PDA

View Full Version : Double Damnit!

Thumper
08-21-2017, 11:53 AM
I "thought" I heard a string of firecrackers go off behind us last night about 10:30 or so. I thought it odd at the time, but didn't think a lot about it. I just looked out in the back yard a few minutes ago and I have a frigging oak tree on the ground right next to my pool! I guess the "firecrackers" I heard last night was actually wood popping as the trunk was splitting.

I just called my buddy and asked how his wood pile was looking and he said he really needs to restock as he's a bit low. BINGO! I told him I have some if he wants it ...... but he "may" need a chainsaw! (I won't even charge him for the firewood) :D

Chicken Dinner
08-21-2017, 12:03 PM
What do you need a wood pile for in Florida?

DeputyDog
08-21-2017, 12:15 PM
For when it gets below 65 degrees. You know, like the Arctic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
08-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Actually, that's pretty close to accurate. He's one of those goofy survivalist types and lives "off the grid". He lives in an old trailer way back in woods and could hole up there for months if the "big one" ever hits and he has to fight off zombies. He's never had air-conditioning ... in fact, any vehicle he's ever owned didn't have (working) a/c. If it gets down around the low 70's, his teeth start chattering. When he's in my truck with me, he dresses in layers, so he can remove a few items once we get out! He cooks with wood or propane and the only heat he has is a wood stove.

Chicken Dinner
08-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Gotcha. I sure hope he does his cooking outdoors in the summer down there.

Thumper
08-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Yep, he does both. When I was in beautiful S. E. Asia for 3+ years, I had no running water or electricity out in the village where I lived. When I returned home for the first time, my parents were living in Los Angeles. Now, mind you, this was the middle of August and I'll guarandambtee you, it gets hot in L. A. (But it's a dry heat) If I got anywhere near an air conditioner, my teeth would literally be chattering and I'd have thought I was gonna freeze to death! People thought I was nuts running around wearing a coat or jacket! But, it didn't take long for me to get acclimated and now I'd DIE without a/c! As far as I know, my buddy has never had a/c, so I can relate.

Sunshine
08-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Looks like it couldn't withstand an eclipse!! :)

Captain
08-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Damn good one Sunny!