PDA

View Full Version : Why oh why oh why

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2017, 10:30 AM
....did I ever buy a effing FORD?

My daughter needed me to help her find a dependable used car earlier this year. I did a pretty thorough search and research and found a good deal on a low mileage 2013 Ford Fusion. Its a slick little car. Me being a Ford hater, my family was astounded that was what I picked out for her but the car had awesosme reviews and the price and mileage made it a value.

Fast forward to thos past Friday. She called me and said her car was overheating and described the symptoms: car overheats when first started, she pulls over and after it sits a minute the temp guage drops to normal and all is good. Sounded like a thermostat. Had her bring it out to me. Once the dad gum car got to my house it broke. Even with a cool engine, it shows overheated on the gauge and goes into 'engine saving mode', much like a marine engine does when it overheats. So its gotta be a sensor. I look it up. Its a Ford recall.
So I start searching for Ford dealers, since its a recall, and find one that promises today or tomorrow. I'm waiting for a tow now.

I've driven chevys my whole GD life.
never had to have one towed.
NEVER.

Why oh why oh why did I talk myself into this shitheap?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
09-18-2017, 10:32 AM
I dunno. Recalls happen and it looks like the motor shut down before something major could go wrong. I wouldn't let one blip sour me on what otherwise sounds like a good deal.

airbud7
09-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Agree with CD^....things like this happen.....I think the Ford Fusion looks good...

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Cars are so dependable these days its really frustrating when they aren't.

I'll stop my whining.

But I sure as hell won't buy another Found On Roadside Dead.

BKB

LJ3
09-18-2017, 10:52 AM
It's amazing to me how reliability has changed over the years. Back in the 80's you'd see dead cars all the time. I used to say a little prayer and appreciation for my old ass cars before I attempted to start them. Now... I press a button on my key while my road coffee is brewing and it automatically starts the engine firing electronic sequence which works 100% of the time.

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2017, 11:00 AM
Overheating is pretty much the only thing that'll kill them these days.

BKB

airbud7
09-18-2017, 11:06 AM
you can say that again^

Chicken Dinner
09-18-2017, 11:11 AM
You can say that again!

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2017, 11:29 AM
I can say that many times, thankyouverymuch.

BKb

HideHunter
09-19-2017, 10:12 AM
lol... I've been a Ford man since 1965.. Owned one Chevy - drove it 2000 miles. They put a motor in it.. Drove it another 1000 - they put a transmission in it (all warranty). Traded a "new" Chevy on a new Ford. In January, I bought a Dodge Ram.. 2014, paid cash.. Finally put 3000 miles on it so time for an oil change.. They addressed the "recall" (made it worse) have to take it back - cost me $318 to get the "check engine" light to go out (emissions) and now I think the back-up camera is going..

Whyohwhy did I ever buy anything but an effing FORD! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-19-2017, 10:22 AM
lol

Chicken Dinner
09-19-2017, 10:45 AM
A couple of the guys at camp this past weekend had new F-150's and they were giving me the itch for a new truck. Lots of new gizmos like a step up that pops out of the tail gate to make it easier for you geezers to get up there and a no slam tailgate (sort of like those fancy toilet seats that don't bang when you drop them. The best was a bottle opener that fits over the one of the utility track receptacle thingy's. :D

BarryBobPosthole
09-19-2017, 11:14 AM
A couple of the guys at camp this past weekend had new F-150's and they were giving me the itch for a new truck. Lots of new gizmos like a step up that pops out of the tail gate to make it easier for you geezers to get up there and a no slam tailgate (sort of like those fancy toilet seats that don't bang when you drop them. The best was a bottle opener that fits over the one of the utility track receptacle thingy's. :D

I carry one of these in the bed of my truck so I don't have to get up in the bed.

And one of these in the back floorboard for odds and ends or for trash in a pinch. It also works awesomely as a step if I have to get up in the bed.

Both are cheaper and more reliable than a Ford.

Country boy can survive, mutha---

BKB

Chicken Dinner
09-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Neither one of those will open a beer bottle in a pinch though.

BarryBobPosthole
09-19-2017, 11:43 AM
A bic lighter lighter males a good church key in a pinch.

I guess the opener in the bed is so when you're stuck by the side of the road you can sit in the tailgate and listen to rap music and drink Colt 45 tall boys?

BKb

Thumper
09-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Ha! Interesting thread. Ford, Chevy and Dodge complaints. Hmmm, what's missing here? OH YEAH, no Toyota complaints! :poke

HideHunter
09-19-2017, 12:46 PM
My buddy has a Toyota Tundra.. Got in it a couple weeks ago and all his idiot lights were flashing.. Took it to the dealer.. seems "someone" had cut a wire that runs along the axle.. $300 plus. A week later - same thing - another 300 bucks. I set up a trail cam and caught a rabbit chewing on the wiring. Seems Toyota is using a soybean-based covering on their wiring.. He now has to park it inside with the doors closed so the varmints don't eat his truck. There - equal opportunity. ;)

johnboy
09-19-2017, 01:12 PM
Had Ford trucks - no problems. Had Chev/GMC trucks - no problems. Had a Toyota Rav - POS. This Super Duty diesel I've got now is a beaut plus it gets over 20 mpusg. Not bad for a 1 ton truck.

Thumper
09-19-2017, 02:11 PM
My buddy has a Toyota Tundra.. Got in it a couple weeks ago and all his idiot lights were flashing.. Took it to the dealer.. seems "someone" had cut a wire that runs along the axle.. $300 plus. A week later - same thing - another 300 bucks. I set up a trail cam and caught a rabbit chewing on the wiring. Seems Toyota is using a soybean-based covering on their wiring.. He now has to park it inside with the doors closed so the varmints don't eat his truck. There - equal opportunity. ;)

Ha! He doesn't need a garage, all he needs is a yard cat! Yeah, I've heard there's a class action lawsuit against a few auto makers for the wiring. Frankly, it's nothing new. I couldn't tell you how many cars I saw come through the shop for rodent eaten wiring while I was in the car biz. Rats and squirrels were the main culprits. Heck, I started in the business in the mid-60's and it was prevalent then, who knows how many decades it's been a problem? BUT ... you can thank the environmentalists and the Green Movement for amplifying the problem in recent years. They want "organic" and "bio-degradable" products, then bitch when those products cause problems. FYI, most ALL automakers have problems with rodents gnawing on wiring ... but the class action suits always start with the largest producers ... Toyota is one of them.

Here is partial list of cars that have been recently damaged by rodent attacks:

NISSAN

NISSAN

2015 Nissan Versa - wires chewed the repair cost was around $2200. (Crowley, TX)
2015 Nissan Altima - wires chewed the repair cost was $700. (Nowata, Oklahoma)
2014 Nissan Juke - Rodents chewed the insulation (which they used for nesting) as well as brake lines, transmission fluid tank, battery casing and entire center harnesses and wiring. I was informed this is over $5,000 worth of damage [image].(Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
BMW

BMW

2014 BMW i3REx - I took my car into the dealer after having trouble opening the charging flap on the car. I thought it was going to be a simple fix. I got a call from BMW that afternoon, that I had rodent infestation damage in my car and it was not going to be pretty. When I went down to BMW to look at the damage, there were wires eaten on every side of the car, in the front of the car, on the right and left sides of the car, and underneath the car. The insulation, which surrounds the brains of the car was eaten as well. I was told that part would cost an additional $2,000 to replace just in labor, plus an additonal $3,000 for replacing the entire rear harness as well as wires to the charging port on the right rear and a nest in the front of the car and things eaten there. I have been living here for over 14 years and I have never had any problems with rodent damage to my cars, ever, and neither has my roommate who also has a car. Both cars were parked in the same carport, no difference. (Tiburon, California)
2011 BMW 128i - estimate: $3,000 engine had to be pulled due to extensive damage.(Los Angeles, California)
2003 BMW 525i - material on the underside of hood has been gnawed away by one or more rodents. My car is garaged.(Seal Beach, California)
MAZDA

MAZDA

2015 MAZDA CX-5 - $97 worth of damage to the wiring (Springfield, MO)
2014 MAZDA 3 about $900 in wiring damage; 2 occurrences within 3 weeks on two different vehicles
(Seattle, Washington)
2008 MAZDA 3 pre-purchase used car evaluation turned out to have rodent damage. (Chandler, Arizona).
2008 MAZDA 3 discovered a nest under the hood and lots of gnawing on the firewall insulation. (Chandler, Arizona).
1996 MAZDA Miata - (North Haven, CT)
FCA

