PDA

View Full Version : What'd you say your name was?.....

Big Muddy
01-15-2013, 09:57 AM

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2013, 10:00 AM
that's quite a handle ain't it?
BKB

Thumper
01-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Her family calls her "Nessie" ... but her friends call her "Clit". ;)

Big Muddy
01-15-2013, 10:08 AM
....but her friends call her "Clit". ;)

Day'um it, Thump.....I just spewed my coffee!!! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2013, 10:14 AM
That's 'Clyt' I think.

BKB

Thumper
01-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Party-pooper! I guess, in that case, the family calls her "Nestra". Sheeesh! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Used to be a lady we bought beer from over 'across the tracks' when we were minors. I think her name was something complicated and was shortened to 'Cee'. So we called her place Cee's. It was just a house with a neon 'COORS' sign in the front room window. I'll betcha that's this lady's nickname too.

BKB

LJ3
01-15-2013, 11:11 AM
If it's spelled "Clyt", she must be canuckian.

Thumper
01-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Used to be a lady we bought beer from over 'across the tracks' when we were minors. I think her name was something complicated and was shortened to 'Cee'. So we called her place Cee's. It was just a house with a neon 'COORS' sign in the front room window. I'll betcha that's this lady's nickname too.

BKB

On a similar note ... we had the same type deal when I lived in Vicksburg, Mississippi. The legal age for beer was 18, but selling beer to us underaged kids was done rather openly. I remember we had a drive-in type burger joint right on the river with "car-hops" and they'd bring a burger, fries and a beer right to the car window! (usually followed by many more beers!) BUT ... we could sit there and look across the river into Louisiana where the drinking age for hard liquor was 18! There was a little shack just as you crossed the bridge into Louisiana that just had the word "Liquor" painted across the front with a brush! I can't remember the guy's name, but his initials were P.J, and he had NO problem selling to us 15-16 yr. old h/s kids! It was not at all unusual to hear someone holler, "Let's head over to Uncle P.J.'s" on a Friday or Saturday night! Or, "I'm headed over to visit Uncle P.J.... ya'll want anything?"

I remember if we ever got stopped driving with booze in the car, the cop would simply make us pour it out on the street, then tell us to go home. Heck, I was driving without a license when I was 14 and had a job at the Pontiac/Cadillac dealer in Vicksburg (Lamar T. Loe Motor Company) delivering new cars or picking up/delivering customer's cars for service! (part-time during the school year and full-time during the summer). I remember getting stopped once in a "license check-point" and nailed for driving without a license. I took off on my lunch hour and DROVE over to the JP's house (Judge Lucy Dillon, never will forget her) to pay my fine. She fined me for driving without a license ... $14 for the fine and an additional $14 to go toward the Mississippi Driver's Education Fund! I paid my $28 fine, then walked out to her driveway, got in my car and DROVE back to work!!!

It sure seems like a much more innocent time back then. :(

Big Muddy
01-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Thump, it wouldn't surprise me if that shack you're talking about is prolly still there....the little town of Delta, LA is at the west end of the old river bridge, and has not changed much in the past 40 years.....we drive thru there, ocassionally, and it's still a pretty rural area....the old bridge was abandoned and demolished several years ago.

And, the Lamar Loe dealership, you mentioned, changed hands several times over the years....pretty sure it's called George Carr Buick/Cadillac, now.

Thumper
01-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Eddie, when I was there, I don't remember ANYTHING on the other side of the bridge except Uncle P.J's place. I think his sole purpose for being there was to sell liquor to the kids from Mississippi. I'm sure the area would have had to have expanded a little bit since that time.

As for Lamar Loe ... I was there when he had the old dealership downtown ... just a hole in the wall. They put the by-pass around Vicksburg and built a big shopping mall on the by-pass. I think it was called "Battle Field Mall" if I remember correctly. (it was right across from the National "Battlefield" Park). Lamar built a big new dealership at the mall. (I used to give service customers a ride to the mall in a golf cart, then pick them up when their car was ready). Lamar's wife (Georgia Loe) had a dress shop in the mall. After I moved to Memphis, I heard Lamar and Georgia got divorced and I think it was around that time the dealership changed hands (maybe part of the divorce settlement???).

Actually, at that time, we carried Cadillac, Pontiac, Buick and GMC Trucks. He had a huge truck shop in the back that ran 24/7 and handled 18-wheelers (well, the tractors anyway). We also took on the Opal line while I was there.

Chicken Dinner
01-15-2013, 01:37 PM
We had this place we all called "Bodega's" we used to buy beer from before we even had licenses to drive. Only in later years did I learn that was Spanish for store and not somebody's name. I tell you, we poor subruban white boys had tough time growing up on the mean streets of Arlington back in the day.

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
There is an Oklahoma town on the west side of the Arkansas River bridge on highway 64 near Fort Smith that is similar to what you're talking about Thump and Eddie. Moffet, Oklahoma. That side of Arkansas is dry, or at least used to be, and there were two things Moffet was known for: Beer joints you could get your head peeled in and one of the damn finest salvage yards I've ever seen to this day. I think I bought at least three trannys (the ones with real shifters not strap on ones) from them and lord knows what else. Getting in and out of town was kind of creepy and I'm not normally sensitive to that stuff. Lots of gypsy folk lived over that way too. Still do.

BKB

Thumper
01-15-2013, 02:00 PM
One coinky-dink ... when I lived in Vicksburg, it bordered Louisiana which had a hard liquor drinking age of 18 ... we'd go there for liquor even though we were underaged.

When I moved to Memphis, the drinking age was 21, BUT ... Memphis borders Mississippi so we'd go there to buy beer!

Once I got to college, it was in a dry county but there was a big bar in town where ALL us underaged college kids hung out and drank freely. The place was in Martin Tennessee and called "Cadillac's", BUT ... it's "official" name was "Martin Recreation Center"! Many students cashed checks from mom and dad there and that's how they'd be marked. I always wondered how he operated in a "dry" university town and never got harrassed by the law. One thing I did notice though .. although he was "closed" on Sunday's ... there were always a slew of police cars parked behind the bar EVERY Sunday.

'Course, by that time, I had fake ID's and would run up (straight 10 mile stretch) to the Kentucky State line to buy liquor and bring it back to the school. I was well known in those days as the local "boot-legger"! Hey ... it earned me beer and gas money ... what more could a struggling college student ask for? ;)