PDA

View Full Version : So Thumper

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2013, 11:21 AM
What do you think of the new Corvette? I'm 'not decided' until I see one on the street. So far though, I'm leaning towards the 'don't like it' category. We'll see.

BKB

http://www.chevrolet.com/new-2014-corvette/?seo=goo_|_GM+Chevy+Awareness_|_GG-AWR-Corvette-Stingray-BP-SN-Exact_|_Corvette+Stingray_|_2014%20corvette

johnboy
01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
My 2 cents: a big disappointment! It looks kinda trashy, no 'class'. It,s all sharp lines and angles like an old Lamborghini with stupid vents and scoops all over plus it has a Camaro rear end. What in hell were they thinking?

As for the engine, they actually went down in power. A total boner!

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I never was a fan of the old 'Stingray' models either. I think they should go with more of a European sports car look, myself. I'm tired of retro car designs. come up with something new fer chrissakes.

BKB

Thumper
01-15-2013, 12:35 PM
I think it's pretty bad-ass myself. I'm not so sure about the back end though ... the tail lights look a bit too Camaro'ish to me. The Corvette gives the world's biggest bang for the buck IMHO ... but it's still a rich man's toy.

My bud is the Parts Manager at the BMW dealer here in town and was at the Detroit Auto Show. He sent me a bunch of pics of the new BMW 4 series coupe which I think is pretty sweet. It's slated to replace the 3 series (their "entry level" car). We've owned 2 BMW's as well as 2 Corvette's ... different beasts altogether, but still fun. My problem with BOTH Corvettes was the typical GM bullshit. I could drive either of them on Saturday, park them in the garage, take them out the following Saturday and something would be broken! The dealer would charge me a minimum of $150 just to drive in the door. Then with the $2000-$2500 tire bill every 15,000 - 18,000 miles (NORMAL driving), I finally got fed up. NOTHING (at all) EVER broke on either of the Bimmers. We sold the first one with 140,000 miles on the clock and it had never been back to the dealer since the day Lynn drove it off the showroom floor. The second one was traded on a Toyota Sequoia believe it or not!

Thumper
01-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Ooops, looks like Johnboy caught the Camaro look hisowndamnself. I'm with P-hole though ... I really need to see one on the street.

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
The JAg F series is my favorite sports car look right now. and its got real roll bars. so its a real sports car dammit!

BKB

Thumper
01-15-2013, 01:15 PM
A Jag is a total piece of crap ... but I've had a secret love affair with them for many years. Back in the 80's I brought this persact car (XJS) home to Lynn as we were ready to trade the first Bimmer.

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f168/150054d1345080020-sale-1985-jaguar-xjs-12-coupe-wallys-xjs-12-jaguar-063.jpg

She hated it as she could see NOTHING through the back glass. I could have explained she can back out of the driveway using her side mirrors, but deep down, I was glad she culled the idea. If I think the Corvette's were maintenance nightmares, I can't even imagine the headaches a Jag would have caused! I drove it back to the dealer and told him, "Thanks, but no thanks". That was the closest I ever came to owning one. :(

johnboy
01-15-2013, 03:12 PM
BMW, Audi and Mercedes consistently rank below average in reliability rankings.

"The larger [European] manufacturers, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, are among the worst automakers overall," Consumer Reports said.

The myth of superior German engineering is just that, a myth.

Niner
01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
The "Rich Man's Toy".....

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Ah John, you practical Scotsman you. Its about the LOOKS of the cars. Not the reliability. Cars are like women. Breasts have nothing to do with gas mileage. But they sure are nice to look at! Carbeurators......not so much.

BKB

jb
01-15-2013, 04:50 PM
It's 10 years old this year, only 61K on it but the only thing I've had done to it is LOF and tires, still has original battery.
True I only drive it 7 months a year, but it's been one of the best cars I've ever owned.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/topdownfront3.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/topdownrear.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Or is that carbeuratours?

johnboy
01-15-2013, 06:15 PM
And a fine looking machine it is, jb. What's LOF, bye the bye?

