PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron Question

BarryBobPosthole
09-09-2017, 10:43 AM
A couple of years ago, I 'cut on' the gas under one of my favorite cast iron skillets and went off and forgot about it for just a minute, at least until I heard a crack. Put a crack in it that runs from the lip down the side and about halfway to the middle. Its a good thick Lodge 10" skillet so it breaks my heart to throw it away. I've made cornbread and biscuits and fried an occasional egg in it, but when the pan gets hot it opens the crack up and any kind of oil will seep out of the pan.

I'm wondering if I could put some jb weld in that crack to seal it up? Will I poison myself? I've had pans before with slight cracks that essentally 'healed' with use, you could see them but they didn't leak. Man thos is a great well seasoned old pan.

BKB

Big Muddy
09-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Sea Foam !!!.....oh wait, it'll poison you, and you'll die !!! ;)

Seriously, I've screwed the pooch on pots and pans, too.....if it leaks, you're screwed, just buy another one, and get started making memories with the new one.....my wife takes the old ones, and plants ferns and flowers in them, and hangs them on the porch.

Captain
09-09-2017, 11:40 AM
went off and forgot about it for just a minute, BKB

Im surprised you didn't have me looking for it.....

Arty
09-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Im surprised you didn't have me looking for it.....

BAM!!!

Chicken Dinner
09-09-2017, 01:19 PM
I've gotta go with BM on this one. You've gotta know when to fish or cut bait. I'd toss and send Thump some cash for a used Griswold or Wagner if you really like old iron.

If you're adamant, try taking it to a welder and get it done right. It might work if all you want to use it for is biscuits and cornbread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
09-09-2017, 01:21 PM
I won't pay to have it welded.

I'll try some JBWeld on it and if that don't work I'll use it for a corn bread pan.

BKb

Thumper
09-09-2017, 03:23 PM
Write it off as a loss. Forget the JB Weld. Stay away from the modern Lodge crap (heck, you can get Lodge ci at Wally World if you want). The OLD Lodge ci was machined smooth and was some quality stuff. The new junk is rough and "pebbly" looking. Don't try to fry an egg on that stuff. Since my last big "sell-off", I've probably accumulated another 50 pieces of vintage ci. Everything from "no-name" to Gris. Pull up your big-boy pants and place an order. [emoji6]

Oh, and for your cracked iron, gift it to a buddy with a cabin to use as a wall-hanger.

BarryBobPosthole
09-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Well, if a fella ran across a #9 and/or #10 Gris large logo skillet with a heat ring, I know another fella that'd buy it for a fair price. I have the #8 and its my favorite pan when I'm using it.

BKB

Captain
09-09-2017, 03:56 PM
All of them Thumper is gonna find for now own will have water damage.

Thumper
09-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Once things settle down a bit, I'll check my inventory.

Oh, and Cappy, you can bite me! [emoji6]

Thumper
09-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Well, if a fella ran across a #9 and/or #10 Gris large logo skillet with a heat ring, I know another fella that'd buy it for a fair price. I have the #8 and its my favorite pan when I'm using it. BKB

Well, this "fella" you know is not only picky, but he has pretty extravagant tastes when it comes to vintage CI. ;)

As you know, I've sold off most of my primo pieces and even liquidated a few non-restored pieces here a while back. The larger skillets are the first to go. I did do a count last evening and I guess my estimate of 50 is actually 32 left-over pieces that I haven't listed yet. I got tired of the restoration game and just sell in "as found" condition these days. BUT ... I don't have what you're looking for anyway.

FWIW, I DO have a BEAUTIFUL No. 9 Gris here that is pristine. Other than a few (normal) minor utensil scratches, it's as close to "like new" as you can get. The problem is, you want a large logo w/heat ring and this one is a smooth-bottom/small logo Gris. This thing is one of the nicest, pieces I've had in a long time and I'm assuming it's either had a VERY easy life, or it's been restored recently. They generally sell for $50-$100 depending on condition, and this one is at the top of the condition scale. A comparable skillet (with a super shitty seasoning job) sold 5-days ago for $92.10. Comparable sales last month were $99.44, $93.29, $99.81, $111.11 (no clue) and $92.95.

