PDA

View Full Version : Did You Know?

BarryBobPosthole
08-09-2017, 10:05 PM
Did you know that NFL officials are all part timers? I sure didn't.

BKB

NFL plans to hire up to 24 full-time game officials
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/09/news/companies/nfl-referees-full-time-hires/index.html

Captain
08-10-2017, 05:08 AM
See Obamacare has made it necessary for the NFL to hire part timers to keep from paying health care.
Told ya'

Chicken Dinner
08-10-2017, 06:56 AM
Yes, I did. This issue has been floating around for a couple years now. We'll see how it works out. MLB umps have been full time forever and some of them are completely out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
08-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Really? I think umps in baseball are better now than they ever have been with instant replay. If they ever replace calling the strike zone with a video replay I'm done.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
08-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Maybe it's just a few bad apples who think they're as important as the players. I'm thinking about the guys who do these ridiculous ejections or who choose to escalate a confrontation instead of diffuse it.

BarryBobPosthole
08-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Oh yeah, that's been going on in baseball for years. Remember Ken Kaiser? And there have always been terrible calls. Don Denkinger robbed the Cardinals of a frigging World Series championship.

I really haven't thought out what full time vs part time means for refs and umps. I just found it odd that NFL ones were part timers all this time.
And now that they've put NFL refs in costumes maybe they can have baseball style mascot races at halftime.

BKB

Arty
08-10-2017, 10:26 AM
I think I knew that already.
There's some other interesting changes this year.
All challenges going to NFL's central command is interesting.

BarryBobPosthole
08-10-2017, 10:39 AM
I hadn't heard of that change either. Ought to provide more consistency. Baseball started their replay that way so there were no conspiracy theories as to why they did it that way.

I used to work with a guy that was a part time college football ref. He'd done it for several years. Worked in the old CUSA back in the day so when he was in town for Tulsa U games he'd hand out tickets to folks in the office here. Good guy, but no less flaky than theother sales pukes I've known.

BKB