I actually looked long and hard at 'vettes last fall and came very close to buying a 2007 convertible but just couldn't get the price I wanted to pay. The guy called me back with a reduced price but I'd already bought my Stang so too bad. Of all the vettes I looked at, I still think the C5's (1997 - 2004) have the best body lines. Smooooth! That new C7 is just butt ugly!

Gunther
01-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Looks like a Dodge Viper. Hahahahahaha

LJ3
01-15-2013, 07:03 PM
I like the look but doubt I would go for one of those. When I'm finally in a place where I can get a muscle car, what it looks like is going to be secondary to what happens when I stomp on the skinny peddle. I ain't buyin' one to drive by shopping center wondows to see how I look in it :)

Torque baby... It's all about the torque.

Buckrub
01-15-2013, 07:03 PM
"LOF"----- "Let Old Fart" drive it.

Either that or "Line of Fire".

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2013, 07:04 PM
'Last Over Finish' line.

BKB

jb
01-15-2013, 07:09 PM
LOF + lub, oil, filter, or "an oil change."

FooBang
01-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Nice wheels, JB! I thought I was posting about the 'vette in another thread. Love the beemer..

--Foo

Thumper
01-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Yep ... car biz talk. That's all I've ever called 'em for about 50 years now ... LOF. I couldn't count the times I wrote "LOF and MBA on an RO" when I wrote service.

Easier than writing Lube, Oil & Filter and Move (Rotate), Balance & Align on a Repair Order. ;)

Buckrub
01-15-2013, 09:50 PM
What?

What are you talking about?

I thought Toyota's (TO's) didn't have RO's?????!!!!!?????

well??

Thumper
01-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Ummm, you're obviously tired and delirious from all that driving. Read it again ... sloooowly. It's been many, MANY years since I wrote service. AND I was working for General Motors at the time ... I wrote LOTS of R.O.'s back then! ;)

Besides ... even if I were referring to Toyota ... LOF and MBA are normal services. You don't change your oil or rotate your tires?

BarryBobPosthole
01-15-2013, 10:02 PM
I will admit that I am horrible about rotating tires. I could probably get 1/4 more miles out pf my tires if I rotated them. But the oil change place I use doesn't have a rack. And I'm lazy. So I don't rotate my tires as often as I should. Its like admitting you don't floss.

BKB

Thumper
01-15-2013, 10:06 PM
I rotate my tires at every other oil change.

Crap, it's a no-brainer. An LOF at my Toyota dealer is $12.95 ... if you do a tire rotation at the same time, it's an extra $7.00. Heck, I can't do it in my frigging driveway for that! If you just get the LOF, it's guaranteed out in 29 minutes or it's free ... no appointment necessary! You can have your oil changed on your lunch hour and still have time to grab a bite to eat.

To top it off, they send me two coupons every couple of months (one for me and one for Lynn) for $25.00 off any service work. If I don't have one for some reason, my salesman slips me one. I can't remember the last time I actually paid for an oil change.

Buckrub
01-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Toyota's need their oil changed? Don't they get GREAT oil to begin with? So why change it?

Here I thought they were SO different.

I guess they're just vehicles. Dang.

P.S.
I rotate my tires religiously.

Thumper
01-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Well Bucky, if we were both filthy rich, I'd propose a challenge. I'd say, "Let's drain all the oil out of my Toyota and your Chevy, then hit the road". Which one do you think would puke first? ;)

Heck, you'd already be starting out with a handicap. What is it Chevrolet stands for? Oh yeah, "Chevrolet Has Extensive Valve Rattle On Long Extended Trips"! ;)

Buckrub
01-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Nah, I'd just let you do it and I wouldn't.

I think that'd prove my point bestest!

Only cars I ever had that 'blew up' were Japanese and one Ford. Every Chevy I had ran at least 185,000 miles with few problems. Doesn't prove a thing. Just my experience.

Plus, mine are pretty. What is a 'Toyota Corvette'???? :confused: