PDA

View Full Version : So sorry...

Bwana
09-21-2017, 03:20 PM
...to break up all the football talk gents, but this site USED to be about things like fishing and hunting so I thought I would try to get you all back on track.

The ND youth deer season opened this past Friday at noon but due to rain, having to march in a parade, having to play at the football game, and high school trap shooting, we were not able to get out hunting until late Sunday afternoon. All of that had me feeling a bit desperate to try and get my daughter a good shot at a nice buck since her brothers did pretty well for themselves with their first buck tags.

So with the pressure on and the wind from the wrong direction to best hunt the ranch I had permission for, we headed out as soon as she was done shooting her two rounds of high school trap.

We got into a place where we could watch a draw for deer movement but the visibility was a bit more limited than I prefer but for a kid from the prairie, I start feeling limited if I can't see at least a 1/2-mile in all directions. :) Have to admit I was a bit concerned when I thought she should be doing this:9375
and instead she was doing this:
Only to find out that rather than playing games, she was doing this:
Which shouldn't have surprised me as she has a pretty good eye for photography.

Bwana
09-21-2017, 03:39 PM
So after about an hour of sitting, we had only seen one doe and a smaller 4x4, I decided it was time to move to the next draw over where I could see a bit further.

Of course when there is a kid involved you always need to document the moment (that's old people talk for taking a selfie).

While glassing from our new vantage point I noticed a number of deer in the alfalfa field across the river from us which was a tad over a 1/2 of a mile away. From what I could tell with my binoculars they all appeared to be does and fawns though there may have been a small buck or two in the bunch but it was too far to tell. I kept on scanning the area when after a bit I noticed another deer enter the hayfield. I put up the binoculars and could IMMEDIATELY tell it was a NICE buck even from that distance.

Chicken Dinner
09-21-2017, 04:20 PM
Call your sister!

Bwana
09-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Long story short: we had an hour left before the end of shooting time to make a play and my daughter agreed to give it a try even though we didn't know if we would be able to see the field the deer was in once we got to our side of the river bank plus either way we had a mile-plus long walk back to the pickup from the very bottom of the river valley.

We couldn't see the field at all when we got there but the buck was kind enough to come down for a drink. One shot, a long hike back out, a 4.5 mile drive to get close to where the buck had been standing, and some SLOW blood trailing via headlamps resulted in one VERY HAPPY young lady!

airbud7
09-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Wow....That's a nice one!

Chicken Dinner
09-21-2017, 06:53 PM
Nice buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Skyz
09-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Slammer!!!

HideHunter
09-21-2017, 07:39 PM
xellent! Congrats all around!

BarryBobPosthole
09-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Good shootin' Little Sister! That one is a wall hanger if it was one I klled.

Nicely done!

(you too Pops)

BKB

Captain
09-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Man that is a great buck! Congrats to her.
And THANKS SO MUCH for a real post about hunting!
I was thinking we were gonna have to change the name of this site to GoodBall...

BarryBobPosthole
09-21-2017, 11:05 PM
As long as we're changing it, why not GreatBall?

BKB

Thumper
09-21-2017, 11:15 PM
How 'bout MYBALLS! ;)

Man-o-man that's a nice buck! Congrats to all. That smile on her face says it all. :thumbsup

Captain
09-22-2017, 04:27 AM
As long as we're changing it, why not GreatBall?

BKB

Now you just sound like Trump....

Arty
09-22-2017, 07:12 AM
Daaaannnng thats is a nice buck!!!! Lordy! How far was the shot?

Cards01
09-22-2017, 07:51 AM
Congrats on making memories and a great buck for the young lady!!

Chicken Dinner
09-22-2017, 08:32 AM
It's gonna be "HUUUUGEE!"

Now you just sound like Trump....

Bwana
09-22-2017, 09:40 AM
The shot ended up only being about 120 yards as the buck was kind enough to come to the river for a drink or else we would not have been able to seem him due to the riverbank on his side being higher than on ours.

As for putting it on the wall, I am currently searching for a taxidermist. For some reason she thinks this one qualifies as "big enough." ;)

DeputyDog
09-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Definitely a nice one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk