PDA

View Full Version : If you are what you eat...

Chicken Dinner
08-20-2017, 08:30 PM
I may turn into a tomato. Love this time of year and had them for lunch and dinner. Tomato sandwich and caprese salad that were fresh picked this morning.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170821/550323465211986aec4e78e4c1182f15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trav
08-20-2017, 08:47 PM
This is what I had for supper sans tomatoes 9276

Thumper
08-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Make a big ol' 'mater sammich for Cappy and see if he can be converted. Man, I loves me a 'mater sammich and those look like some dandies! What'cha gonna do with the scotch bonnets?

Captain
08-20-2017, 09:16 PM
I would starve to death before I ate one of those nasty things.

quercus alba
08-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Then I guess i'm fried okra, beef tips and rice, broccoli, carrots, Nathans hotdogs, apple crumble and a ham sandwich

Chicken Dinner
08-20-2017, 10:31 PM
Make a big ol' 'mater sammich for Cappy and see if he can be converted. Man, I loves me a 'mater sammich and those look like some dandies! What'cha gonna do with the scotch bonnets?

Depending on yield, I'll make hot sauce, habanero jelly and probably use some in Jamaican jerked chicken marinade. I've also got a Carolina Reaper and a Ghost pepper this year. They're not ripe yet, but I'm taking suggestions on what to do with those.

Thumper
08-20-2017, 10:37 PM
Man, I loves me some pepper jelly. Lynn makes a batch every once in a while. I "think" she makes it with apple jelly. (?)

I can put a pile that stuff away! I love it on a toasted English muffin.

Chicken Dinner
08-21-2017, 08:44 AM
I mostly use it either as a glaze for something like a pork roast or soften it up a bit and poor it over a block of cream cheese as a topper for crackers. Good stuff.

Big Muddy
08-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Just south of here, there's a huge produce market called "Donna's Produce #6".....named for the #6 child of the family.....I'll bet ole Thump knows exactly where it is on MS hiway 49 south, from his trucking days.....every time we pass thru there, we load up on all sorta pepper jellies, fruits, and veggies, and, of course, their boiled peanuts....from daylight to dark, every day of the week, they're boiling peanuts, non-stop, in their three 60 gal. kettles.....boiled peanuts are by far their biggest selling item, and there's usually a line of folks waiting for Jasper to start serving them up.

Btw, the homemade ice cream is to die for, as are the satsumas, when in season.

http://www.donnasproduce.com/

Thumper
08-21-2017, 09:44 AM
Ha ha! Yep, I know it well Mudward! Many times, I'd drop loads at the Nissan plant in Canton. Especially if I was headed home for a break, my dispatcher would often set me up with loads along 55 out of Memphis, and then over to 49, as she had regular stops in Florence, Mt. Olive, Hattiesburg, etc. Basically, I'd work my way down to 10 and head east for Florida. I'll guarandamntee ya', once I hit 49, if I passed Donna's during business hours, I'd stop for some homemade ice cream, then pick up a big ol' mess'o 'bowled' peanuts to take to the truck. SOMETIMES .... I'd even have some left-overs in my fridge by time I got home. ;)

Chicken Dinner
08-21-2017, 09:52 AM
Satsumas?

Thumper
08-21-2017, 10:02 AM
Similar (or possibly the same as) Clementines. Man-o-man, when the "Cuties" are in season, we buy a bag almost weekly!

(Originally from China - hence ... Mandarin) ;)

Chicken Dinner
08-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Gotcha, man we go through a lot of those here as well.

Big Muddy
08-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Satsumas have a long history.....one of my Cajun buddies worked on a sugar cane and rice farm in Houma, LA, which had a wild satsuma grove on it.....he still brings me some every year.....actually, the real satsumas come from the original fruit stock trees brought over by the Jesuits hundreds of years ago, and planted north of New Orleans......later on, Japanese brought more stock trees over, and planted them all along the gulf coast region from Florida to Texas.....that's about the only place in the U.S. that they can grow well.....the Cuties are good, too, but the satsumas are the cat's titty.....very rich and robust flavor. ;)

Satsuma juice on the left, compared to regular orange juice.