PDA

View Full Version : Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

Big Skyz
09-11-2017, 05:23 PM
For the first time in months we actually have rain/snow in the forecast. Down in the valleys we are in for 1"-3" of rain and several inches of snow in the mountains. If it actually happens it should be enough to really knock the fires back, and even put a few out between Wednesday and Sunday night. I sure hope so, as I haven't breathed clear air for two months and its been really tough on everyone. Temperatures are supposed to drop as well. High's in the upper 40's to low 70's. Heck, I might even come out from under my rock and start living again. I'm hard wired for cooler/colder weather. The local fish and coyotes are about to be in a lot of trouble again very soon! Y'all can credit whomever you want for this huge blessing, but as for me and my house we will be thanking God for giving us some relief from the heat and cloudless skies. Bring on the rain and snow!!!

Big Muddy
09-11-2017, 06:09 PM
You are quite welcome.....the Good Lord, me and Cap willed that moisture to you.....a long distance gift from Miss Irma.....that biatch. ;)

Thumper
09-11-2017, 06:21 PM
B/S, please, please, PLEASE do not take this in the wrong way. I think you're well aware that I admire you, respect you and consider you a friend. But this is an example of one of the problems I have with understanding religion. You thank God for giving you "some relief from the heat and cloudless skies", but who gave them to you in the first place? A buddy I grew up with (we were friends since we were 7) grew up to be a minister. As you can imagine, we had PLENTY of serious "discussions". ;)

I remember when his sister came down with cancer. After fighting a long battle with surgery, chemo, meds and lots of pain and misery, she was cancer free. Every other word out of my buddy's mouth was "praise the Lord" and thanking God for pulling her through her illness. The cancer later returned and she passed away. Then he'd thank the Lord for the time she was given between illnesses. A few years later, my buddy was riding his bicycle, got hit by a car and was killed.

Just this morning I was helping my (VERY religious neighbors) with their storm damaged house as the whole neighborhood surveyed their own damages and personal hardships. My neighbors commented on the fact they prayed for the storm to go away and for a nice day today. They thanked God that their prayers were heard, nobody (in THEIR family was killed or injured) and today was clear so they could assess their damages and make repairs. I have no problem with being as positive as possible in a bad situation, but ...

My problem? Why is it God is always praised for ending hardships, but is never blamed for allowing them in the first place? Your weather is changing for the better. Praise the Lord!

My buddy's sister suffered greatly with cancer, but pulled through it, although temporarily. Praise the Lord! Why did He cause her suffering in the first place? THEN after all the pain and suffering she endured, He "let" her die anyway?

My neighbors today. All they did was thank God for the nice day we had today. Why not get royally pissed that He brought the storm upon us to begin with?

I could go on and on, but there's no need really. It's just that being on the "outside" looking in, I can't seem to be able to grasp the concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
09-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Dang, I'm just checking in here and see that Thumper dude is like a turd in the punch bowl!

(The last few days have been a bit rough) ;)

LJ3
09-12-2017, 10:19 AM
I think in this case BS may be using a figure of speech but what do I know. You need to douche, dude. Way too much sand in your vagina.

johnboy
09-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Thump you just can not use logic when discussing religion. It is not logical.

BarryBobPosthole
09-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Big turd. Small punchbowl.

BKB

Thumper
09-12-2017, 12:41 PM
It's a tough job, but SOMEBODY has to do it. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Well, let me try to answer your question. And maybe answer it with another question.

First off, I don't take any more issue with people praying for other people or for rain, or for relief, or anything else than
i do with people referring to nature as if it does things with some sort of intent.
Secondly, even though I count myself among the unbelievers I have witnessed first handthe power and affect of prayers. I know beyond a doubt that prayer help my Mom heal from cancer 33 years ago. No, I dont think it changed the cells in her body, but I do think it gave her strength to overcome it. How? Heck if I know. But Ihave seen it more and han once, and last year I think I actually felt it. And I am a skeptical guy, especially about this. But I don't question those things a bit.
My question is this: If religion didn't exist at all, would we know and recognize evil when we saw it? Think of the great wars and imagine if the connotation of the evil of the enemies didn't exist would we have even fought them? Most, probably all of the friends that I know that question religion don't for a second question the moral tenets of itn their own lives. They don't lie, they don't steal, they don't kill people that don't need killin' (had to caveat that), and they don't cheat on their wives.
Without religion would those tenets exist?
I'd say they wouldn't. I don't personally believe but i think the world is a better place because of the believers. How's that for a poser?
So when I hear someone thanking God for rain, snow, sunshine, shelter rom the storm, the IRS not catching on to that charitable contribution, it doesn't bother me too much. At least not as much as when I hear someone say 'Nature is taking care of herself'. (Birddog said that very thing to me this week when we were fishing)
Caveat: I might be wrong about this.
BKB

LJ3
09-12-2017, 02:01 PM
I'll buy that for a dollar.

