PDA

View Full Version : Who'da thunk it?

Thumper
08-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Since this place is as dead as Buckrub's pecker, I figured I'd bore youse dufes with a surprise estate sale find. I guess I'm getting a good eye and a feel for this type stuff. I was at a sale and spotted a pair of cookie sheets that, for some unknown reason, caught my eye. I normally have zero interest in this sort of thing, but "something" made me pick them up. The sale was out in the boonies and I had no cell service, so I was flying by the seat of my pants on this one. For some silly reason, I bought them for $1.00 each. Well, I brought them home, stuck them into my "why the 'F' did I buy this" pile and pretty much ignored them for a couple of weeks. I just pulled them out this morning to see if I bought a couple drip pans for somebody's garage, but was pleasantly surprised! I haven't taken pics yet, but I pulled a couple off eBay (mine are in better shape than either of these). Remember, I have TWO of them!

This one just sold for $61.00 ...

And this one is presently listed (and is being watched by a potential buyer) for $70.00 ...

Cool! I have absolutely no clue what made me pick these things up, but I'm glad I did. They probably would have ended up in the trash since NOBODY was paying a bit of attention to them. :thumbsup

BarryBobPosthole
08-10-2017, 09:09 AM
What is it about them that makes them collectible? The brand, the age, what?

I have a good brownie recipe you can ise.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
08-10-2017, 09:37 AM
That's kind of a cool design. Is it stamped? Of course, there's no way I'd pay $70 for a cookie sheet. Interestingly, I did see an article in the paper up here about how much pyrex dishes, bowls, casseroles, etcl were going for. Some were as high as $1,000 for matching sets. That's some crazy assed shit right there.

Chicken Dinner
08-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Stuff like this makes me wish I could go back in time to when we cleaned out my Grandmother's place...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192262563990

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
08-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Ha, and I wish my Mom hadn't thrown out my two full shoe boxes of those 1950's baseball cards, either.....I prolly would be on a sandy beach in the Caribbean, rather than talking to you dufes. ;)

Thumper
08-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Yep, I sell a ton of Pyrex and probably have 50-60 pieces at home right now. I hold them until I can build a set. I sold one set (4) little refrigerator bowls for $280. I had $5 invested. The biggest problem is condition. If people washed them in the dishwasher, they're junk.

Thumper
08-10-2017, 09:59 AM
I wish my dad hadn't sold his "53 Corvette! One day I asked him why he sold it and he said he had to buy a station wagon to haul all us kids around! :(

Thumper
08-10-2017, 11:57 AM
C/D, here are those Pyrex refrigerator dishes that I mentioned. The pic is deceiving as actually, these are pretty small. For example, the smaller ones are only about 5" long. This particular set is listed at $386 right now.

Thumper
08-10-2017, 12:08 PM
What is it about them that makes them collectible? The brand, the age, what? BKB

P-hole, I have no clue, I suppose they're just rare. I thought they looked kind of neat with that starburst pattern, so I picked 'em up. You know, Mike and Frank always say, "If you see something you've never seen before, you'd better buy it." Once I researched them, I found out they also made many other pieces like these, loaf pans, muffin pans, bundt cake pans, pie plates, etc. You can bet I'll be keeping an eye out for them from here on out.

C/D, yeah, they're just plain ol' stamped out pieces as far as I know. I'da never thought they were anything special and have no idea what made me buy them.

quercus alba
08-10-2017, 12:16 PM
I figure stupidity on the buyers part

Thumper
08-10-2017, 12:22 PM
I hope they STAY stupid ... it pays for my vacations. ;)