This particular skillet is the only No. 9 I have left. The only No. 10 I have left is a Wagner Ware (Sidney -O-). It's in nice, un-restored condition, but it's a "spinner". It won't be any fun on a glass-top range, but gas, elec. coil or grill/campfire would not be much of a problem. All my other left-over skillets are No. 8 or smaller, plus a few dutch ovens, etc. Mostly Griswold and Wagner Ware.

I'll keep an eye out for a nice No. 9 or 10, large logo Gris w/heat ring and give you a shout so you can tell your buddy about it. :D

Captain
09-10-2017, 01:24 PM
He said all that to say: if he finds what you want it's gonna cost hell out of ya!
Thumper charge him 4 dollars extra for me and send it my way...
I'll give you a dollar collection fee.

Thumper
09-10-2017, 01:29 PM
He said all that to say: if he finds what you want it's gonna cost hell out of ya!
Thumper charge him 4 dollars extra for me and send it my way...
I'll give you a dollar collection fee.

Does that include the $0.47 postage? ;)

Captain
09-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Does that include the $0.47 postage? ;)

We can transfer it over PayPal.

BarryBobPosthole
09-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Just deduct Captains four bucks frm the price He's good for it.

Here's my old Gris and you can tell it isn't in great shape. Bassdog gave me this particular piece. I don't have to have a collectors piece, just one that matches and will nest with what I have.
these pans are as non stick as teflon.

BkB

Thumper
09-10-2017, 02:32 PM
It's hard to tell from the photo, but there's a good possibility that could clean up to look like new.

BarryBobPosthole
09-10-2017, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure how to get that acne looking stuff off the bottom without damaging the pan.

BKB

Thumper
09-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Electrolysis.

Note: This site and the video are two different sites.

http://www.castironcollector.com/electrolysis.php

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0XlsNucmbiE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chicken Dinner
09-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Or, a bunch of oven cleaner in a plastic trash bag out in the summer heat for a week or so. (Along with some elbow grease, of course.). Repeat as necessary.

Thumper
09-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Yep, Easy-Off works also, but it's a nasty hassle and generally takes a few applications and a lot of scrubbing. Oh yeah, and wear rubber gloves with a good respirator! That stuff will knock you on your ass.

HideHunter
09-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Be thankful it's just a Lodge.. ;) I'll bet JB will hold.. the stuff is incredible. That said - I'd pitch it.

As far as reconditioning cast.. can't beat the "cleaner" mode in your oven. Stinks a bit - wife may not be tickled - but it works beautifully.

Thumper
09-10-2017, 10:45 PM
My buddy tried the oven cleaning method with his self-cleaning oven setting and cracked the crap out'ta his Gris chicken fryer. He was sick about it and it made me paranoid about trying it. But, lots of people do it with no ill effects.

HideHunter
09-11-2017, 09:44 AM
I'll be danged.. Only one I ever cracked (years ago) I threw directly into the coals in too hot a fire. The "oven" thing seems to be the gold standard on most of the sites I've visited..

Chicken Dinner
09-11-2017, 09:56 AM
I've also heard stories of folks discovering cracks that had been "seasoned" over after stripping all the seasoning off. I'm not sure I'd bother if the pay was otherwise working fine. To me, that's part of the history of the pan.

BarryBobPosthole
09-11-2017, 11:11 AM
That's what I'm hoping to do with this crack.
I just want to get a head start on it.

I shouldn't known better than to ask this bunch about spackling cracks.
BKB

Hombre
09-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Just use it as a specialty pan from now on. I suggest a searing pan for the steaks you pull off the grill. There's generally no juice left in those so you won't have to worry about leaks!