PDA

View Full Version : New Video Daddy/Daughter Day Fishing

Big Skyz
09-28-2017, 01:59 PM
You saw a pic or two from last week's little fishing foray. Here's a little video to go with it. Hope y'all enjoy it. I know I sure enjoyed spending time with my youngest daughter. She is a junior in high school this year. It won't be long and I won't get opportunities like this very often once she heads out on her own.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tkU8VNd0jSc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Penguin
09-28-2017, 02:05 PM
Pretty day and some pretty fish. Looks like you two had a grand time. How soon will these slow moving streams freeze over for you Troy? Can you fish them up into early winter?

Will

Big Skyz
09-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Usually sometime in November. However there have been a couple years where they were still open during Christmas break, but not very often.

BarryBobPosthole
09-28-2017, 02:44 PM
I can tell you share DNA with Bill Dance.

Nice vid!

BKB

johnboy
09-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Nothing better than fishing with your kid (or grandkid)! Good stuff!

Big Skyz
09-28-2017, 02:58 PM
BBP, I'm pretty sure if I do much more of this video taping that I will for sure end up with a bloopers reel to rival anything Bill has done. I took a heckuva digger into the rocks last weekend on the Missouri River. Thankfully no camera's were on.

Thumper
09-28-2017, 03:22 PM
Great video Sky! Enjoy these times while you can.

LJ3
09-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Keep hope alive BS. My college senior TELLS me we're going fishing together when she comes home every once in a while.

Great video and great memories.

Big Skyz
09-28-2017, 04:49 PM
Oh my hope stays alive, but I also realize the reality of how much time I don't get to spend with my oldest three boys now that they are pursing school and careers. Time with them doesn't end completely or even abruptly, but it definitely is limited.

airbud7
09-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Yep!...Good stuff right there Big Skyz!

Penguin
09-29-2017, 07:46 AM
Thanks Troy, I figured they would freeze over but i wasn't sure whether they carried you up into hunting season or not. :p

Do you get to hunt any with your kids? I haven't been around a lot in the past couple year and have sort of lost track of everyone. I'm seeing photos on this site of young men and women who were yonkers the last time I saw them.

Will

Cards01
09-29-2017, 07:51 AM
Awesome video, pretty fish, and it doesn't get much better than spending that kind of quality time!!

Big Skyz
09-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Penguin, I've taken all my kids hunting, but my second oldest son and youngest son have never killed anything. Neither really have a desire to hunt. They aren't against it, they just aren't that interested in it. The most avid hunter of my six kids is my oldest daughter. She loves it. My youngest daughter who is in the video loves to fish and is now my official fishing partner most of the time. I used to live to hunt, but these days I mostly fish and occasionally hunt coyotes. I might deer hunt a day or two this fall, but the goal will be to fill the freezer as quickly as possible so I can get back to fishing. I feel very fortunate to live here and I can fish open water all year round due to fishing tailrace waters below dam. It never freezes now matter how cold it gets. I've caught some exceptional trout below the dams.

Chicken Dinner
09-29-2017, 10:26 AM
That's a pretty good mix of browns and rainbows. Do they ever hybridize? Do the browns ever drive the rainbows or natives out? Just curious as around here the NWS and state game guys are very aggressive about keeping browns, and even rainbows, out of any water that holds natives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quercus alba
09-29-2017, 11:10 AM
Sometime in November I'll be moving up fairly close to some decent trout streams. I've never fished for trout but it looks like it would be pretty challenging with a fly rod. I don't mind a challenge, but I also like to have some return on the time invested. So Sky, you have any instructional videos out there for the novice trout fishermen?

Big Skyz
09-29-2017, 11:20 AM
Chicken Dinner, the browns and rainbows don't seem to have much trouble together. The fish they really monitor here is brooke trout and non-native cutthroat trout. I guess both can take over a water system pretty fast. Personally I like catching all of them. The biggest problem we have in Montana is that a ton of smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, bluegill, green eared sunfish, and northern pike have been planted illegally and they cause a lot of problems. Once bass establish there is almost no way to get rid of them short of killing the whole lake or creek.

Big Skyz
09-29-2017, 11:24 AM
quercus alba, this video is a "How To" for jig fishing. I don't have any bait fishing or lure fishing "How To's" other than this one. I might eventually do some of drifting worms in rivers or creeks for trout. Throwing Panter Martin or Mepps spinners is also super effective on most creeks.
Here is the jig video:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ECOJGqtHPsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>