PDA

View Full Version : I Wonder

BarryBobPosthole
09-12-2017, 02:09 PM
How many drones are there performing searches for people in need in Florida and Texas?

If there ain't why not? They could find people and get things to people in a skosh.

There should be a whole air force of them in the air there.

BKb

Big Muddy
09-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Not sure about the actual searching for survivor needs, but there's been several of them out there surveying the damages.....I've watched several of their videos.....I think they were posted on the Weather Channel website.

I saw one, where a power crew used a flame-throwing drone to burn off a piece of plastic that was grounding out a power line.....not sure where that happened, however.

Thumper
09-12-2017, 02:56 PM
I saw footage from Texas (I think), where an individual had been whisked off by a flash flood. He was stranded on the top of his pick-up truck and they used a drone to drop him a life preserver and line (kinda like Amazon!), then pulled him in to safety. We're just scratching the surface with these things.

Captain
09-12-2017, 02:57 PM
They would need internet to use the drones. That's down in most areas.

Thumper
09-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Huh? Why internet? I wasn't aware of that. Isn't it like flying a remote control airplane?

Captain
09-12-2017, 03:15 PM
To get the images out. To see. They don't have a big ass camcorder attached to them recording on tape

Thumper
09-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Well, they have those tiny little spy cams with tiny transmitters, but now that you mention it, they would need internet to intercept the images. I just never thought of it before.

Thumper
09-12-2017, 03:32 PM
No wait! Why would they need internet to receive the images? The camera and transmitter are very small. The crew would have the receiver. Right?

LJ3
09-12-2017, 03:44 PM
You're taking IT guidance from a retarded LEO. Just sayin' :)

RETIRED! I mean retired!

BarryBobPosthole
09-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Just say over and over to yourself...'It's all FM, it's all FM'

BKb

Thumper
09-12-2017, 04:31 PM
I'm beginning to think that old Tarheel may be into the Wilderberry juice today. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-12-2017, 05:47 PM
He has a housefull, no electricity, and he can't leave and go do something. Anything. You know the guy as well as me. He's prolly cutting the drape cords and smoking the hemp too.

BKB

Captain
09-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Power is back on as of 5 minutes ago. Waiting to hear from my daughter that left today to go back to Savannah.
Today is the 35th anniversary of me making Mrs. Captain Avery happy woman. So you all bite me.

Trav
09-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Cappy you would need internet to post the video and that could be fixed or cellular but you don't need internet to relay the image from the drone to your phone/tablet. My DJI Magic Pro has a posted video range of 4.3 miles but the furthest I have flown it is 2.5 miles.

Captain
09-13-2017, 07:28 AM
I think my point was like in the keys if you were using a drone to find people all power is out and all cell towers down. Communication is like zero there so what good would a drone do. Not sure if you could fly it in a hurricane wind either.
By the time the wind calmed down enough to fly it all your victims would have drowned or bled out.....

Thumper
09-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I don't believe anybody expected them to be flying DURING a hurricane. AFTER the storm they'd be searching for trapped survivors, etc. ALL of our emergency services were suspended DURING the storm ... it was just too dangerous to respond. The fact it came through here in the middle of the night, made it even more dangerous. That's why people were told to evacuate ... if you should get in trouble, nobody can come to rescue you. We had all sorts of bozos driving around in the pitch dark (all electricity out, no traffic lights, no street lights, etc) and running into big trees or power poles that had fallen across the road, but could not be seen in the dark. Some people get a little crazy.

LJ3
09-13-2017, 10:59 AM
High end drones have closed radio communication systems. No innerwebs needed.

BarryBobPosthole
09-13-2017, 11:10 AM
That's what I'm talkin about....high end shit.

I just think we've only scratched the surface, assomeone else already said, for how these things could be used for search and rescue. If for not thing else they could deliver water and food and medicine to places like Key West right now.

The northeastern Caribbean is totally fucked. They need some basic help, like military type support, and they need it now.

BKB

Arty
09-13-2017, 10:03 PM
I guess if you had enough bailing twine you could fly them there drones from one tree stand to another in search of damn near anything

Binoculars for instance.

But then again the twine to pull the drone back to you would probably get wrapped up on limbs and so forth out In the woods, so what good are they?