PDA

View Full Version : The Problem With Scallops

BarryBobPosthole
09-25-2017, 08:38 PM
There ain't never enough.

BKB

Big Muddy
09-25-2017, 08:58 PM
I have the same problem with mudbugs and raw oysters. ;)

Hombre
09-25-2017, 09:34 PM
Damn right about all 3

Booger
09-25-2017, 11:13 PM
Barry, you ever went out and got em? Scalloping is a big deal here in the summer. Finding them in thick enough patches is the trick. We drag someone on a rope behind the boat like a big ass topwater plug until they see enough to make it worthwhile, then pop up the dive flag and get after it. We can limit out in an hour or less then spend the rest of the day cleaning the little fuckers. The trick there is using a shop vac. Pretty fun way to spend a Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
09-25-2017, 11:34 PM
There ain't never enough.

BKB

And, fresh they cost $16/pound around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arty
09-26-2017, 07:30 AM
You got that right!
How did you prepare them?
I like them just about any way you can imagine. Grilled and brushed with butter, and placed a big glob of Parmesan mashed taters and some grilled veggies is one of my faves

BarryBobPosthole
09-26-2017, 08:12 AM
Booger, many many years ago when I was stationed at MacDill I went snorkeling for them at Homosassa Springs. I had about half an idea of what I was doing but got enough to eat with a steak.

Artie, the only way I've ever cooked them is to saute them in butter in a frying pan just until they are barely done. Too much and you're chewing a pencil eraser. Then i tossed them in some pasta with some fresh parmesan cheese and they were larrupin'. These were the bigger sea scallops, not the little shell oil logo bay scallops I used to get in Florida.

BKB

Thumper
09-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Artie, the only way I've ever cooked them is to saute them in butter in a frying pan just until they are barely done. Too much and you're chewing a pencil eraser. Then i tossed them in some pasta with some fresh parmesan cheese and they were larrupin'. These were the bigger sea scallops, not the little shell oil logo bay scallops I used to get in Florida. BKB

I love scallops served just that way. I've never heard of them being mixed into mashed taters though. I ate in a high end Chinese restaurant once and had the best scallops I've ever had in my life (sauteed). I swear those puppies were the size of silver dollars! Biggest I've ever seen and cooked perfectly ... they'd practically melt in your mouth.

BarryBobPosthole
09-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Back in the day, it was rumored that restaurants would stamp out 'scallops' from skate wings. I think that was probably an early urban legend, but I have caught a lot of skates and never did I catch one that I didn't wonder if I should try it.

Never did. Turned those nasty effers loose.

BKB

Arty
09-26-2017, 09:58 AM
I love scallops served just that way. I've never heard of them being mixed into mashed taters though. I ate in a high end Chinese restaurant once and had the best scallops I've ever had in my life (sauteed). I swear those puppies were the size of silver dollars! Biggest I've ever seen and cooked perfectly ... they'd practically melt in your mouth.

You ought to try them that way sometime. I had it in a restaurant like that once. I left out one part though. Pour some good crab and cheese sauce over all of it, and boy it's good!
And you don't mix them into the taters ya dufe. You place them on top, so you have a nice presentation on the plate.

BarryBobPosthole
09-26-2017, 10:00 AM
I've always thought they'd make a helluva fritter. But they're too expensive to use that way.

BKB

Thumper
09-26-2017, 12:19 PM
Sounds dang good Arty, I've just never had 'em that way. Crap! It's lunchtime, I'm hungry!

BarryBobPosthole
09-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Double crickets with cheese today I'll bet!

BKb