PDA

View Full Version : People helping people ...

Thumper
09-12-2017, 09:11 AM
I have an old Army buddy and we've stayed in touch over the years, but it's not really the constant contact like with my super close buds. Anyway, he's some sort of big-wig with some power company. I have no clue what he does persactly, but he travels quite a bit. It seems he'll be at a particular plant for a year or so, then return home (Mississippi) for a while, then end up at some other plant for an extended period of time. Kinda like being deployed in the military. His family stays at their home in Mississippi while he's gone. Right now he's working at a plant in Alabama.

Well, he contacted me yesterday and asked how we came through the storm. When I told him of the issues, he told me he had a few days off coming up and has 3 generators at home. (600, 2500 & 5500 watt) He offered to drive back to Mississippi, pick them up, and bring them down to me if I could use them. He said he knows generators down here are pretty much sold out and hard to come by, so he can't stand having 3 generators sitting idle in his garage when so many people are in need right now. I thought that was a bit "over the top" generous and thanked him for the offer as I told him of the possibility I may be able to borrow the Hyatt generator.

Well, last night (as I was picking up the Hyatt generator) he called to double check to make sure I didn't need one. Evidently he saw on Facebook that there was a guy in Orlando who's mother is pretty much home bound, on oxygen, and has no power. My buddy doesn't know (or remember) him, but it turns out they went to the same high school. He's made an offer to bring one of his generators down to that guy if he needs it. I then offered to meet him half way and deliver the gen to Orlando if he needed a hand.

I figure, no matter how crappy my situation is right now, I can still afford the time to help a friend who offered me help. So, I'm awaiting the call. This ol' world ain't so bad.

airbud7
09-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Ya'll good people Jim...usa2,,, :thumbsup

LJ3
09-12-2017, 10:22 AM
See? Maybe you're not so sandy after all.

BarryBobPosthole
09-12-2017, 10:22 AM
So now you have a ginny, what you got her hooked up to? You able to save what food y'all have in fridge and freezer?

Are the cats comfy?

BKb

Thumper
09-12-2017, 12:52 PM
No comfort really. I'm running 2 large refrigerators and a large upright freezer. Then I'm also running a water pump to transfer water from the back yard to the lake. Add the microwave, a small lamp for light and a small fan for a bit of air movement and we have all the minimal comforts covered. I started to try adding a tv, but didn't want to push my luck. Plus, I already have enough frigging extension cords running through the house to trip over. Don't need another one! But, although we have the basics covered, a shower, hot water and A/C sure would be nice! 😩

Thumper
09-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Oh! And a working toilet!