PDA

View Full Version : Strange sight!

Thumper
09-10-2017, 02:39 PM
With Irma to the south of us right now, the winds are easterly (hurricanes rotate counter clock-wise in the northern hemisphere). The wind has practically emptied out Tampa Bay and they say you can practically walk across it now! The winds will continue pushing water out of the Bay for quite a while longer, but once the eye gets here and passes by (which will bring on the westerly winds), look out! All that water that was pushed out of the Bay, as well as extra water from the Gulf that gets pushed into the Bay, will make for a pretty nasty storm surge. This isn't as dramatic as some of the pics I've seen and the Clearwater area is even more dramatic, but this is a slice of what's happening right now. That's strange looking if you're accustomed to seeing nothing but "ocean" where this pic shows just sand. Irma just made a bunch of new beachfront property! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-10-2017, 02:44 PM
That looks knd of like Bayshore Drive.

BKB

Thumper
09-10-2017, 02:59 PM
It is!

BarryBobPosthole
09-10-2017, 03:24 PM
I used to live about a block off of Bayshore in a shady little neighborhood just a couple miles north of Gate 2 of MacDill. It was an old old house that had been subdivided into two apartments. We lived upstairs. No A/C, just sea breezes off Tampa Bay. I loved that old place.

BkB

Big Muddy
09-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Thump, Jim Cantore said the receding water was being amplified because of it happening during low tide.....'course, he's a nut-job, standing inside the eye wall, right now. ;)

airbud7
09-10-2017, 06:12 PM
I used to live about a block off of Bayshore in a shady little neighborhood just a couple miles north of Gate 2 of MacDill. It was an old old house that had been subdivided into two apartments. We lived upstairs. No A/C, just sea breezes off Tampa Bay. I loved that old place.

That sounds like a prelude to a good book!.....

Thumper
09-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Yep Muddy, low tide made it even more dramatic. People who've lived here all their lives have never seen that. I had just left Thailand to come home for Christmas in 2004. The day after Christmas, the tsunami hit. Just before it rolled in, the frigging ocean disappeared! It looked like you could walk to India! A bazillion people headed out to explore the exposed ocean floor, then BOOM! A 35-foot wall of water came barreling in like a freight train. With a hurricane, the water comes in a lot slower in a pretty much controlled return. It's really that tidal surge that produces much of the flooding on the coast. Add another 30-inches of rain and you're swimming in your 2nd story bedroom!

Captain
09-10-2017, 08:10 PM
I got an idea, when that thing gets to blowing real hard go to the top floor of your house and throw a cat out the window and see if it lands on its feet. In fact let us know how many of the 12 cats you have land correctly.

Arty
09-10-2017, 08:55 PM
Thump, Jim Cantore said the receding water was being amplified because of it happening during low tide.....'course, he's a nut-job, standing inside the eye wall, right now. ;)
He also knows how to give a good nut job.

Captain
09-10-2017, 09:03 PM
He also knows how to give a good nut job.

And you would know this how????

BarryBobPosthole
09-10-2017, 09:17 PM
And you would know this how????

I second that question.

BKB

Thumper
09-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Put me down for 3rd.

And Cappy, Lynn said to bite her! Well, she would if I told her what you said anyway. :)

Captain
09-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Maybe they are secret Spandex Buddies???

Arty
09-11-2017, 06:52 AM
y'all didn't know he's a big gay?

Captain
09-11-2017, 07:24 AM
y'all didn't know he's a big gay?

No and it worries me a little that you know it... ;)

LJ3
09-11-2017, 12:06 PM
cantor is almost as gay as Liberace.