PDA

View Full Version : Houston flooding.....

Big Muddy
08-28-2017, 10:00 AM
The volunteer Cajun Navy already left for Houston to aid in rescues, as well as all surrounding states are helping out, too......those folks are hurting down there, right now.....if you have a couple of extra bucks, make a donation to the Salvation Army or Samaritan's Purse.....if not, then just remember those folks in your prayers.

This is one of the saddest pictures I've seen from down there.....nursing home residents, sitting in flood water.....they've since been rescued.:

BarryBobPosthole
08-28-2017, 10:03 AM
New Orleans might be the next place that floods from this storm. And it ain't done with Texas yet. I heard this morning they had to open some dams to save them.

BKB

Big Muddy
08-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Yep, this is a heckuva relentless storm.....we're even suppose to catch the azz-end of it, later this weekend.....2-4 inches here for us.

BarryBobPosthole
08-28-2017, 10:34 AM
I have an old schoolmate from the third grade on that lives in the Houston area. I've been checking on him now and again. Interesting that he used the same word to describe it as you did: relentless.
He and his family and property are good so far. It is starting to look iffy.
I worked down in the Woodlands area of Houston many times and it floods there at the drop of a hat. I can only imagine what it looks like now.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
08-28-2017, 11:22 AM
And as a reminder of the truth of the old adage "There but for the grace of God, go I", the entire Texas congressional delegation were pretty much buttholes and voted against the federal budget appropriations for Hurricane Sandy.

Luckily, even though it took months, it eventually passed.

Lots of folks don't think its the feds job to provide aid to states in these things. I ain't one of them.

BKb

Thumper
08-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Yep, I have two sisters and a ton of inlaws, nieces, nephews, etc. in Houston. As of yesterday afternoon, they were still above water, but couldn't get out of their houses. Same with one nephew who lives in Austin. My BIL said the whole neighborhood (all $1,000,000 homes) are on their own private islands now. He's pretty much set up for possible power loss and will switch over to generator if needed. What a mess.

HideHunter
08-29-2017, 09:11 AM
First - I agree with you Ed.. I had to take a couple deep breaths when I saw those nursing home pics. Just discussing this with my wife.. our area went through this in 2008 and to a lesser degree in 1993. I was lucky - both times - my place was an "island"; couldn't get to it except by boat - but we didn't get wet.. Just a half mile either direction I had neighbors with water in their houses.

The difference is - the population of the area flooded was probably 5000 to 7500, mostly rural, with only one small town affected. It took two years to get it cleaned up, houses torn down and some restored. I simply cannot imagine what it will be like in a huge population center.

I know Red Cross isn't considered one of the most "efficient" charities - but having been on the front lines in two major floods - I have a ton of respect for them - at least on a "local" level.

Big Muddy
08-30-2017, 10:25 AM
I'm not a weather guru, but I have always kept a close eye on the weather and it's patterns.....I don't believe I have ever seen a weather system sit in one place like the one in Texas.....I mean, that thing has barely moved in almost a week, and the rainfall has now topped over 50 inches in some places.....and, it happened immediately after the solar eclipse.....hmmmm.

BarryBobPosthole
08-30-2017, 11:10 AM
Hmmmmm....that is interesting.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
08-30-2017, 02:00 PM
I did see a follow up on the news last night that the poor old dear's in that picture were all okay and doing well. They looked to be in a very nice facility from what I can tell.

BarryBobPosthole
08-30-2017, 02:08 PM
I just read where good old Sandra Bullock donated a cool million bucks to the Red Cross for Harvey recovery. That's some serious money.
BKB

Trav
08-30-2017, 07:17 PM
I know Barry doesn't think much of them but Verizon donated 10 million and sent a bunch of semi's with mobile cell towers down there. We are also giving a bunch of stuff to cell customers impacted like free data extended or waived monthly payment terms.

BarryBobPosthole
08-30-2017, 07:33 PM
I've not poormouthed Verizon. They treated me very very well. I don't care much for their treatment of customers but that doesn't mean much.

BKB

airbud7
08-30-2017, 07:39 PM
I know Barry doesn't think much of them but Verizon donated 10 million and sent a bunch of semi's with mobile cell towers down there. We are also giving a bunch of stuff to cell customers impacted like free data extended or waived monthly payment terms.

Wow Trav.....If there's ever a time/need for a phone its now!....Good stuff right there^

airbud7
08-30-2017, 07:42 PM
I've not poormouthed Verizon. They treated me very very well. I don't care much for their treatment of customers but that doesn't mean much.

BKB

Same here Berry. Walmart has the best return/ I don't like this product take it back policy I've ever seen.

BarryBobPosthole
08-30-2017, 07:51 PM
There isn't a nickel's worth of difference in any of the wireless carriers or in the business side of things that I was in these says. Its almost all about price. in telecom, as well as a hell of a lot of other businesses, service simply sucks.
The cable market, and I'm including streamers who are in cahoots with cable, is horrible from a service standpoint.
Some companies stand out. Fitbit has the best customer service on the planet. Cabelas is awesome, Amazon is terrific. But there ain't many others.

End of rant.