DODGE

2015 DODGE Ram 3/4 ton pickup Battery cover plus the firewall insulation is completely gone. (Placerville California) [image]
2014 DODGE Journey replaced wiring, an ABS module and a wheel sensor. Over $700 in damage. (Livingston, Montana)
2009 DODGE Ram 1500 - had the check engine light come on. The dealer said the emission control lines appeared to have been eaten by rodents. The vehicle is parked outside. The gas tank had to be dropped to replace the lines. The cost was over $300. The extended warranty would not cover it. (Holland, Ohio)
1998 DODGE Ram - always outside through 2010, suffered significant damage several times, had to be towed to get repaired.
JEEP

2016 JEEP Wrangler Anniversary Edition. SECOND time in a 2 month span. The first time the damage was $2000. [image1] [image2] [image3] [image4]
2014 JEEP Grand Cherokee - Two times damage from rats eating wiring.
2014 JEEP Grand Cherokee - $2,300 repair for rats eating engine wires and 2 sensors ( Showlow, Arizona)
2013 JEEP Wrangler Sport - 2,984 miles on vehicle. (Wichita Falls, Texas)
2014 JEEP Patriot Sport - 11,000 miles on vehicle. Ground squirrels chewed the wiring to horn, repaired by dealer for $150. (Roseville, California)
2014 JEEP Wrangler Sahara - First time the Damage done was $550.00 then 30 days later they did $5,500 worth of damage... (Harker Heights, Texas)
CHRYSLER

2007 Chrysler 300 - 60,000 miles; now three months at the Dealer and almost $4,000 in various repairs, and still isn't running! (Fort Lauderdale, Florida)
2012 Chrysler town and country - wiring harness had been ate by rodents..it was not covered by insurance it cost us $600 - Foresthill California
FORD

FORD

2016 FORD Escape - 4000 miles - Rodents chewed through the wires not once but twice . The first two times was over $450.00. Not covered by warranty.(Covington, Geogia)
2016 FORD Escape - Rodents chewed through not once but three times. The first two were in my car and the third time was in my rental car. The first two times was over $2,500 in damage.(Perrysburg, Ohio)
2016 FORD C Max energi - Within 30 days of purchase I had rodent damage and had to get it repaired. $626.00. It is now 1/4/17 and my car would not start and warning lights came on saying not to drive. It is on the way back to Ford dealer for assessment. I think damage is much worse this time. Damage happened at 2 separate locations. (Malibu, California)
2015 FORD Edge - 600 miles - Squirrels got in and chewed through wires next to the battery. $250.00 to replace. (San Marcos, Texas)
2016 FORD F250 Diesel - parked outside (as usual). I check under the hood monthly, one morning a check engine light, took it to Ford and they reported that the main wiring harness and several sensors, cooling hoses and the like were damaged. Portions of the harness were actually consumed, some cables just chewed on $1600 - covered by insurance minus deductible ($500) as part of comprehensive. My previous 2000 F350 lived outside for fifteen years and was never damaged this way.(Fort Collins, Colorado)
2015 FORD F-150 Pick-Up Wiring Damage $1,074. Truck is 6 weeks old and is thoroughly infested with mice droppings, nests, etc. Wires are chewed, sensors are damaged.
We live in the country and have an old, open garage.
We have lived here for 25 years and housed two F150 trucks (1997 and 2000) in addition to this new one. We also housed a GMC pickup in this building from 1990 to fall of 1997.
NO rodent problems AT ALL with any of the other vehicles. (Stoughton, Wisconsin)
2015 Ford Escape - 6000 miles. Squirrels chewed through windshield wiper fluid hoses and pump that cost $250.00. I then tried Critter Ridder granules after the repair only to find that they chewed on the wheel well insulation on the passenger side. Then they chewed the driver's side as well. I have lived in the same house since 1989 and always parked in this driveway. About 10 vehicles over the years between husband and kids including my 2001 F150 that I just let go in 2015. Never had a problem prior to the 2015 Ford Escape.(Austin, Texas)
2015 FORD Escape my Ford dealer told me that chipmunks were the reason my new Ford Escape stunk and the fan made a horrible clunking noise when I turned it on. $1000 (Riverhead, New York)
2014 FORD Escape - $946.00 of damage Wires, plastic reservoir for brake fluid (Blackwood, NJ)
2014 FORD Focus Electric - car has been at the shop for almost two months now. Over $3000 worth of damage and counting.(Seattle, Washington)
2013 FORD F-150 Pick-Up Wiring Damage (Raymond, Mississippi)
2013 Ford Focus electric - Car totally disabled by rodent chewing through double-insulated high voltage conductor. Harris Ford of Lynwood, WA, not covered under warranty; estimated cost -- $2800.
2010 Ford Escape Wiring harness damage two separate incidents. $800 each time. (Indianapolis, Indiana)
2010 Ford F-150 Rodents chewed through several wiring harnesses. Truck had to be towed to dealer. Damage $1500 [2/2017] (Azle, TX)
2010 through 2013 FORD vehicles made in USA with "soy" foam seats - 58 incidents.
LINCOLN

2016 MKC - windshield fluid line was chewed around $140.00 to repair (Detroit Michigan)
2016 MKX (2) - rodents chewed a hole in the tubing around the gas tank where the filler line comes in $300. Second incident: nest was found in the engine compartment along with chewed wires which will cost around $2000. (Bradenton, Florida)
JLR

JAGUAR

2012 Jaguar XF (S) rodent chewed a hole in the tubing around the gas tank where the filler line comes in to the tune of $400+ (Bradenton, Florida)
HYUNDAI-KIA

HYUNDAI

2015 HYUNDAI Genesis - rodent damage on 2 separate occasions. The first was $204 to repair. The second with a $4,650 repair estimate. They say the engine harness assy. control wiring and the wiring assy. front parking module need to be replaced. (Highlands Ranch Colorado)
2015 HYUNDAI Sonata Multiple damage occurences, including cabin air filter $100; A/C compressor wiring $500 in insurance deductible. 4 other vehicles of various makes parked at the same location were never attacked by rodents. My car appears to be the only one under attack.(Texarkana, AR)
2013 HYUNDAI Azera It started with mice getting the cabin air filter and then dying somewhere early on 2014. October 2015 they ate thru the electrical harness costing $2,846, November 2015 damage to coolant temp sensor $190, February 2016 ate thru the oxygen sensor for $250 and now they have eaten thru most of the electrical in the dash cost unknown at this time.(Paige, Texas)
2013 HYUNDAI Elantra (5) - 4,000 miles. Check engine light came on. A wire on the engine harness had been chewed through by some critter. They said it happens all the time because of the new wires they use. Repairs, not covered by warranty, are over $2,000.(Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania)
2013 HYUNDAI Sonata squirrel damage on 2 separate occasions approx. $1,200 spent on repairs ( Philadelphia, PA )
2012 HYUNDAI Accent The mice have just done $6300 in damage to car engine's wiring. My car was also attacked a few months ago, but then we caught the damage early, costing only $180. I live in the city and park on the street along with all of my neighbors. I find it very interesting that my car appears to be the only one under attack.(St. Louis, MO)
2006 HYUNDAI Santa Fe SUV - @ 52,000 miles damage done by squirrels approx $950 for the first repair, $1,700 for the second repair. [image1] (Philadelphia, PA)
2003 HYUNDAI Santa Fe SUV - Engine air filter, cabin air filter, mice eating interior roof material, dead mouse in gas tank . That last fix was $700.00. Replaced filters numerous times due to nests. (Fort Qu' Appelle, Sask, Canada)
2001 HYUNDAI Elantra - mice set up camp inside of the Glove Box - three separate incidents. No damage to wiring or any other components. (Las Vegas, Nevada)
KIA

