PDA

View Full Version : Scouts

BarryBobPosthole
08-25-2017, 08:33 AM
I'm taking my grandson to a Boy Scout introduction in September. He's six and is pretty excited about it. Its been twenty five or so years since I took my son to scouts. He stayed with it for a few years and we both had some good times.

What has changed in the world of scouting since then?

BKB

Big Muddy
08-25-2017, 11:17 AM
They, now, allow females, gays, gay leaders, transexuals, agnostics, atheists, Buddists, and 38 other religions.....nearly all of the big corporations and banks have withdrawn their financial support.....other than that, everything is pretty much the same as the old days.

Chicken Dinner
08-25-2017, 12:13 PM
Don't listen to BM. Boy Scouts is alive and well. Thriving even. I'd say the Cub Scout experience is very dependent on he quality of the Den Leader. They're parent volunteers and, if they have their shit organized, it goes well. (I say that as a former Asst. Den Leader. As a parent Cub Scouts is mostly herding cats. Boy Scouts was a lot more fun and Matt got to do some truly kick ass stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
08-25-2017, 01:07 PM
Re-read, Chick and chill out.....NO where in my post did I give a negative opinion.....I answered Tpost's question, and just mentioned the changes.....which are listed categorically on their website.

Btw, some, but not all big changes occurred during the previous potus administration.

Chicken Dinner
08-25-2017, 01:16 PM
The only part of your list that's a change is gays and it was long over due. It's also overwhelmingly supported by the kids themselves based on internal poll. I am also not aware of any loss in corporate support.

Arty
08-25-2017, 01:20 PM
Don't listen to BM. Boy Scouts is alive and well. Thriving even. I'd say the Cub Scout experience is very dependent on he quality of the Den Leader. They're parent volunteers and, if they have their shit organized, it goes well. (I say that as a former Asst. Den Leader. As a parent Cub Scouts is mostly herding cats. Boy Scouts was a lot more fun and Matt got to do some truly kick ass stuff.

You are 100% right about the den leader. My youngest was in it about a year and a half. The guy sucked, and didn't want any help. We finally had all we could stand.
At the time, where we were living, it was the only Den within an hour or so.

Big Muddy
08-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Chick, perhaps you misunderstood my meaning......the corporations withdrew their support until BSA changed their stance of disallowing those individuals, NOT because they opposed those individuals.

Gay leaders have been around long before all this sheeit started.....I was a Scout and got a drawer full of merit badges.....I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the 6th National Jamboree in 1964 at Valley Forge.....our leader, who was from another council, was openly gay, and a really nice guy.....however, none of us wanted to share a tent with him. ;)

Btw, my Dad was also an Eagle Scout, and was suppose to attend the very first Nat'l Jamboree in 1935 at Wash. D.C......however, it was cancelled because of the polio epidemic.....it was re-scheduled for 1937, and he did get to attend that one.

BarryBobPosthole
08-26-2017, 06:59 AM
I think we'll go to the meet and greet deal and see for ourselves how the local pack does things and make up our minds then. Neither his Dad nor I are the 'drop 'em off and forget about 'em' types when it comes to kid activities. So we'll see.

Thanks for the info!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
08-26-2017, 08:19 AM
Gotcha, BM. I was mostly trying to get a good old fashioned "arguscussion" going. Maybe snap us out of our Summer doldrums.

Chicken Dinner
08-26-2017, 08:21 AM
I think we'll go to the meet and greet deal and see for ourselves how the local pack does things and make up our minds then. Neither his Dad nor I are the 'drop 'em off and forget about 'em' types when it comes to kid activities. So we'll see.

Thanks for the info!

BKB

Good on both of you guys. There's always a need for volunteers. Most of the activities at the Cub level up until WEBLOS (4th/5th grade) require each Scout to have an adult with them. Den and Pack meetings might be the exception.