PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Thump and Cap, just curious.......

Big Muddy
09-07-2017, 12:46 PM
I'm sure both of you have HO ins. down there in Fla., but do you have flood ins., too ???......if so, how much does it cost, down there in Fla.???.....I always carried flood ins. on our cabin at Lake Whittington because it was located in between the wet side of the MS River levees.....the great flood of 2011 wiped us out, and the ins. was very helpful in getting us relocated to the dry side of the levees at Lake Chicot....the best I remember, the premium was around $650 per year.

Captain
09-07-2017, 01:00 PM
We have both homeowners and flood insurance.
I'd have to ask the secretary of finance and war wha the cost is.
I'm almost 60 years old and never written a check so I have no clue.

Thumper
09-07-2017, 01:15 PM
I had another house a while back which had a creek running through the property and it was within a 100-year flood plain. I was REQUIRED to have flood insurance in order to get financing. I have no flood insurance on this house (been here 28+ years). To my knowledge, this area has never flooded. We're on a lake (not lakeside), but it's depth is controlled and it is part of a chain of lakes that are connected. We're on the higher side of the chain. I've never had standing water, but I HAVE had the drain field saturated a couple of times. (that sucks big weenies).

airbud7
09-07-2017, 11:09 PM
I've never had standing water, but I HAVE had the drain field saturated a couple of times. (that sucks big weenies).

Because of weather or you eating burritos?

Hombre
09-07-2017, 11:24 PM
Unfamiliar but is there floor and hurricane insurance? Do they differentiate?

Thumper
09-07-2017, 11:43 PM

I'd assume the standard homeowner's insurance would cover the floors. :)

Seriously, flood insurance is usually a separate thing and not a part of most homeowner's policies. When I had it, I believe it was through the National Flood Insurance Program. BUT ... if your roof blows off and the rain floods your house, your homeowner's policy generally covers it.

As for hurricanes ... I believe most policies cover that under the "wind damage" portion of the policy. I suppose what it boils down to is, many policies are different and you need to know what's covered and what's not. Insurance companies can be sneaky mf'ers and wording is important.

I had a customer years ago in Memphis who was away on vacation when we had a series of torrential rain storms. There was some sort of drainage behind her house (ditch? creek? Can't remember) While they were away, her house flooded. She had flood insurance and filed a claim with her insurance company. They denied the claim! They said the water was not due to a flood ... it was due to "rising water"!! I kid you not! She filed a lawsuit against the insurance company, but I moved to Los Angeles before finding out what happened with the suit. I think a lot of it also depends on where you live. Beachfront property would be a bit different than property in the middle of the state for example.

Captain
09-08-2017, 06:18 AM
Because of weather or you eating burritos?

Very good point AirBud!

Arty
09-08-2017, 07:32 AM

Don't know about the flood part, but here in Virginia Beach, my homeowners policy has a $1,000 deductible for any claim. But there is an exclusion that the deductible goes to 2% of the total loss, if the loss is related to any named hurricane.

Thumper
09-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Very good point AirBud!

And bof'a youse can bite me!