2011 KIA Sorento - sent to the shop for the 2nd time the sensor light came on and it was taken to the garage where we were told that rodents ate up the wires in the harness. We were quoted $4000.00 to replace the harness and wiring but instead we told the garage to fix the couple of wires that messed up costing us over $262.00 and spending 3 days in the garage.
2011 KIA Sportage - wiring harness was attacked inside of garage - about $4000 in damages initially, second attack occurred two months latter when parked outside. (Ohio)
2014 KIA Soul - wire harness was eaten by rats Estimated cost $5,000 - purchased new KIA instead. (Phoenix, Arizona)
2016 KIA Sportage - ABS and traction control wiring Cost $350. ABS and traction control wiring again. Cost $140.(Phoenix, Arizona)
2017 Kia Cadenza (Premium version with Technology pkg) - rat getting in my rear bumper and eating the wires. The cost for repair is just under $400, as rodent damage isn't included in what I thought to be an exhaustive 60k bumper to bumper warranty.(Atlanta, Georgia)
DAIMLER

Mercedes-Benz

2015 Mercedes-Benz ML 250 - wiring harness destroyed by a colony of mice, estimated to be in the range of $15,000 to $20,000 but Mercedes has said they need at least 15 weeks to make the harness.
2012 Mercedes-Benz ML 350 4Matic
2009 Mercedes-Benz GL 320 Bluetec car harness wires were chew by a rodent. (Mt. Vernon, New York)
1997 Mercedes-Benz S600 sedan
FUJI

SUBARU

2017 SUBARU Outback...it has been in the dealership service department for a week due to rat damage. The cost so far is $1650. (Denton, Texas)
2015 SUBARU cross trek had a chipmonk living in the engine hood liner and mice were living in the interior of the car leaving a very bad smell.(San Diego, California)
2014 SUBARU Forester - Vehicle burned down - complete loss - only 7,000 miles, rodent damage to fuel lines suspected, as vehicle has been damaged two times before the final inferno. (New Jersey)
2013 SUBARU Outback - Rodents chewed through the transmission harness wiring and it cost me $450.00 to repair in addition to a rental car for 3 days while the Subaru service department ordered, received and finally replaced the wiring. It was not covered under warranty and they would not give me a loaner car. (Des Moines, Iowa)
2013 SUBARU Outback - transmission sensor wire was chewed through. (Atlanta , Georgia)
2013 SUBARU Outback - The mice chewed out both fuel lines and did the telltale damage under the hood to the battery cap, reservoirs, and some hoses, about $2300 in damages. (Blaine, Washington)
2013 SUBARU Outback - The damage is in excess of $3,000
(Little Rock, Arkansas) [image1] [image2]
2010 through 2013 SUBARU - over 215 incidents - apparently a very tasty cars.
2009 SUBARU Legacy - 85,000 miles. The dealership charged $250 to put electrical tape on the rodent damaged wires. (Oakmont, PA)
2006 SUBARU Outback - had its wires chewed and fixing them cost $800 (San Diego, California)
TOYOTA

TOYOTA

2016 TOYOTA Tundra (5) - (9,000 miles) Attacked by rabbits over the space of 4 days in early April 2017, eating my 4WD actuator wire underneath the truck. $2,109.42 in repairs
Even with a PLATINUM maintenance plan in place, Toyota has refused to cover the damage.
2016 TOYOTA Tundra - Over $6000 in damage on a truck I have had since April that has less than 2,800 miles on it that has over both instances has been at the dealer a total of a month and a half! (Dudley, Massachusetts)
2016 TOYOTA Tundra - (Charlotte NC)
2016 TOYOTA 4runner. - 12600 miles. I have had it about a month and put less than 1,000 miles on it. I parked it in my carport. I went to get into the vehicle and leave for work. It would not run correct. Had it towed to the dealer. Apparently a rodent chewed the master wiring harness. Damaged it in 2 places. $3500-$5500 in repairs. I have two warranties on the vehicle through Toyota and they will not fix it.(Corvallis, Oregon)
2016 TOYOTA Camry - only 137 miles since new, wires to oxygen sensor chewed, dealer did not have the parts, had to take it to independent mechanic to have temporary fix. (New York City)
2015 TOYOTA RAV4 - Rodents caused $5,500 in damage, which the dealership refused to fix under her warranty, so the owner filed class action suit. (Clermont, Florida)
[Link to Details]
2015 TOYOTA Tundra - A rodent chewed through the fuel vapor management hose which is an integral part of the gas tank. It cost $1,361 to replace the fuel tank.(Damascus, Maryland)
2015 TOYOTA Prius-C - Washer hoses, expense was $171.00. (Bellingham, WA)
2015 TOYOTA Tacoma Rodent damage causing $2,700 in damage wires chewed, they need to remove the whole top half of engine, to get too nest.(Middletown New York)
2015 TOYOTA Sequoia with 11K miles on it - estimating $5,000 in damage. (Springfield, MA)
2015 Toyota Camry - wiring tastier than the peanut butter I put on the traps in the garage. Cost of repair was $167 for labor to splice the wires to headlight.(Rock Hill, South Carolina)
2015 TOYOTA Tundra - (Charlotte NC)
2015 TOYOTA Highlander - Wire harness damage - $350 (Brookline MA)
2015 TOYOTA Prius - The emergency dash lights would not go off. I was told a rat had chewed through the wires near the spare tire to the tune of $300.00.
Was told by dealership it was not covered under warranty and there is no way to prevent rodents from entering the car. (Sarasota, Florida)
2015 TOYOTA Prius V - second rat attack. The first attack repair cost: $8404.93 and the second attack-a month later-cost was $8606.59. Over $17K in repairs and still they are putting the same wiring back in the car. (Phoenix, Arizona)
See the video link #2 for TV News Story about this incident.
2015 TOYOTA 4Runner - One injector wire connector had been chewed completely through $240. 4 days later, more chewed wires $600. (Kansas)
2014 TOYOTA 4Runner - main engine harness costing $5500 in damage.
[image]
2014 TOYOTA Corolla - over $4,000 in wiring damage, while repair was covered by Insurance, owner still had to pay $500 deductible. (Brooksville, Florida)
2013 TOYOTA Camry - only 100 miles since new !
2013 TOYOTA Venza Ltd - bought new 6 weeks ago, extensive under hood damage.
2012 TOYOTA Camry - only 4 weeks old ! (Santa Monica, California)
2011 TOYOTA Camry Hybrid - $4000 to replace elecrtical wiring - to be followed by the same damage a month month later.
2011 TOYOTA 4Runner - Attacked by squirrels several times over $4,000 in damages. (Maryland)
2011 TOYOTA Camry SEV6 - THREE times rats have chewed up wiring harness. Over $500 each time to replace the wiring. (Valencia, California)
2011 TOYOTA 4 Runner - Totaled over the course of a weekend, while it sat in owner's garage, all due to rodents chewing it up.
2010 TOYOTA Yaris - mice ate insulation abs brake lines and 2 car computers and destroyed 2 heater fans probably about 5k damages... (Hico, Texas)
2010 TOYOTA Camry - had the main wiring harness eaten and devoured 4 times in less than a year! At a cost of $1,100-1,500 a pop, and a $500 insurance deductible. (Hico, Texas)
2010 TOYOTA Venza - mice caused $2,800 in damages.
2010 TOYOTA RAV4 - wiring damage. (Plano, Texas)
2009 TOYOTA Highlander - Mice have chewed on floor mats and have eaten the air filter. (Madisonville, Louisiana)
2009 TOYOTA RAV4 - Multiple parts including the passenger air bag. Repair costs: $10,257.91
2009 TOYOTA Camry - A squirrel destroyed wiring harness. Over $500 to replace the wiring. (Valencia, California)
2009 TOYOTA Tundra (Charlotte NC)
2007 TOYOTA Highlander - wiring harness. $3600 parts and labor. Covered by comprehensive part of insurance. (Columbus, Ohio).
2007 TOYOTA 4Runner - mice had somehow got into the cabin and took stuffing out of the seats and made a nest in the glove box.(Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada)
2005 TOYOTA 4Runner The little buggers chewed through a coolant hose causing the engine to overheat and the head gasket failed. Cost to repair was $4668.14. Then I got it back, drove it home and parked it in the driveway and the rodents attacked again that same night and chewed the same hose. The next morning I drove it for 9.3 miles and the head gasket failed again. So in less than 24 hours the rodents cost almost another $5000 of damage plus an $89.79 tow. So the total damage was $9426.07. (Redmond, Washington)
2001 TOYOTA Avalon - $1,820 to have 2 Knock Sensors and Harness replaced (Williamsburg, Virginia)
SCION

