PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted

Bwana
09-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Trip/Travel Insurance, yes or no?

After 25 years of marriage finally caved in to the Missus' desire to go somewhere warm and sandy next March. Given that our parents are no longer spring chickens and other health issues with my son I'm just wondering if purchasing such insurance might not be such a bad idea given we have already purchased the plane tickets and put money down on a place to stay.

Thoughts?

johnboy
09-05-2017, 05:40 PM
We buy travel medical insurance whenever we leave the country. Medical emergencies abroad can cost mega bucks!

Big Muddy
09-05-2017, 06:07 PM
Yes, travel/trip/medical ins. is dirt cheap.....we purchase it, no matter where we're traveling to.....better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

BarryBobPosthole
09-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Same here. Its cheap. Buy the insurance.

BKB

Thumper
09-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Yeppers ... I never leave home without it. I've personally witnessed too many nightmares to go anywhere without it.

My sister and BIL missed a cruise last year that would have cost them mega-bucks. A few days before they were to leave for New York (from Houston), my sister tripped on the steps in front of my nephew's house and took a tumble. She SHATTERED her hip. I believe they were flying to Europe to catch a European cruise. They do NOT travel cheap and their cabin normally runs half way across the stern of the ship and quite a ways up the side (literally). They had to cancel at the last minute and they would have lost a small fortune without the insurance. (they were reimbursed in full) Don't even think about getting sick on a cruise and having to have a helicopter medivac you to some foreign country to be hospitalized! And that's just the start of it ... you still have to get home once you're able to leave the hospital. To make matters worse, in many countries, you have to pay in advance to be treated, so you ain't gonna "dine & dash"! :hair

Trav
09-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Does it cover all the STD's you bring back from Thailand Thumper or what you leave those poor folks.

Thumper
09-05-2017, 08:35 PM
I've built up an immunity through the years. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Hopefully Bwana isn't visiting Albania.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
09-05-2017, 09:02 PM
Like AAA, I consider it wife insurance. Basically, I don't think it's worth it. But, I don't want to have to risk having to listen to my wife for the rest of my life if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
09-05-2017, 09:46 PM
^^^^^Good idea^^^^^ ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-05-2017, 10:32 PM
Chicken.

BKB

DeputyDog
09-05-2017, 10:55 PM
We usually get it too. I've never used it but the last time we went to Disney it was supposed to be with my wife's parents and her brother's family. My M-I-L fell and broke her hip and was just at the end of the recuperation time when the trip was scheduled. They cancelled and got all of their money back, plane tickets included.

Arty
09-06-2017, 07:43 AM
First time I bought insurance was our trip to key west this year. Had never purchased it before.
Cost me I think $68 or something like that

Flight was cancelled which resulted in another night in hotel, food, additional transportation costs, etc.

I kept all receipts and within 3 weeks I had a check for $568 in the mailbox.
Good return on what I thought was $68 down the drain.

Chicken Dinner
09-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Chicken.

BKB

That's right, you've never met my wife. Pluck, pluck..

Thumper
09-06-2017, 10:05 AM
That's right, you've never met my wife. Pluck, pluck..

Ha ha! Shouldn't that be "Cluck, Cluck"? Or is "Pluck" what she'll do to you if you f-up? ;)

Chicken Dinner
09-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Both.

Bwana
09-07-2017, 12:14 PM
OK, follow-up question: What company do you use?

FYI - before yesterday the plan was to go to the US Virgin Islands, post-Irma I'm not sure what is left there. (Not sure if this matters for purposes of deciding or not. Again, new territory for me)