View Full Version : Here you go Thump and Hombre

Chicken Dinner
09-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Can you say fresh?

https://instagram.com/p/BZb3QJ9BkTy/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hombre
09-24-2017, 10:03 PM
I'd give it a try. Just had NOBU this past week in Palo Alto.

BarryBobPosthole
09-24-2017, 10:16 PM
"You take a fork and you spike 'em"

My Parties
Dire Straits

Thumper
09-25-2017, 11:27 AM
I haven't tried it, but I would. I have had Goong Ten (Dancing Shrimp) while I lived in Northeastern Thailand (Isaan), an area with a heavy Laotian presence where Lao/Thai foods get intermingled. The shrimp are alive and the term "dancing" comes from the fact they're constantly jumping and flopping around!

Northern Thai (Isaan for example) and Southern Thai (Bangkok for example) style foods differ quite a bit. Southern Thai is a bit more refined. Isaan is a poor area for the most part ... mostly farmers and rural types ... whereas Southern Thailand is where the "city slickers" are located. I lived in a small village in Isaan for 3 years and was referred to by the locals as the Thai Farang (Thai Foreigner). I pretty much lived on the local foods. Due to the poverty in the area, they make do with what they have available. If you can get past conventional thoughts of what food should be, some nasty sounding dishes can be quite good. Many of these dishes contain raw meats and insects and/or larvae in the ingredients. One of my favorite insects is Mangda (giant water bugs) ... they're a delicacy there. I've eaten everything shown on this plate and like all of it. That big cockroach looking thing is a mangda.

It may sound really gross, but don't knock it 'til you try it ... pig blood soup ("Lou" in Thai) is REALLY tasty! It's RAW pig's blood, usually served with sliced RAW pig's kidney (the kidney mild and tastes like some sort of mushroom, but that may be because of the texture). As for the soup ... it's EXCELLENT. I have a Thai buddy who brought his parents to live here and they settled in a very rural area about 45 mins. S.E. of here. I went out to visit them with my buddy one day and they were living "Thai style". They were growing their own vegetables, had their farm animals (chickens, pigs and even a water buffalo!). The parents didn't speak English, but I speak enough Thai to communicate. When we arrived, his dad had just butchered a hog and had the bucket of blood he'd drained (they don't waste ANYTHING). While there, the old man started making blood soup and the old lady was making all the accompaniments. During the process, my buddy's dad and I really hit it off. I sat there and shared the fresh blood soup with my buddy and his parents. I'd had it plenty of times in Thaiand, but that was the first and only time I've had it in the states. I think it was one of the best examples I've ever tasted! This is blood soup, sliced raw kidney and pork neck fat.

BarryBobPosthole
09-25-2017, 11:32 AM
Nope. Ain't gonna do it.

While i say that, I do love raw oysters and its probbly only technicality that decides whether raw oysters are alive or not when you eat them.

BKb

Thumper
09-25-2017, 11:38 AM
Odd, but raw oysters gag me! Can't stand those slimy bastids!