PDA

View Full Version : Wow ....

Thumper
09-10-2017, 10:00 PM
What a storm! On the current track, Irma's eye will be passing directly over my house in another couple hours. I'm thinking maybe the fact this one will hit in the dark is not such a bad idea. It's not as bad when you can't see it! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
09-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Batten down the hatches!

HideHunter
09-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Hang tough big guy.. We'll have a good thought.

Captain
09-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Thinking of you buddy. Get small for the next few hours.

Thumper
09-10-2017, 10:36 PM
Just came back in. I heard a huge crash outside and just made my rounds running around in the storm with a flashlight. Heck, it sounded like the roof blew off, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it was. I guess I'll find out in the morning. Every time there's a snag, I head out to do what I can do. I'm running out of dry clothes.

LJ3
09-10-2017, 10:37 PM
Keep your melon out of the wind!

Thumper
09-10-2017, 10:37 PM
I think you need to start a line. ;)

Thumper
09-10-2017, 10:53 PM
Well, the eye just crossed over the county line directly south of me. I'm in the north side of the county and it's on a beeline course for my back yard. Time to hang onto my hat! [emoji15]

Hombre
09-10-2017, 10:56 PM
Be safe. Let' us know your ok if you can.

airbud7
09-10-2017, 11:11 PM
Hang in there Thumper!!!...Stay Safe Bro!

Big Muddy
09-10-2017, 11:29 PM
The windy ho's in Orlando said it's blowing at 62 mph......dammitboy, keep yo big azz inside the house. ;)

Thumper
09-10-2017, 11:36 PM
Yep, and Orlando is 60 miles east of us. The wind is one thing, the gusts are the scariest. It sounds like a jet engine outside the windows! They're calling for 80-90 mph wind gusts for the next couple hours. Man-o-man, this thing is crazy!

Big Muddy
09-10-2017, 11:58 PM
I know you've been in hurricanes before, but is this the worst one you've been thru???

Thumper
09-11-2017, 12:40 AM
Hurricane Donna in 1960 was the worst up until now. I'm not really sure if this is worse or not, I was only 8 years old when Donna came through Orlando, but I remember it well. But going through these things with an 8-year old's understanding and lack of responsibilities, takes a lot of the stress away. When you're an adult homeowner, you tend to view things a bit differently.

I'm officially whooped right now. In a matter of seconds, water started pouring into the house from every door and even up through the tub and toilet! Mops and shop vac was no equal. It's like a river. Then, the power went out. Luckily (if you can call it luck) we have a tri-level house. Lower level is a large den, laundry room, bedroom and full bath. That level has a river flowing through it right now. We've given up and moved upstairs to higher ground. I don't even want to think about what will be facing me once the sun comes up.

Captain
09-11-2017, 04:01 AM
Check in when you can dude.
Still wondering about how y'all are fairing.

Thumper
09-11-2017, 05:34 AM
A big wind gust just woke me up. I spent the rest of the night in my truck in the driveway. All the comforts of home. Dry, nice a/c, lights, radio, reclining seats. Heck, I just laid back and rocked & rolled in the wind. Lynn wouldn't leave the cats, so I told her to call me in case of emergency. I'm 10 steps from the front door. The neighborhood is pitch black dark, but I can see the outline of the house, so I guess it's still there. I just climbed out'ta my truck to take a leak and stepped out into ankle deep water! It's STILL blowing like a mf'er, (yes, I pee'd downwind), so I'm gonna go back to sleep. Thanks for checking on me. I haven't heard from Lynn, so I guess she and the critters are ok.

Captain
09-11-2017, 06:48 AM
Glad you and Lynn are OK. Hopefully you will be out of it in a couple of hours.
And I also hope your water damage ain't too bad!

Big Muddy
09-11-2017, 08:18 AM
Dang, Thump, I was hoping and praying your home would get spared any damage.....how deep did it get inside the lower level???

Thumper
09-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Got about 2-3 inches of standing water. Trees down everywhere. Don't want to take pics in the rain right now. I've been going around checking on neighbors. Will check in later.

Thumper
09-11-2017, 08:54 AM
Just came back in. I heard a huge crash outside and just made my rounds running around in the storm with a flashlight. Heck, it sounded like the roof blew off, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it was. I guess I'll find out in the morning. Every time there's a snag, I head out to do what I can do. I'm running out of dry clothes.

Well, that question is answered now. I had my pool half drained and was waiting on a pool guy to come give me an estimate to re-marcite. That huge noise we heard last night was my 10' deep, in ground pool floating up out of the ground. The pool is now about 3' higher than it used to be. Of course it took the patio/deck with it. I'd thought about removing the darned thing, now I guess I'll have to.

Big Muddy
09-11-2017, 08:59 AM
DAY'UM !!!!!!....I've seen newly-installed empty septic tanks float outta the ground, after a big rain, but never a swimming pool.

Thumper
09-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Yeah, that's pretty common knowledge actually. I'd thought about it, but thought it'd be silly to refill it when expecting a bazillion inches of rain!

Captain
09-11-2017, 09:27 AM
If they don't have much water in them they will float every time in heavy rain
Man I'm sorry to hear this. They can pull it up and reseat it.
Hopefully insurance will cover it.

Penguin
09-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Good to hear you folks came through it alright Jimmie. I know it is going to be a mess for a long time but I'm thinking that it could very well have been much worse. I haven't heard of a lot of people getting killed so far and that is a very good thing.

Will

Chicken Dinner
09-11-2017, 10:00 AM
At least the cats are safe!:D

Captain
09-11-2017, 11:55 AM
At least the cats are safe!:D

He had a rare opportunity to conduct a scientific study with them cats and blew it....
See what I did there?

Big Skyz
09-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Slide those cats up under the pool before you have reset in the ground. Two problems solved at once. :)

Captain
09-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Slide those cats up under the pool before you have reset in the ground. Two problems solved at once. :)

Capital idea!

Big Muddy
09-11-2017, 04:23 PM
DAY'UM.....just walked in, and looked at the radar.....we're in the backlash of that biatch Irma, in a few hours.....winds have already picked up. !!!

Captain
09-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Yep it's a big one. It's kicking our asses right now with hard rain and some wind but thank goodness most of the wind is outta her!
That's a big storm to be raining on me and you both! There are a lot of miles between us.

Big Muddy
09-11-2017, 05:01 PM
This biatch needs to start heading northwest to Big Sky......he needs a buncha rain !!! ;)