PDA

View Full Version : Hey BM

Chicken Dinner
08-30-2017, 07:36 AM
Are you seeing this where you are? I'm always a bit skeptical of things I read in the paper and am curious if this is as big deal as they say.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/this-miracle-weed-killer-was-supposed-to-save-farms-instead-its-devastating-them/2017/08/29/33a21a56-88e3-11e7-961d-2f373b3977ee_story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
08-30-2017, 09:59 AM
Chick, any response I could make here, to that article is WAY above my pay grade.....however, I will say that I have walked thousands of acres of crops this past summer, and met with lots of farmers.....I observed many successful applications without a single problem in my area......I attribute that success to our own Mississippi State University.....they realized that this was new technology, which required new training.....they helped develop an extensive training program to educate our farmers down here on application usage before the crop season even began.....so, in answer to your question, """Are you seeing this where you are?""", no, not at all.

Arty
08-30-2017, 10:04 AM
My knowledge of this subject is basically limited to knowing how to mix roundup and spray it out of my 2 gallon pump sprayer... but I'd say from reading that article that it has a lot to do with application of the product, not the product itself. Wouldn't you agree?

Big Muddy
08-30-2017, 10:06 AM
Arty, you nailed it !!!!!

Chicken Dinner
08-30-2017, 01:59 PM
So, what you're saying is you can't trust a dang Arkie to follow directions?

johnboy
08-30-2017, 02:44 PM
I also wouldn't trust Monsanto to tell the truth about any of their products. All about the money.

BarryBobPosthole
08-30-2017, 03:03 PM
So educate me, is 'revaporization' just another fancy term for corn sweat, only this time on beans?

BKB

Big Muddy
08-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Again, way over my pay grade.....I'd rather not try to explain any of this technology on a public hunting forum.....however, I feel that most of you guys are more than intelligent enough to grasp the technology.....I know, first-hand, that it works, but the instructions on the label have to be followed, so as to not cause any problems.

Here's a couple of websites, if you desire to learn more:

http://www.roundupreadyxtend.com/About/Chemistry/Pages/default.aspx?&gclid=CjwKCAjwxJnNBRAMEiwA8X_-QTahOl6pRZVYCsusBCHmJj4w5-HTr2xSbTyb0YRqC1DOuW0HQrYo6hoCt7gQAvD_BwE

http://agproducts.basf.us/campaigns/engenia/?utm_campaign=GS-BASF-CRP-PS-NAT-BRAND-ENGENIA&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_term=%2Bbasf%20%2Bengenia&gclid=CjwKCAjwxJnNBRAMEiwA8X_-QZX3Tc4pmClCuy3l8Lu3cthpAEWeZcCbo7GweJU5c9Hm73b2ia M8WxoCZ8kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Big Muddy
08-30-2017, 05:07 PM
>>>Johnboy said, """I also wouldn't trust Monsanto to tell the truth about any of their products. All about the money."""

The new dicamba technology is about the only weapon out there in the farmer's arsenal to combat pig weed.....glyphosate(Roundup) will no longer even turn a pig weed leaf brown, let alone kill it, as they have developed resistance to it.....pig weed are one of the hardiest, thriving, hard-to-kill weed pest out there, today.....they grow very tall, and will take over a farmer's entire crop, if left untreated.....so, since we all like to eat what farmers produce, maybe a little thanks are in order to the companies who develop this type of new technology, as well.

>>>Chick said, """So, what you're saying is you can't trust a dang Arkie to follow directions?"""

Ha, I can definitely respond to that question and give my opinion.....but, I won't, since Arkie's aren't in the boat alone. ;););)

johnboy
08-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Not going to get in an argument here but perhaps overuse of herbicides is similar to overuse of antibiotics. Whatever you are trying to kill becomes resistant to your best weapons so you must develop ever more toxic chemicals to combat the problem you created in the first place.

We are stewing in a soup of man made chemical compounds with NO idea what the long term effects will be.

Big Muddy
08-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Maybe not, but I know what the short-term effect will be.....a planet of ever-increasing population of starving people.

Sorry, but 'nuf said....that's my last post on the issue.

airbud7
08-30-2017, 06:36 PM
Not going to get in an argument here but perhaps overuse of herbicides is similar to overuse of antibiotics. Whatever you are trying to kill becomes resistant to your best weapons so you must develop ever more toxic chemicals to combat the problem you created in the first place.

We are stewing in a soup of man made chemical compounds with NO idea what the long term effects will be.

johnboy typed that for me^...does penicillin even work anymore?....:D

I would take Big Muddys advice too....

DeputyDog
08-30-2017, 07:35 PM
johnboy typed that for me^...does penicillin even work anymore?....:D....

Not for Thumper. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
08-30-2017, 07:46 PM
It won't touch that Albanian Clap.

BKB

Thumper
08-30-2017, 08:13 PM
Hey!!! I'm just sitting here minding my own business, and youse dufes just HAVE to pick on me for no reason. :(

airbud7
08-30-2017, 09:31 PM
I wonder if Thumper knows the best way to get rid of the crabs?/Quick?...I'm itching to know.....:D

Thumper
08-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Easy! Shave half your pubes and set the remaining pubes on fire. When the crabs come running out, stab 'em with an ice pick. End of problem. You're welcome.

Arty
08-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Easy! Shave half your pubes and set the remaining pubes on fire. When the crabs come running out, stab 'em with an ice pick. End of problem. You're welcome.

Make sure you have new litmus pencil on standby when trying this.

Thumper
08-30-2017, 11:52 PM
Make sure you have new litmus pencil on standby when trying this.

Or a styptic pencil even. :-)

airbud7
08-31-2017, 05:26 AM

Well Thanks A Lot Thump!......Now My Balls are Black!....Grrrrrrrr!

No more Crabs though....:D

Arty
08-31-2017, 06:57 AM
Or a styptic pencil even. :-)
Where the hell did I come up with litmus!?

Thumper
08-31-2017, 07:00 AM
I'd suspect spellcheck. When I wrote that response, spellcheck changed styptic to something that was not even remotely close. :)

HideHunter
08-31-2017, 09:28 AM
Happened to run into bil yesterday so I asked him to give me "Cliffs Notes".. He agreed with Arty.. Pigweed is getting out of control, but too many people think "if a little is good..". He did say it has a tendency to "walk" (volatize - and move) like the old Banvel. He's using some.. He said they sprayed a couple of small fields 5 times and two of those were "wipes". Said at the end of a normal year sprayer will show around 8000 acres - this year its over 12. This "new" pigweed is nasty stuff. He did say he is considering going to "dicamba ready" seed next year. Even if he doesn't use it himself - it will protect him from "drift" problems. You now know all I know - except - to your question.. Like Muddy, the "problems" to the extent - in the article haven't shown up here, either.

Thumper
08-31-2017, 09:47 AM
Ya' learn a lot on this site. Heck, before this thread, I never had a clue pot smoking cops were such a major problem! ;)

Chicken Dinner
08-31-2017, 11:56 AM

Confusius says...

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2017, 12:01 PM
lol truer words never spoken.