PDA

View Full Version : Not nearly as good as a Bigsky story.....

Big Muddy
01-12-2013, 11:33 AM
I love reading Sky's predator stories, but this really weird thing happened to me, yesterday afternoon:

Last week, after my son had seen two grown bobcats near one of my deer stands, I decided to try baiting them in for a shot....I tied a few pieces of old deer legs with wire, up high on an old fence, where only they could climb up, and reach them....I estimated the distance from the deer stand to be about 250-275 yards.

After three straight days of hunting from the deer stand, I never laid eyes on them....well, yesterday afternoon, right at dusk-dark, I see what looks like someone waving a white flag, right by the baited area....what the hell???, was my first thought....nobody is supposed to be anywhere near my property., and why are they waving that day'um flag???

I grabbed my binocs, and there's both bobcats....and, I mean both are BIG fat s.o.b.'s....one was walking around, while the other was actually dangling from one of the deer legs....he had jumped up, and grabbed the leg with his teeth, but couldn't grab anything with his legs for balance....I guess he just didn't want to turn it loose, so, he was swinging back and forth like a day'um pendulum.

What I thought to be someone, waving a white flag, was actually his snow-white under-belly, swinging back and forth....the problem was, he had grabbed the deer leg from the opposite side of the fence....it would be tough enough, trying to make the long shot in near darkness, but I would have to shoot thru the old fence and debris, as well....not to mention, I'd have to time the shot with his swinging motion.

I turned the scope up to 20x, but it had gotten too dark for that much magnification, so I back it down to 12x, and fired the Rem. 700 .30-06....the cat disappeared from view....heck, I guess I missed....no sheeit, 30 seconds later, the s.o.b. jumped right back up, grabbed the deer leg with his teeth, and started swinging his azz off, again....funny-looking, as all-git-out.

So, I shucked another round in the chamber, and fired my second shot....the cat disappeared from view, again....dejavu....30 seconds later, the little bastage, again, leaped up, and clasped his teeth onto the deer leg....he was really pissed, this time, because he was swinging back and forth with a vengence, with all four legs sticking straight out....looked like something from a day'um Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Again, I braced firmly, and took my third shot....again, the cat disappeared from my view, but, this time, he did not reappear....it had gotten nearly totally dark, so I'll take a look for him in the morning....I day'um sure wasn't gonna track a big-azz wounded cat thru head-high bushes, alone in the dark!!!

Day'umdest and funniest thing I've seen in the woods in a long time....I'll keep ya'll posted.

Big Skyz
01-12-2013, 12:14 PM
That was a great read, now I really want to know what you discovered this morning. One other question why are you shooting a bazooka sized caliber at those poor bobcats. That is one animal I'd want the hide from. Y'all don't have a 22 cal centerfire you could use?

BarryBobPosthole
01-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Just curious Eddie, but how do you have your 06 sighted in? The long shooters always say to sight in at a couple inches over at 100 and it'll make shots at that distance you were shooting easier. I always sighted my old 742 in 06 at just an inch over at 100 because its pretty rare I'd ever shoot anything at that distance. Having shot a gozillion rounds through it though I'd say my gun would be about 4 inches low at 275 using a 180 gr ballistic tip bullet.
Just wonderin'. If I lived where Big Sky does I'm sure I'd have to adjust my thinking. I did take a couple of caribou though with my 270 at that range and it was sighted at one over at 100, but it didn't seem to matter so much with the 270. I think it was prolly only a couple inches low at that distance. I think I was shooting 140's. The rest was all due to me and buck agar.

BKB

Big Muddy
01-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Just got back from the bait station....had to walk in there because it rained another 3 inches, overnight....anyway, I GOT HIM!!!....got phone pics, but can't download from it....I'll try to go back there, this afternoon, with my camera, if it's not pouring rain.

He fell from where he was hanging, and didn't take another step....bullet entered center mass of his chest, and exited from the top of his shoulder blades....wish I could say it was my great shooting, but considering the circumstances, all I can say is, "Sheeit-house lucky shot."

Sky, I had the .30-06 because I was deer hunting, as well as cat hunting....never know when a swamp donkey might amble my way. ;)

Phole, when I got this 6.5x-20x/50 mm. Aetec a few years ago, I sighted it in at 1" high at 100 yards, and have never touched it since....at the start of each deer season, I only have to fire one round thru it to confirm zero....it's still dead-on, after several years of rough handling....I know it's an inexpensive scope, but it hasn't failed me,----yet.

Think I'll freshen up the bait station, and try for that other cat, if this frigging rain will move outta here.

Big Skyz
01-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Congrats on getting him. Now take a second gun with you to the stand so you don't blow the other one to pieces.

Big Muddy
01-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Congrats on getting him. Now take a second gun with you to the stand so you don't blow the other one to pieces.

Yeah, right....day'um, Sky, I beez an old guy!!!....like I'm gonna haul two heavy rifles thru the woods---NOT!!!. ;)

I know you like to keep their hides, and I think Hidehunter eats the day'um things, but I could care less if that kitty has a washtub-sized bullet hole in his azz!!!....I'd rather skin and eat a rattlesnake or skunk, than mess with a nasty bobcat!!! ;)

HideHunter
01-12-2013, 06:20 PM
lol... good job eddie.

I can make a couple points though. As I understand it there are no caliber restructions in MS. The .22-250 is arguably the best whitetail caliber ever invented. I've shot a couple dozen down in MO and never once felt undergunned.

And bobcats (at least the ones I've eaten) don't have any smell at all compared to a house cat. I skinned one of those once (or started to). *They* are nasty..

Congrats on the cat. Kill them turkey-eatin' sonsabitches.:tickled_pink:

Big Muddy
01-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Hide, a .22-250 is about the only caliber gun that I don't own....otherwise, there's about 50 other calibers in my gun safe....if my wife even suspected that I bought another long gun, it might be MY azz, swinging from that old fence instead of that bobcat. ;););)

As far as the nasty bobcats down here, maybe it's a southern thing....every taxidermist that I know, charges about $500 bucks for a bobcat mount because they just don't like fooling with them.

Bwana
01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Neat story for sure but I'm with B.S., use something short of a cannon on the poor kitty and you might actually be able to sell the hide or get it tanned.