2014 SCION tC about $500 in Rat damage to wiring system.
(Odessa, Texas)
LEXUS

2015 LEXUS RX 350 - 2 incidents of mice and squirrel damage slightly more than $10,000 worth of damage. The prior year $1700 (East Hampton, New York)
2012 LEXUS GX 460 - 3 incidents of rodent damage since with a total of almost $2000 in bills. (Edmond, Oklahoma)
2011 LEXUS RX 350 - damage by a rodent chewing on the fuel injector wire. $410.63.
2010 LEXUS ES350 - mouse house sitting on the cabin air filter. No other damage was noticed other than replacing the air filter. (Springfield, MA)
2010 LEXUS ES 350 -The wiring harness and Part of insulation of the engine covering. cost (estimate) between $300-$400. (Grand Prairie, Texas)
2009 LEXUS LS-460 had considerable rodent-caused wiring damage after I was gone for three weeks vacation and left my car in my garage for that time. When I tried to start it on return from vacation it would not even turn over. I called AAA and they diagnosed the problem as rodent damage to the wiring. I had the car towed to the Lexus dealership and they repaired the damaged wiring with a bill of almost $2,000. Luckily, my car insurance (USAA) covered the damage repair bill (less $250 deductible).(Westminster, California)
2008 Lexus ES 350 - Falsely triggered traction control and engine coolant temperature sensor warnings due to wiring damage that was $500 to fix. It also was not the first time I had a rat problem with the car- shortly after getting it a year ago, a mechanic discovered a rat's nest in the engine bay on top of the spark plug wiring. [image] (Brooklyn, New York)
2006 LEXUS RX330 - mice set up camp on top of the "cabin air filter" which, is located inside of the vehicle - two incidents, however only requiring the air filter replacement. (Las Vegas, Nevada)
2006 LEXUS LS430 - rodents did $7,342 of damage. The bumper, radiator, and engine had to be removed in order to replace the ($4,454) wiring harness because the harness is inaccessibly sandwiched between the engine and the firewall! (Los Altos, California)
HONDA

HONDA

2016 HONDA Fit Noticed mice damage a few months after I bought my car, November 2015. (Santa Rosa, California)
2016 HONDA Accord (lease) Rodents chewed gas tank and fuel lines. So far Honda's repair bill is $1,500.00. (Marlton, New Jersey)
2016 HONDA Accord (lease) $2,000.00 first incident within 6 weeks of delivery, repeat incident within 1 week after repairs, another $2K. (Waukesha, Wisconsin)
2014 HONDA CR-V (2) - $5200 worth of damage to plastic, wiring, harnesses, carpet and plastic interior. The same night I brought it home from repairs, the rats started chewing on some of the plastic coverings under the hood. (Roseburg, Oregon)
2013 Honda Pilot - My insurance company, Country Companies, totaled it in 2015. The mice had gotten up in the headliner and even in the door panels. The insurance company totaled the vehicle and called it a biohazard. (Salem, Oregon)
2013 HONDA CR-V - Every year for the past three years, mice (and maybe chipmunks) are getting under the insulation panel of my hood and munching on the washer fluid lines. (North Hampton, New Hampshire)
2013 HONDA Insight. - 29,400 miles .Rodents chewed through the wiring controlling shifting Caused the transmission to go out while the car was in motion. $200+ in damage.(Delran, New Jersey)
2013 HONDA Accord XLE coupe 26k miles; main wiring harness, left turn signal and fender lining destroyed by a wood rat. $2,000 in damages. (Hot Springs, Arkansas)
2012 HONDA Odyssey - needs a Knock Sensor Replacement and "Anti Rodent wiring harness". They said that they are no longer using the rodent tape and are now using a specialty anti rodent wiring harness. My first quote from the Honda dealership where I bought the vehicle was $550; (approx $50 for the sensor and harness and $500 for labor). I received a second opinion and they are saying that it will be $460 total ($50 for the sensor; $210 for the specialty wiring harness and $200 for labor).
2012 HONDA Odyssey - certified preowned bought in Sept 2015; Rodents chewed through wiring on ignition coil.
2012 HONDA Civic - 30k miles; Squirrel damage -July 2014 - 4 repairs for chewed up wiring, 1 repair for chewed gas line had to be towed and gas tank dropped for repair - April 2015 - Power steering failure (fluid loss). (Celina Ohio)
2012 HONDA Civic - rodents eating through engine wires on two occasions.
2011 HONDA Odyssey - Rodent damage to wiring harness between body and gas tank; $405 repair (LaPorte, Indiana)
2011 HONDA Accord - two incidents over $3,000 in combined damage.
2010 HONDA Pilot. $1200 in damage
2009 HONDA Odyssey - Wiring damage.
2009 HONDA Fit - Air conditioner coils had to be replaced at a cost of about $800, nine months later my air-conditioning again did not work. When I took it in they said that there was rodent damage. It will be another $600+ to replace the coils to the air-conditioner.
2009 HONDA Odyssey - Sensor wiring damage; $482.58 in repairs.
2009 HONDA Accord - Emission valve to the gas tank, requiring tank replacement - total damage $2,800.
2007 HONDA Ridgeline - At 60,000 miles rodents eaten wires and it costed $800 at the dealer. (Florida)
ACURA

2012 Acura TSX - purchased new in March 2013; A squirrel destroyed the wiring harness in April 2014 when the vehicle had 6,000 miles on it in Kentucky
Total charges exceeded $1,400 which was not covered by warranty.
2011 Acura MDX Rodent damage - chewed through my windshield washer fluid line and chewed the black plastic corrugated covering that houses electrical wiring in the motor cavity.(Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada)
1990 ACURA Legend
GM

BUICK

2014 BUICK Encore @ 16,000 km Warranty check discovered cabin air filter has a "nasty mouse nest" and evidence in engine air filter. Fix $54 at my cost. (Fort Qu' Appelle, Sask, Canada).
CADILLAC

2012 Cadillac - fuel system damage requiring fuel tank replacement, repair bill was $2,523 (Kentucky)
2008 Cadillac XLR-V disabled by rodents $1,000 to repair (Phoenix, Arizona)
HUMMER

2008 Hummer H3 disabled by rodents, wiring damage $1,200 to repair (Phoenix, Arizona)
GMC

2016 GMC Terrain - had wire exposed and all chewed up by rodents. My cost was $322, and of course this was one thing not covered by warranty. (Michigan)
2014 GMC 1/2 ton Truck So far it's been the 5/16 inch hoses connected to radiator overflow reservoir and the foam rubber that covers pipes on top of the engine. (Osoyoos, BC CANADA)
2003 GMC Safari - rodent damage to 9 wires in 4 different wiring harnesses including the covering of the negative battery terminal wire. I repaired it all myself but I am sure it would have cost a bundle at a dealer. (Brooksville, Florida)
2011 GMC Sierra - always outside, impossible to keep the squirrels away, huge damage until the electric fence was built, minor damage since using the fence, although squirrels will sometimes suffer the shock to get to the truck. Twice had squirrels that would not leave (once by the transmission and once by the gas tank) even when I was banging on the bodywork and shaking the truck. Air bags fired but did not deploy when a deer ran in front of the truck and was struck.

1999 GMC Savana van - spark plug wires were eaten probably more for access to the top of the warm motor, than for food.(Discovery Bay, California)
Chevrolet

2017 Chevrolet Cruze - Car was two months old when check engine light went on and I got notice from On-Star to take car over to dealer within 24 hours. I was told I had mice that chewed through the wires and that was not covered under warranty. I was furious as my old car that I adored (2000 Chevrolet Cavalier) never had a problem and was parked in the same driveway. After they fixed the damage and charged $276.84, I discovered they had NOT replaced the wire but simply put electrical tape over the damage. (Cleveland, Ohio)
2016 Chevy Colorado Rat chewed through seat belt wiring for warning chime, weather tech floomats, stock carpet mats, tire iron tool kit case, chewed hole through cab pressure vents, made a nest is insulation behind back cab back plate. $575 (Austin Texas)
2016 Chevy Equinox LT.-squirrels had dragged a bag of peanuts into the fan motor box and there was the bag, peanuts and pieces of the plastic motor box inside it. Insurance took care of the damage and the car rental but I lost my new car for a month. The insurance was $1600 to repair and sanitize the car and $1100 for the replacement car rental. I had to pay $200 for the deductible. (Ste. Anne, Manitoba, Canada)
2013 Chevy Sonic "In the short time we have owned the car, it has been to the dealer THREE times and will be going in for a fourth time this week! All due to wires being eaten by rabbits and mice!" (Riverton, Wyoming)
2013 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 Wiring harness under the car eaten by rodents causing $715.00 damage. Car was only parked on grass for 3 hours. When I park on concrete, there does not appear to be a problem.. (Auburn Hills, Michigan )
2012 Chevrolet Equinox Wiring harness to Heater and A/C. Had bad smell and loud clunking noise when heater was turned on. $292 repair not covered by warranty.
2009 Chevy Aveo - always outside, can't keep the squirrels away, regularly use every deterrent commercially available, significant damage twice, had to be towed to be fixed. Eat the wire insulation, foam covers over hoses, and firewall insulation.
2001 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 - I did all the repairs myself but if repaired at a shop it would have required that all of the wiring harnesses that attach to the under hood fuse box would have been replaced). (Waller, Texas)
TESLA