Hopefully we won't have to hear about Jimmy's cotdamn uncle that made him all sandy about religion.

Big Muddy
09-12-2017, 02:19 PM
As an aside, I doubt ole Thump would be around, right now, if it hadn't been for a whole buncha prayers from this very GH group.....back then, how many times did you die on the table, Thump???

Thumper
09-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Well, you know what the real bummer was? Every time I croaked, I knew it was coming. By that point, I had been so frigging miserable for so long, I was almost ready for it. (notice I said, almost).

This may sound stupid, but every time I was ready to close my eyes, not knowing if I'd ever open them again, I kept thinking, ok God ... if you're there, take this chance to show me the light. Corny maybe, but I was honestly looking forward to seeing some sort of "tunnel of light", or to hopefully have one of those cool out of body experiences. You know, where I was stuck to the ceiling looking down on the surgeons as they pulled the sheet over my face. Dammit! It never happened!

Of course, if it had, I'd have probably been fubar, because then I'd have to hear all those "I told you so's" as I got shoved onto that big ol' elevator with nothing but a "DOWN" button on the panel.

Crap! Nuttin''. I will say the nightmares as I came out of my coma ... about the pirates whisking me off in a pirate ship to sell my organs ..... might'a been the Debbil hisowndamnself for all I know. ;)

Big Muddy
09-12-2017, 03:34 PM
HE wasn't and isn't finished with you, yet.....maybe HE kept you around just to help other folks out ???.....like you're doing, right now, down in Fla. ;)

quercus alba
09-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Using the devil to do his work, is that what you're saying Eddie?:poke

Big Muddy
09-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Nah, he ain't the debbil.....he just wants us to think he is. ;)

Thumper
09-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Who? Me? :huh

Just look at my avatar. Do I look devilish? :stirthepot:stirthepot:stirthepot

Chicken Dinner
09-12-2017, 09:11 PM
I'm not much for prayer, but I have a pretty vivid memory of sitting in Christmas Eve Service (at least that's my recollection) and telling God I didn't think it was your time. Im not trying to imply it made a difference in the outcome, but it made me feel better at least. And, maybe that's enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
09-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong, I REALLY appreciated the good vibes and prayers from you bunch of deplorables. It meant a lot to me ... and still does. You get to the point at times where you'll "try" anything whether it works or not. What can it hurt, and actually, how does one KNOW what works and what doesn't? I guess that's the whole problem with religion. Believing and KNOWING are two different things. I admire a person with conviction who honestly believe in their faith. Who can fault that? I only have a problem with someone who tells me FOR A FACT that they know the unknowable.

BarryBobPosthole
09-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Now you done opened up another can of worms.

BKB

Thumper
09-12-2017, 10:19 PM
It's my job here.

Captain
09-13-2017, 07:31 AM
And another thread highjacked

Glad y'all are getting some relief up there Big Sky!

quercus alba
09-13-2017, 11:13 PM
Hey BS, any of wet stuff falling yet

Big Skyz
09-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Started raining last night and is supposed to last all day today and through tomorrow. I can't begin to tell y'all how good it feels to be able to breathe again without a headache and feeling nauseated. Not to mention not having my eyes water and burn all day long. This isn't just me but pretty much everyone suffered this to some degree. Folks with asthma and other respiratory problems really had a tough time. Once this storm passes I might actually see the mountains and blue skies again. It's been a long time.

Funny side note: It's been so long since I have had a need to use the windshield wipers in my car I didn't remember where it was this morning. It took some looking to remember which lever or switch to turn.

BarryBobPosthole
09-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Good to hear!

BKb

Thumper
09-14-2017, 09:51 AM
Great news Sky. Your mountain reference reminded me of when I first moved to L.A. The summers are the worst times of the year for smog as air temps affect the inversion layer. In the fall/winter, when cooler weather moves in, the air clears up quite a bit. I got out of the Army in August ('75) and moved to L.A. (I'd never been there before) I rented an apartment and started my new job. After a couple months there, I was on my way to work one morning and saw that I was surrounded by mountains! I'd lived there for months, drove to work every day and until that particular morning, I had no clue those mountains were there!

Big Muddy
09-14-2017, 10:16 AM
Sky, I've been keeping up with ya'lls situation out there.....man, that is great news !!!

Bwana
09-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Bring on the moisture!