. I will admit I am pretty religious about rotating them and that seems to make a big difference.

Thumper
08-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Oh, I forgot one thing ... BITE ME P-hole! ;)