TESLA

2014 TESLA Model S - $12,750 electrical wiring damage. (Belgium)
2009 TESLA Roadster - $10,000 electrical wiring damage.
VOLVO

VOLVO

2015 Volvo S60 It has been in the shop 3 times due to rodent issues. First time the dealership paid for the repair, second time was $3,300 and third time was $5,300. The last repair, I purchased the Honda rodent tape and the service department wrapped my wiring. (Santa Monica, California)
2010 Volvo cx90 2/6/2016 I tried to start my car and couldn't, had to tow it to Volvo dealer in Sarasota Florida. They found that rats had eaten wiring. They rewired it and it happened again on 2/11/2016. $883 for the first repair.
2008 VOLVO cross country - has been damaged twice in a one month over $1000 in damages.(North Haven, CT) [image1] [image2]
VOLKSWAGEN

VW

2016 VW Jetta - damaged by rabbits 2 weeks after purchase in 2015
2001 VW Beetle - found a rodent nest in the dashboard and had to replace damaged wires.
PORSCHE

2011 PORSCHE Boxer - $22,000 damage caused ! Vehicle had to be towed into Porsche centre for repairs and it took months before repairs were completed (parts had to come from Germany). Rats ate through EVERY wire in wire harness, motor wires, coolant and petrol hoses, oil hoses which was surprising because I have read that rats don't like petroleum. (Menangle, NSW, Australia)
1983 PORSCHE 928S - total loss, damaged while vehicle was in Self-Storage Unit.(Long Beach, California)

johnboy
09-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Man, that's gotta be the Thump post of all Thump posts! :toothy

Captain
09-19-2017, 03:29 PM
50 words or less would kill him....

Arty
09-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Ha! He doesn't need a garage, all he needs is a yard cat! Yeah, I've heard there's a class action lawsuit against a few auto makers for the wiring. Frankly, it's nothing new. I couldn't tell you how many cars I saw come through the shop for rodent eaten wiring while I was in the car biz. Rats and squirrels were the main culprits. Heck, I started in the business in the mid-60's and it was prevalent then, who knows how many decades it's been a problem? BUT ... you can thank the environmentalists and the Green Movement for amplifying the problem in recent years. They want "organic" and "bio-degradable" products, then bitch when those products cause problems. FYI, most ALL automakers have problems with rodents gnawing on wiring ... but the class action suits always start with the largest producers ... Toyota is one of them.

Here is partial list of cars that have been recently damaged by rodent attacks:

NISSAN

NISSAN

2015 Nissan Versa - wires chewed the repair cost was around $2200. (Crowley, TX)
2015 Nissan Altima - wires chewed the repair cost was $700. (Nowata, Oklahoma)
2014 Nissan Juke - Rodents chewed the insulation (which they used for nesting) as well as brake lines, transmission fluid tank, battery casing and entire center harnesses and wiring. I was informed this is over $5,000 worth of damage [image].(Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
BMW
WHAT THE FUCK THUMP?!?
BMW

2014 BMW i3REx - I took my car into the dealer after having trouble opening the charging flap on the car. I thought it was going to be a simple fix. I got a call from BMW that afternoon, that I had rodent infestation damage in my car and it was not going to be pretty. When I went down to BMW to look at the damage, there were wires eaten on every side of the car, in the front of the car, on the right and left sides of the car, and underneath the car. The insulation, which surrounds the brains of the car was eaten as well. I was told that part would cost an additional $2,000 to replace just in labor, plus an additonal $3,000 for replacing the entire rear harness as well as wires to the charging port on the right rear and a nest in the front of the car and things eaten there. I have been living here for over 14 years and I have never had any problems with rodent damage to my cars, ever, and neither has my roommate who also has a car. Both cars were parked in the same carport, no difference. (Tiburon, California)
2011 BMW 128i - estimate: $3,000 engine had to be pulled due to extensive damage.(Los Angeles, California)
2003 BMW 525i - material on the underside of hood has been gnawed away by one or more rodents. My car is garaged.(Seal Beach, California)
MAZDA

MAZDA

2015 MAZDA CX-5 - $97 worth of damage to the wiring (Springfield, MO)
2014 MAZDA 3 about $900 in wiring damage; 2 occurrences within 3 weeks on two different vehicles
(Seattle, Washington)
2008 MAZDA 3 pre-purchase used car evaluation turned out to have rodent damage. (Chandler, Arizona).
2008 MAZDA 3 discovered a nest under the hood and lots of gnawing on the firewall insulation. (Chandler, Arizona).
1996 MAZDA Miata - (North Haven, CT)
FCA

DODGE

2015 DODGE Ram 3/4 ton pickup Battery cover plus the firewall insulation is completely gone. (Placerville California) [image]
2014 DODGE Journey replaced wiring, an ABS module and a wheel sensor. Over $700 in damage. (Livingston, Montana)
2009 DODGE Ram 1500 - had the check engine light come on. The dealer said the emission control lines appeared to have been eaten by rodents. The vehicle is parked outside. The gas tank had to be dropped to replace the lines. The cost was over $300. The extended warranty would not cover it. (Holland, Ohio)
1998 DODGE Ram - always outside through 2010, suffered significant damage several times, had to be towed to get repaired.
JEEP

2016 JEEP Wrangler Anniversary Edition. SECOND time in a 2 month span. The first time the damage was $2000. [image1] [image2] [image3] [image4]
2014 JEEP Grand Cherokee - Two times damage from rats eating wiring.
2014 JEEP Grand Cherokee - $2,300 repair for rats eating engine wires and 2 sensors ( Showlow, Arizona)
2013 JEEP Wrangler Sport - 2,984 miles on vehicle. (Wichita Falls, Texas)
2014 JEEP Patriot Sport - 11,000 miles on vehicle. Ground squirrels chewed the wiring to horn, repaired by dealer for $150. (Roseville, California)
2014 JEEP Wrangler Sahara - First time the Damage done was $550.00 then 30 days later they did $5,500 worth of damage... (Harker Heights, Texas)
CHRYSLER

2007 Chrysler 300 - 60,000 miles; now three months at the Dealer and almost $4,000 in various repairs, and still isn't running! (Fort Lauderdale, Florida)
2012 Chrysler town and country - wiring harness had been ate by rodents..it was not covered by insurance it cost us $600 - Foresthill California
FORD

