PDA

View Full Version : Strange Modern Times

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2017, 10:20 PM
Watching CNN and on comes a commercial for Qatar. Not a business in Qatar, the country. Exhorting that the blockade be lifted.

Color me astounded that countries are now advertisng. Its strange enough to see issues ads in a non-campaign season.
BKB

LJ3
09-18-2017, 10:27 PM
They've been doing it on our morning drive news radio station for a while now. Took me a while of "half listening" to finalize realize what it was. Strange, indeed.

Penguin
09-19-2017, 08:00 AM
Strange indeed.

And those weird commercials are the least of it. Some of the things that pass for sophisticated and cutting edge look positively deranged to me. But you are right, the commercialization and public relations sphere is out of control.

Will

Thumper
09-19-2017, 11:42 AM
TBH, I haven't seen/heard the ads. Most likely because I don't listen to the radio and I VERY seldom watch network television. So, considering all that, not knowing what the ad actually says, my opinion may be off-base here. As for "countries" advertising, I have no clue what's so unbelievable about that as it's nothing new. Heck, the U.S. government spends tens of billions of $$$/year on (tourism) advertising. Ditto for individual states, but on a lesser scale. The blockade for Qutar, is costing the country huge amounts of money. I did a quick search and found this on the net:

A recent analyst note from geopolitical analysts Eurasia Group, stated, “The crisis will undermine the Qatari economy, increase inflation, raise the risk of a credit ratings downgrade, curtail regional banking activity, and damage Qatar Airways’ commercial prospects.”

It's in the country's best interest to try gaining support for lifting the blockade and to promote tourism, which is also a huge industry for Qutar. As for Qatar Airways, it's putting a major strain on their business. I've flown Qatar and it's not only an excellent airline, it's one of the best I've ever flown. (It's state owned btw, so Qatar has a vested interest in the airline's success) With the blockade, the neighboring countries have also banned Qatar Airways from their airspace, so longer routes and flight times are necessary which also raises costs, not to mention lost passenger revenue.

I'm not defending Qatar here, just trying to explain why I don't see their advertising as such an odd thing.

BarryBobPosthole
09-19-2017, 11:55 AM
I really don't know much at all abput qatar or its issues. I do know I haven't seen countries advertising on American television regarding their political interests.

Its not right or wrong, I just find it strange. Its like Columbia hiring Mrs Olsen to promote their anti FARC campaign or Juan Valdez to promote NAFTA.

bKB

Thumper
09-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Again, I haven't seen or heard the ad, but countries pushing an issue such as the Qatar blockade usually target their advertising to the beltway area, where they could possibly gain notice from the concentration of politicians in the country. A political ad will normally not be broadcast countrywide as there's really no point in reaching out to Joe Blow in Sheboygan ... unless it's tied to tourism. Possibly the Okie station you were watching has political leanings, such as "Meet the Press", etc? I don't know, just trowing in my 2-cents.

BarryBobPosthole
09-19-2017, 12:12 PM
I actually caught it on a CNN news program during prime time. I don't know if they aired it on any other networks. Once on a while they screw up and put something on out here in flyover country that normally the coasties only get.

BKB

Thumper
09-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Coincidently, I turned on FOX News as I ate lunch, and saw that commercial twice in just the time I was watching. They're pushing the website lifttheblockade.com

BarryBobPosthole
09-20-2017, 03:57 PM
Coastie!

BKB