PDA

View Full Version : My 2012 Buck Finished Up

Big Skyz
01-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Got my 2012 mule deer buck all cleaned up and mounted on a stand. My beetles did a great job of cleaning him up. I'm happy with how it all came together. Not everyone likes skull mounts but I think they are pretty cool. Thought some of the rest of you might enjoy seeing the final product.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/TroysBuck2012_zps7a292cd9.jpg

Big Muddy
01-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Great job, Sky....beautimous mount!!!

LJ3
01-12-2013, 05:47 PM
I love the look, very nicely done! If I ever kill another buck, I'd like to contract BS skull cleaning and prep company!

Bwana
01-14-2013, 10:20 AM
That turned out great!

I actually spent this weekend working on doing the same thing with the buck my dad shot this year but without the assistance of beetles. (Note: I'm thinking beetles would be the way to go.) Dad had done a good job of taking off the excess so things went pretty smoothly in the cleaning department and degreasing was a breeze so now all I have left if the whitening.

Big Skyz
01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Bwana after doing about 50 or so deer heads by boiling them I too decided beetles were a much better route. Now that I've used beetles for 4 or 5 years I KNOW they are the better route to go. They do a superb job and I don't have to deal with boiling skulls.

BarryBobPosthole
01-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Very pretty mount. I really like the pedestal you have him mounted on too. You make that?
BKB

Big Skyz
01-14-2013, 10:58 AM
BBP I had a local make that for me. We have a lot of beetle kill pine trees which results in what is called Blue Pine. I think the stuff is beautiful and that is what this pedestal is made of. Anyway, the local guy just cuts the pieces out for me and I do all the finish work and assembly.

BarryBobPosthole
01-14-2013, 11:06 AM
I have a Euro mount of my second caribou that I've never put on the wall. The problem is the horns are so tall, you have to have a really high ceiling wherever you hang it or it looks strange. I think a pedestal like that might finish it off really nicely.

BKB

Thumper
01-14-2013, 11:12 AM
I know what you mean P-hole. My buddy took a HUGE record class bull moose in Alaska. He has the head mounted on the wall (screwed directly into the wall studs) and the top of the antlers are just a couple inches below the ceiling. The head itself is mounted just inches from the floor! It looks more like a piece of furniture in the room.

hotshot
01-14-2013, 11:25 AM
does the animal proud. beauty of a mount.

Bwana
01-14-2013, 11:53 AM
BBP, you can order something similar from Van Dykes taxidermy place that is sized for your 'boy that might be just the thing to do the rack proud.