FORD

2016 FORD Escape - 4000 miles - Rodents chewed through the wires not once but twice . The first two times was over $450.00. Not covered by warranty.(Covington, Geogia)
2016 FORD Escape - Rodents chewed through not once but three times. The first two were in my car and the third time was in my rental car. The first two times was over $2,500 in damage.(Perrysburg, Ohio)
2016 FORD C Max energi - Within 30 days of purchase I had rodent damage and had to get it repaired. $626.00. It is now 1/4/17 and my car would not start and warning lights came on saying not to drive. It is on the way back to Ford dealer for assessment. I think damage is much worse this time. Damage happened at 2 separate locations. (Malibu, California)
2015 FORD Edge - 600 miles - Squirrels got in and chewed through wires next to the battery. $250.00 to replace. (San Marcos, Texas)
2016 FORD F250 Diesel - parked outside (as usual). I check under the hood monthly, one morning a check engine light, took it to Ford and they reported that the main wiring harness and several sensors, cooling hoses and the like were damaged. Portions of the harness were actually consumed, some cables just chewed on $1600 - covered by insurance minus deductible ($500) as part of comprehensive. My previous 2000 F350 lived outside for fifteen years and was never damaged this way.(Fort Collins, Colorado)
2015 FORD F-150 Pick-Up Wiring Damage $1,074. Truck is 6 weeks old and is thoroughly infested with mice droppings, nests, etc. Wires are chewed, sensors are damaged.
We live in the country and have an old, open garage.
We have lived here for 25 years and housed two F150 trucks (1997 and 2000) in addition to this new one. We also housed a GMC pickup in this building from 1990 to fall of 1997.
NO rodent problems AT ALL with any of the other vehicles. (Stoughton, Wisconsin)
2015 Ford Escape - 6000 miles. Squirrels chewed through windshield wiper fluid hoses and pump that cost $250.00. I then tried Critter Ridder granules after the repair only to find that they chewed on the wheel well insulation on the passenger side. Then they chewed the driver's side as well. I have lived in the same house since 1989 and always parked in this driveway. About 10 vehicles over the years between husband and kids including my 2001 F150 that I just let go in 2015. Never had a problem prior to the 2015 Ford Escape.(Austin, Texas)
2015 FORD Escape my Ford dealer told me that chipmunks were the reason my new Ford Escape stunk and the fan made a horrible clunking noise when I turned it on. $1000 (Riverhead, New York)
2014 FORD Escape - $946.00 of damage Wires, plastic reservoir for brake fluid (Blackwood, NJ)
2014 FORD Focus Electric - car has been at the shop for almost two months now. Over $3000 worth of damage and counting.(Seattle, Washington)
2013 FORD F-150 Pick-Up Wiring Damage (Raymond, Mississippi)
2013 Ford Focus electric - Car totally disabled by rodent chewing through double-insulated high voltage conductor. Harris Ford of Lynwood, WA, not covered under warranty; estimated cost -- $2800.
2010 Ford Escape Wiring harness damage two separate incidents. $800 each time. (Indianapolis, Indiana)
2010 Ford F-150 Rodents chewed through several wiring harnesses. Truck had to be towed to dealer. Damage $1500 [2/2017] (Azle, TX)
2010 through 2013 FORD vehicles made in USA with "soy" foam seats - 58 incidents.
LINCOLN

2016 MKC - windshield fluid line was chewed around $140.00 to repair (Detroit Michigan)
2016 MKX (2) - rodents chewed a hole in the tubing around the gas tank where the filler line comes in $300. Second incident: nest was found in the engine compartment along with chewed wires which will cost around $2000. (Bradenton, Florida)
JLR

JAGUAR

2012 Jaguar XF (S) rodent chewed a hole in the tubing around the gas tank where the filler line comes in to the tune of $400+ (Bradenton, Florida)
HYUNDAI-KIA

HYUNDAI

2015 HYUNDAI Genesis - rodent damage on 2 separate occasions. The first was $204 to repair. The second with a $4,650 repair estimate. They say the engine harness assy. control wiring and the wiring assy. front parking module need to be replaced. (Highlands Ranch Colorado)
2015 HYUNDAI Sonata Multiple damage occurences, including cabin air filter $100; A/C compressor wiring $500 in insurance deductible. 4 other vehicles of various makes parked at the same location were never attacked by rodents. My car appears to be the only one under attack.(Texarkana, AR)
2013 HYUNDAI Azera It started with mice getting the cabin air filter and then dying somewhere early on 2014. October 2015 they ate thru the electrical harness costing $2,846, November 2015 damage to coolant temp sensor $190, February 2016 ate thru the oxygen sensor for $250 and now they have eaten thru most of the electrical in the dash cost unknown at this time.(Paige, Texas)
2013 HYUNDAI Elantra (5) - 4,000 miles. Check engine light came on. A wire on the engine harness had been chewed through by some critter. They said it happens all the time because of the new wires they use. Repairs, not covered by warranty, are over $2,000.(Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania)
2013 HYUNDAI Sonata squirrel damage on 2 separate occasions approx. $1,200 spent on repairs ( Philadelphia, PA )
2012 HYUNDAI Accent The mice have just done $6300 in damage to car engine's wiring. My car was also attacked a few months ago, but then we caught the damage early, costing only $180. I live in the city and park on the street along with all of my neighbors. I find it very interesting that my car appears to be the only one under attack.(St. Louis, MO)
2006 HYUNDAI Santa Fe SUV - @ 52,000 miles damage done by squirrels approx $950 for the first repair, $1,700 for the second repair. [image1] (Philadelphia, PA)
2003 HYUNDAI Santa Fe SUV - Engine air filter, cabin air filter, mice eating interior roof material, dead mouse in gas tank . That last fix was $700.00. Replaced filters numerous times due to nests. (Fort Qu' Appelle, Sask, Canada)
2001 HYUNDAI Elantra - mice set up camp inside of the Glove Box - three separate incidents. No damage to wiring or any other components. (Las Vegas, Nevada)
KIA

2011 KIA Sorento - sent to the shop for the 2nd time the sensor light came on and it was taken to the garage where we were told that rodents ate up the wires in the harness. We were quoted $4000.00 to replace the harness and wiring but instead we told the garage to fix the couple of wires that messed up costing us over $262.00 and spending 3 days in the garage.
2011 KIA Sportage - wiring harness was attacked inside of garage - about $4000 in damages initially, second attack occurred two months latter when parked outside. (Ohio)
2014 KIA Soul - wire harness was eaten by rats Estimated cost $5,000 - purchased new KIA instead. (Phoenix, Arizona)
2016 KIA Sportage - ABS and traction control wiring Cost $350. ABS and traction control wiring again. Cost $140.(Phoenix, Arizona)
2017 Kia Cadenza (Premium version with Technology pkg) - rat getting in my rear bumper and eating the wires. The cost for repair is just under $400, as rodent damage isn't included in what I thought to be an exhaustive 60k bumper to bumper warranty.(Atlanta, Georgia)
DAIMLER

Mercedes-Benz

2015 Mercedes-Benz ML 250 - wiring harness destroyed by a colony of mice, estimated to be in the range of $15,000 to $20,000 but Mercedes has said they need at least 15 weeks to make the harness.
2012 Mercedes-Benz ML 350 4Matic
2009 Mercedes-Benz GL 320 Bluetec car harness wires were chew by a rodent. (Mt. Vernon, New York)
1997 Mercedes-Benz S600 sedan
FUJI

SUBARU

2017 SUBARU Outback...it has been in the dealership service department for a week due to rat damage. The cost so far is $1650. (Denton, Texas)
2015 SUBARU cross trek had a chipmonk living in the engine hood liner and mice were living in the interior of the car leaving a very bad smell.(San Diego, California)
2014 SUBARU Forester - Vehicle burned down - complete loss - only 7,000 miles, rodent damage to fuel lines suspected, as vehicle has been damaged two times before the final inferno. (New Jersey)
2013 SUBARU Outback - Rodents chewed through the transmission harness wiring and it cost me $450.00 to repair in addition to a rental car for 3 days while the Subaru service department ordered, received and finally replaced the wiring. It was not covered under warranty and they would not give me a loaner car. (Des Moines, Iowa)
2013 SUBARU Outback - transmission sensor wire was chewed through. (Atlanta , Georgia)
2013 SUBARU Outback - The mice chewed out both fuel lines and did the telltale damage under the hood to the battery cap, reservoirs, and some hoses, about $2300 in damages. (Blaine, Washington)
2013 SUBARU Outback - The damage is in excess of $3,000
(Little Rock, Arkansas) [image1] [image2]
2010 through 2013 SUBARU - over 215 incidents - apparently a very tasty cars.
2009 SUBARU Legacy - 85,000 miles. The dealership charged $250 to put electrical tape on the rodent damaged wires. (Oakmont, PA)
2006 SUBARU Outback - had its wires chewed and fixing them cost $800 (San Diego, California)
TOYOTA

