PDA

View Full Version : NFL on Yahoo

Chicken Dinner
09-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Anybody watching? One of my kids is a Ravens fan so we're "trying". So far, the viewing experience leaves a lot to be desired. I've got a high speed FIOS connection and it's glitchy as hell. Either a crappy image quality with no buffering or lots of buffering and a good picture. The NFL should be ashamed of itself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
09-24-2017, 10:13 AM
I've watched some highlights and stuff on the NFL streaming app and didn't notice any issues. One would think that with Verizon as its owner, Yaho would have bandwidth to do a decent of a live broadcast.

The lack of live sports on streaming is a huge hole right now and the way the traditional powers like espn are protecting their broadcast bases while they dip their toe means it won't be viable without users paying through the nose.

Fuck 'em. What we need is a good old old fashioned pirate to break the logjam.

BKb

Chicken Dinner
09-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Switched to a different TV and it's a "little" better. I read an article a few months back that said eventually all the leagues would eventually be streaming only broadcasts that they own. Basically, cut the networks and cable out of it entirely. They've got a long way to to.

Chicken Dinner
09-24-2017, 11:44 AM
It got so bad (and not just the game) that we turned if off. Good job NFL and Yahoo!

DeputyDog
09-24-2017, 11:45 AM
I know that Indycar does a lot of live streaming of practices that are not part of their TV coverage. They are in the process of negotiating their next TV contract and a big part of it is the online content. I think full scale implementation is a few years off yet because of the issues you're having, but it is definitely the way of the future.

BarryBobPosthole
09-24-2017, 12:01 PM
Hank are you watching on smart tv or a firestick? Some of the processors in smart tvs just don't have the butt in theor britches to do streaming justice. The processor on my two year old Samsung tv is that way. When I went to firestick which has a more robust twin processor, what I had originally thought were internet bandwidth problems went away.
I have a new Samsung 4k and it doesn't seem to have streaming issues.

BKb

Chicken Dinner
09-24-2017, 01:51 PM
I've got a 4K in the basement and it was a little better down there. Upstairs is a bit older smartTV and that was completely unwatchable. No fire sticks for me. Len has me scared off of those because of the Russian hackers.

BarryBobPosthole
09-24-2017, 02:20 PM
I've got a 4K in the basement and it was a little better down there. Upstairs is a bit older smartTV and that was completely unwatchable. No fire sticks for me. Len has me scared off of those because of the Russian hackers.

But......he's an IT guy.

BKB

Trav
09-24-2017, 02:53 PM
I've watched some highlights and stuff on the NFL streaming app and didn't notice any issues. One would think that with Verizon as its owner, Yaho would have bandwidth to do a decent of a live broadcast.

The lack of live sports on streaming is a huge hole right now and the way the traditional powers like espn are protecting their broadcast bases while they dip their toe means it won't be viable without users paying through the nose.

Fuck 'em. What we need is a good old old fashioned pirate to break the logjam.

BKb

We just turned up a bunch of 10G & 100g ports for this so it shouldn’t be a network congestion issue.

LJ3
09-25-2017, 04:35 PM
The network always gets the blame for shitty endpoint hardware.

Chicken Dinner
09-25-2017, 08:06 PM
The network always gets the blame for shitty endpoint hardware.

Typical IT guy excuses. It's always somebody else's fault. (It's not for lack of me trying to buy the right stuff...)