BKB

Big Muddy
08-30-2017, 11:26 PM
Don't forget Lowe's......they'll let you return just about anything.....I got a b-i-l who test-drove their lawnmowers for nearly the first half of the summer.....everytime I drove by his place, he was mowing his yard with a different new riding mower.....he tried 'em all---Troy-Bilt, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, John Deere, etc.....he'd put it on his credit card, then they'd credit his card, when he returned it.....they finally told him he had to pick one.....so, he went down the street, and bought a cheap used Craftsman at the pawn shop....that boy ain't right. ;)

airbud7
08-31-2017, 05:23 AM
hahahahaha^

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2017, 07:31 AM
Don't forget Lowe's......they'll let you return just about anything.....I got a b-i-l who test-drove their lawnmowers for nearly the first half of the summer.....everytime I drove by his place, he was mowing his yard with a different new riding mower.....he tried 'em all---Troy-Bilt, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, John Deere, etc.....he'd put it on his credit card, then they'd credit his card, when he returned it.....they finally told him he had to pick one.....so, he went down the street, and bought a cheap used Craftsman at the pawn shop....that boy ain't right. ;)

Sounds lke a really nice guy.

BKB

Thumper
08-31-2017, 08:54 AM
I don't know if the return policies have changed over the years, but my nephew worked at Best Buy (or maybe Circuit City?) years ago. He said they'd practically run out of premium big screen tv's during the week of the super bowl, then the following week, the returns would come in by the boatloads. They'd buy 'em for their Super Bowl parties, then return 'em.

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2017, 09:04 AM
When you have to deal with the public, you realize exactly why people have zero respect for others. Its should be no surprise to anyone why we have a generation of sociopaths.

BKB

Big Muddy
08-31-2017, 09:12 AM
Ha, that happens with the big screen tv's about every weekend, down here.....same thing with nice dress clothes and shoes at Walmart.....during graduation time and other special occasions, there'll be a line of women democrats at the customer service desk, the following day, returning all the clothes and shoes they wore to the event. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2017, 09:26 AM
So its gonna be 93 in Houston. How many politicians and media types who have no intention of getting their tasseled shoes damp will show up in a sporty wind breaker with an open collar underneath?
Its like there is a catalogue somewhere that supplies disaster wear.

Jesus what a bunch of fake fuckers.

One exception is this retired General Honore'. I love that old bastard. He's out working every day all day in this.

BKB

Thumper
08-31-2017, 09:37 AM
So its gonna be 93 in Houston. How many politicians and media types who have no intention of getting their tasseled shoes damp will show up in a sporty wind breaker with an open collar underneath?
Its like there is a catalogue somewhere that supplies disaster wear. Jesus what a bunch of fake fuckers. BKB

Well, I don't know P-hole ... would YOU show up to a flood zone .... and talk to people who've just lost their homes and everything but the clothes on their back .... wearing a Kiton K-50 and a pair of Louis Vuittons? Do you go duck hunting in your work clothes? (back WHEN you worked) ;)

HideHunter
08-31-2017, 09:40 AM

lol.. we had a guy that pulled it off on a much larger scale. He "tried out" a combine just long enough to get the crop out - then had them come and get it.. Pretty good, huh?.. Now get this he pulled it off two years in a row. Some people have balls of iron. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2017, 09:41 AM
Most of these folks don't go near anyplace where they will need that type of stuff.
And yes, their work clothes are theor uniform. I wanna see them dressed to do what they do best: and that is lie like a dog.
You oughta have to wear a sharkskin suit to lie like a dog.

BKB

Thumper
08-31-2017, 09:42 AM
Its like there is a catalogue somewhere that supplies disaster wear. Jesus what a bunch of fake fuckers. BKB

Heck, your favorite, CNN, has been riding Melania non-stop for wearing high heels WHEN BOARDING AIR FORCE ONE to go to the area. Once there, she donned a pair of sneakers. Was she phony? Or practical?

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2017, 09:47 AM
I've been watching cnn pretty much non stop during thos disaster and I don't think I've heard one story on CNN about Melania's fucking pumps.
In fact I first read about it on Foxnews.

BKb

Thumper
08-31-2017, 09:58 AM
Ha ha ha! I just wanted to get a rise out'ta you. I can only take CNN for about 5 minutes at a time because I'm constantly wanting to throw my shoe through the tv screen! The press jumped all over that b/s. It doesn't matter what either of the Trumps do, the haters are gonna hate.

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2017, 10:17 AM
Those were some of what we used to call CMFM pumps back in the day.
BKB

LJ3
08-31-2017, 10:18 AM
When you have to deal with the public, you realize exactly why people have zero respect for others. Its should be no surprise to anyone why we have a generation of sociopaths.

BKB

What in the name of sweet baby Buddha are you talking about?

Big Muddy
08-31-2017, 11:26 AM
The remnants of Harvey's eye wall are passing directly over me, right now.....light rainfall and eerie east winds.....I can actually smell that fishy sea water in the air, circulating from the gulf coast, which is nearly 300 miles from here.

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2017, 12:04 PM
What in the name of sweet baby Buddha are you talking about?

I'm talking about people that think its okay to take stuff under the premise of buying it and using it and then returning it. They think its okay just because its a store and don't think of it as people. They're sociopaths in other words.

BKB

LJ3
08-31-2017, 12:34 PM
Is a Sociopath the same thing as a dick? Because doing that with my book just makes you a dick. Usually an ignorant dick.

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2017, 12:39 PM
Yes, being a dick to others is kind of like being a sociopath. Like people who make the wait staff cry at a cafe just because they can.

Or just like Best Buy selling cases of water in the Houston area for $50 bucks. They stopped doing it, they apologized for it, but that don't mean that somebody in that company is
n't a dick. And yes, a sociopath.

BKB

Big Muddy
08-31-2017, 02:16 PM
Is being a dick closely related to being a dick-head???.....or, maybe just dick-less???.....oh wait, I know, let's ask Thump, the knower of all things dick-related. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2017, 02:25 PM
Even his state is dick shaped.

BKB

Thumper
08-31-2017, 02:28 PM
I don't know much about dicks, other than my own massive appendage ... but I do know a woman LEO could be considered a Dickless Tracy. ;)