TOYOTA

2016 TOYOTA Tundra (5) - (9,000 miles) Attacked by rabbits over the space of 4 days in early April 2017, eating my 4WD actuator wire underneath the truck. $2,109.42 in repairs
Even with a PLATINUM maintenance plan in place, Toyota has refused to cover the damage.
2016 TOYOTA Tundra - Over $6000 in damage on a truck I have had since April that has less than 2,800 miles on it that has over both instances has been at the dealer a total of a month and a half! (Dudley, Massachusetts)
2016 TOYOTA Tundra - (Charlotte NC)
2016 TOYOTA 4runner. - 12600 miles. I have had it about a month and put less than 1,000 miles on it. I parked it in my carport. I went to get into the vehicle and leave for work. It would not run correct. Had it towed to the dealer. Apparently a rodent chewed the master wiring harness. Damaged it in 2 places. $3500-$5500 in repairs. I have two warranties on the vehicle through Toyota and they will not fix it.(Corvallis, Oregon)
2016 TOYOTA Camry - only 137 miles since new, wires to oxygen sensor chewed, dealer did not have the parts, had to take it to independent mechanic to have temporary fix. (New York City)
2015 TOYOTA RAV4 - Rodents caused $5,500 in damage, which the dealership refused to fix under her warranty, so the owner filed class action suit. (Clermont, Florida)
[Link to Details]
2015 TOYOTA Tundra - A rodent chewed through the fuel vapor management hose which is an integral part of the gas tank. It cost $1,361 to replace the fuel tank.(Damascus, Maryland)
2015 TOYOTA Prius-C - Washer hoses, expense was $171.00. (Bellingham, WA)
2015 TOYOTA Tacoma Rodent damage causing $2,700 in damage wires chewed, they need to remove the whole top half of engine, to get too nest.(Middletown New York)
2015 TOYOTA Sequoia with 11K miles on it - estimating $5,000 in damage. (Springfield, MA)
2015 Toyota Camry - wiring tastier than the peanut butter I put on the traps in the garage. Cost of repair was $167 for labor to splice the wires to headlight.(Rock Hill, South Carolina)
2015 TOYOTA Tundra - (Charlotte NC)
2015 TOYOTA Highlander - Wire harness damage - $350 (Brookline MA)
2015 TOYOTA Prius - The emergency dash lights would not go off. I was told a rat had chewed through the wires near the spare tire to the tune of $300.00.
Was told by dealership it was not covered under warranty and there is no way to prevent rodents from entering the car. (Sarasota, Florida)
2015 TOYOTA Prius V - second rat attack. The first attack repair cost: $8404.93 and the second attack-a month later-cost was $8606.59. Over $17K in repairs and still they are putting the same wiring back in the car. (Phoenix, Arizona)
See the video link #2 for TV News Story about this incident.
2015 TOYOTA 4Runner - One injector wire connector had been chewed completely through $240. 4 days later, more chewed wires $600. (Kansas)
2014 TOYOTA 4Runner - main engine harness costing $5500 in damage.
[image]
2014 TOYOTA Corolla - over $4,000 in wiring damage, while repair was covered by Insurance, owner still had to pay $500 deductible. (Brooksville, Florida)
2013 TOYOTA Camry - only 100 miles since new !
2013 TOYOTA Venza Ltd - bought new 6 weeks ago, extensive under hood damage.
2012 TOYOTA Camry - only 4 weeks old ! (Santa Monica, California)
2011 TOYOTA Camry Hybrid - $4000 to replace elecrtical wiring - to be followed by the same damage a month month later.
2011 TOYOTA 4Runner - Attacked by squirrels several times over $4,000 in damages. (Maryland)
2011 TOYOTA Camry SEV6 - THREE times rats have chewed up wiring harness. Over $500 each time to replace the wiring. (Valencia, California)
2011 TOYOTA 4 Runner - Totaled over the course of a weekend, while it sat in owner's garage, all due to rodents chewing it up.
2010 TOYOTA Yaris - mice ate insulation abs brake lines and 2 car computers and destroyed 2 heater fans probably about 5k damages... (Hico, Texas)
2010 TOYOTA Camry - had the main wiring harness eaten and devoured 4 times in less than a year! At a cost of $1,100-1,500 a pop, and a $500 insurance deductible. (Hico, Texas)
2010 TOYOTA Venza - mice caused $2,800 in damages.
2010 TOYOTA RAV4 - wiring damage. (Plano, Texas)
2009 TOYOTA Highlander - Mice have chewed on floor mats and have eaten the air filter. (Madisonville, Louisiana)
2009 TOYOTA RAV4 - Multiple parts including the passenger air bag. Repair costs: $10,257.91
2009 TOYOTA Camry - A squirrel destroyed wiring harness. Over $500 to replace the wiring. (Valencia, California)
2009 TOYOTA Tundra (Charlotte NC)
2007 TOYOTA Highlander - wiring harness. $3600 parts and labor. Covered by comprehensive part of insurance. (Columbus, Ohio).
2007 TOYOTA 4Runner - mice had somehow got into the cabin and took stuffing out of the seats and made a nest in the glove box.(Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada)
2005 TOYOTA 4Runner The little buggers chewed through a coolant hose causing the engine to overheat and the head gasket failed. Cost to repair was $4668.14. Then I got it back, drove it home and parked it in the driveway and the rodents attacked again that same night and chewed the same hose. The next morning I drove it for 9.3 miles and the head gasket failed again. So in less than 24 hours the rodents cost almost another $5000 of damage plus an $89.79 tow. So the total damage was $9426.07. (Redmond, Washington)
2001 TOYOTA Avalon - $1,820 to have 2 Knock Sensors and Harness replaced (Williamsburg, Virginia)
SCION

2014 SCION tC about $500 in Rat damage to wiring system.
(Odessa, Texas)
LEXUS

2015 LEXUS RX 350 - 2 incidents of mice and squirrel damage slightly more than $10,000 worth of damage. The prior year $1700 (East Hampton, New York)
2012 LEXUS GX 460 - 3 incidents of rodent damage since with a total of almost $2000 in bills. (Edmond, Oklahoma)
2011 LEXUS RX 350 - damage by a rodent chewing on the fuel injector wire. $410.63.
2010 LEXUS ES350 - mouse house sitting on the cabin air filter. No other damage was noticed other than replacing the air filter. (Springfield, MA)
2010 LEXUS ES 350 -The wiring harness and Part of insulation of the engine covering. cost (estimate) between $300-$400. (Grand Prairie, Texas)
2009 LEXUS LS-460 had considerable rodent-caused wiring damage after I was gone for three weeks vacation and left my car in my garage for that time. When I tried to start it on return from vacation it would not even turn over. I called AAA and they diagnosed the problem as rodent damage to the wiring. I had the car towed to the Lexus dealership and they repaired the damaged wiring with a bill of almost $2,000. Luckily, my car insurance (USAA) covered the damage repair bill (less $250 deductible).(Westminster, California)
2008 Lexus ES 350 - Falsely triggered traction control and engine coolant temperature sensor warnings due to wiring damage that was $500 to fix. It also was not the first time I had a rat problem with the car- shortly after getting it a year ago, a mechanic discovered a rat's nest in the engine bay on top of the spark plug wiring. [image] (Brooklyn, New York)
2006 LEXUS RX330 - mice set up camp on top of the "cabin air filter" which, is located inside of the vehicle - two incidents, however only requiring the air filter replacement. (Las Vegas, Nevada)
2006 LEXUS LS430 - rodents did $7,342 of damage. The bumper, radiator, and engine had to be removed in order to replace the ($4,454) wiring harness because the harness is inaccessibly sandwiched between the engine and the firewall! (Los Altos, California)
HONDA

HONDA

2016 HONDA Fit Noticed mice damage a few months after I bought my car, November 2015. (Santa Rosa, California)
2016 HONDA Accord (lease) Rodents chewed gas tank and fuel lines. So far Honda's repair bill is $1,500.00. (Marlton, New Jersey)
2016 HONDA Accord (lease) $2,000.00 first incident within 6 weeks of delivery, repeat incident within 1 week after repairs, another $2K. (Waukesha, Wisconsin)
2014 HONDA CR-V (2) - $5200 worth of damage to plastic, wiring, harnesses, carpet and plastic interior. The same night I brought it home from repairs, the rats started chewing on some of the plastic coverings under the hood. (Roseburg, Oregon)
2013 Honda Pilot - My insurance company, Country Companies, totaled it in 2015. The mice had gotten up in the headliner and even in the door panels. The insurance company totaled the vehicle and called it a biohazard. (Salem, Oregon)
2013 HONDA CR-V - Every year for the past three years, mice (and maybe chipmunks) are getting under the insulation panel of my hood and munching on the washer fluid lines. (North Hampton, New Hampshire)
2013 HONDA Insight. - 29,400 miles .Rodents chewed through the wiring controlling shifting Caused the transmission to go out while the car was in motion. $200+ in damage.(Delran, New Jersey)
2013 HONDA Accord XLE coupe 26k miles; main wiring harness, left turn signal and fender lining destroyed by a wood rat. $2,000 in damages. (Hot Springs, Arkansas)
2012 HONDA Odyssey - needs a Knock Sensor Replacement and "Anti Rodent wiring harness". They said that they are no longer using the rodent tape and are now using a specialty anti rodent wiring harness. My first quote from the Honda dealership where I bought the vehicle was $550; (approx $50 for the sensor and harness and $500 for labor). I received a second opinion and they are saying that it will be $460 total ($50 for the sensor; $210 for the specialty wiring harness and $200 for labor).
2012 HONDA Odyssey - certified preowned bought in Sept 2015; Rodents chewed through wiring on ignition coil.
2012 HONDA Civic - 30k miles; Squirrel damage -July 2014 - 4 repairs for chewed up wiring, 1 repair for chewed gas line had to be towed and gas tank dropped for repair - April 2015 - Power steering failure (fluid loss). (Celina Ohio)
2012 HONDA Civic - rodents eating through engine wires on two occasions.
2011 HONDA Odyssey - Rodent damage to wiring harness between body and gas tank; $405 repair (LaPorte, Indiana)
2011 HONDA Accord - two incidents over $3,000 in combined damage.
2010 HONDA Pilot. $1200 in damage
2009 HONDA Odyssey - Wiring damage.
2009 HONDA Fit - Air conditioner coils had to be replaced at a cost of about $800, nine months later my air-conditioning again did not work. When I took it in they said that there was rodent damage. It will be another $600+ to replace the coils to the air-conditioner.
2009 HONDA Odyssey - Sensor wiring damage; $482.58 in repairs.
2009 HONDA Accord - Emission valve to the gas tank, requiring tank replacement - total damage $2,800.
2007 HONDA Ridgeline - At 60,000 miles rodents eaten wires and it costed $800 at the dealer. (Florida)
ACURA

2012 Acura TSX - purchased new in March 2013; A squirrel destroyed the wiring harness in April 2014 when the vehicle had 6,000 miles on it in Kentucky
Total charges exceeded $1,400 which was not covered by warranty.
2011 Acura MDX Rodent damage - chewed through my windshield washer fluid line and chewed the black plastic corrugated covering that houses electrical wiring in the motor cavity.(Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada)
1990 ACURA Legend
GM

BUICK

2014 BUICK Encore @ 16,000 km Warranty check discovered cabin air filter has a "nasty mouse nest" and evidence in engine air filter. Fix $54 at my cost. (Fort Qu' Appelle, Sask, Canada).
CADILLAC

2012 Cadillac - fuel system damage requiring fuel tank replacement, repair bill was $2,523 (Kentucky)
2008 Cadillac XLR-V disabled by rodents $1,000 to repair (Phoenix, Arizona)
HUMMER

2008 Hummer H3 disabled by rodents, wiring damage $1,200 to repair (Phoenix, Arizona)
GMC

2016 GMC Terrain - had wire exposed and all chewed up by rodents. My cost was $322, and of course this was one thing not covered by warranty. (Michigan)
2014 GMC 1/2 ton Truck So far it's been the 5/16 inch hoses connected to radiator overflow reservoir and the foam rubber that covers pipes on top of the engine. (Osoyoos, BC CANADA)
2003 GMC Safari - rodent damage to 9 wires in 4 different wiring harnesses including the covering of the negative battery terminal wire. I repaired it all myself but I am sure it would have cost a bundle at a dealer. (Brooksville, Florida)
2011 GMC Sierra - always outside, impossible to keep the squirrels away, huge damage until the electric fence was built, minor damage since using the fence, although squirrels will sometimes suffer the shock to get to the truck. Twice had squirrels that would not leave (once by the transmission and once by the gas tank) even when I was banging on the bodywork and shaking the truck. Air bags fired but did not deploy when a deer ran in front of the truck and was struck.

1999 GMC Savana van - spark plug wires were eaten probably more for access to the top of the warm motor, than for food.(Discovery Bay, California)
Chevrolet

2017 Chevrolet Cruze - Car was two months old when check engine light went on and I got notice from On-Star to take car over to dealer within 24 hours. I was told I had mice that chewed through the wires and that was not covered under warranty. I was furious as my old car that I adored (2000 Chevrolet Cavalier) never had a problem and was parked in the same driveway. After they fixed the damage and charged $276.84, I discovered they had NOT replaced the wire but simply put electrical tape over the damage. (Cleveland, Ohio)
2016 Chevy Colorado Rat chewed through seat belt wiring for warning chime, weather tech floomats, stock carpet mats, tire iron tool kit case, chewed hole through cab pressure vents, made a nest is insulation behind back cab back plate. $575 (Austin Texas)
2016 Chevy Equinox LT.-squirrels had dragged a bag of peanuts into the fan motor box and there was the bag, peanuts and pieces of the plastic motor box inside it. Insurance took care of the damage and the car rental but I lost my new car for a month. The insurance was $1600 to repair and sanitize the car and $1100 for the replacement car rental. I had to pay $200 for the deductible. (Ste. Anne, Manitoba, Canada)
2013 Chevy Sonic "In the short time we have owned the car, it has been to the dealer THREE times and will be going in for a fourth time this week! All due to wires being eaten by rabbits and mice!" (Riverton, Wyoming)
2013 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 Wiring harness under the car eaten by rodents causing $715.00 damage. Car was only parked on grass for 3 hours. When I park on concrete, there does not appear to be a problem.. (Auburn Hills, Michigan )
2012 Chevrolet Equinox Wiring harness to Heater and A/C. Had bad smell and loud clunking noise when heater was turned on. $292 repair not covered by warranty.
2009 Chevy Aveo - always outside, can't keep the squirrels away, regularly use every deterrent commercially available, significant damage twice, had to be towed to be fixed. Eat the wire insulation, foam covers over hoses, and firewall insulation.
2001 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 - I did all the repairs myself but if repaired at a shop it would have required that all of the wiring harnesses that attach to the under hood fuse box would have been replaced). (Waller, Texas)
TESLA

TESLA

2014 TESLA Model S - $12,750 electrical wiring damage. (Belgium)
2009 TESLA Roadster - $10,000 electrical wiring damage.
VOLVO

VOLVO

2015 Volvo S60 It has been in the shop 3 times due to rodent issues. First time the dealership paid for the repair, second time was $3,300 and third time was $5,300. The last repair, I purchased the Honda rodent tape and the service department wrapped my wiring. (Santa Monica, California)
2010 Volvo cx90 2/6/2016 I tried to start my car and couldn't, had to tow it to Volvo dealer in Sarasota Florida. They found that rats had eaten wiring. They rewired it and it happened again on 2/11/2016. $883 for the first repair.
2008 VOLVO cross country - has been damaged twice in a one month over $1000 in damages.(North Haven, CT) [image1] [image2]
VOLKSWAGEN

VW

2016 VW Jetta - damaged by rabbits 2 weeks after purchase in 2015
2001 VW Beetle - found a rodent nest in the dashboard and had to replace damaged wires.
PORSCHE

2011 PORSCHE Boxer - $22,000 damage caused ! Vehicle had to be towed into Porsche centre for repairs and it took months before repairs were completed (parts had to come from Germany). Rats ate through EVERY wire in wire harness, motor wires, coolant and petrol hoses, oil hoses which was surprising because I have read that rats don't like petroleum. (Menangle, NSW, Australia)
1983 PORSCHE 928S - total loss, damaged while vehicle was in Self-Storage Unit.(Long Beach, California)

Can you find it?

BarryBobPosthole
09-19-2017, 05:14 PM
For fucks sake. Cows been earing truck and tractor lights for since they started makng them. Rodents been eating insulation for years. Ask the local fire chief.

Environmentalists, bless their hearts, ain't got fuck all to do with it.

Geeze.

BKb

Thumper
09-19-2017, 06:32 PM
For fucks sake. Cows been earing truck and tractor lights for since they started makng them. Rodents been eating insulation for years. Ask the local fire chief.

Environmentalists, bless their hearts, ain't got fuck all to do with it.

Geeze. BKb

Dufus, the environmentalist comment was for the "Go Green" movement, the reason soy based insulation was developed. FYI, I also mentioned the fact varmints have been chewing the insulation off vehicle wiring as far back as I can remember. It's nothing new.