PDA

View Full Version : For Cap and anyone else who's interested....

Big Muddy
10-04-2017, 09:08 AM
On one side of my place, I share about 2 miles of property line with a good neighbor....his side is cropland, and mine is covered up with native ash saplings, tall grasses, and bushes .....over a period of time, he keeps inching across the property line about 6 feet.....I don't want to disk it, but I do want to re-establish the property line, by spraying and killing everything just along the property line.

I'm pretty sure you keep your fence lines cleared, so what chemical do you use that works???.....Arsenal and Crossbow are the first ones that comes to mind, but do you have some sorta special recipe that you use that REALLY works better???

Yeah, I know who I work for, but it's always best to get second opinions. ;)

Bwana
10-04-2017, 09:20 AM
I would think that cultivating it would send the proper message plus, up here anyway, it seems like areas sprayed with glyphosate-type products, though effective in killing most vegetation, tend to come back weedy. And that's all I know about that.

Big Muddy
10-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Yep, due to over-use there are lots of plants and grasses which have developed a resistance to Roundup, and are now completely tolerant to it.

Captain
10-04-2017, 09:51 AM
I have found that Arsonal or Polaris works best. They are both slow working but will keep the area clean for a couple of years. You have to use cation around any trees you don’t want to kill however as it will work even if you don’t spray the foliage. It will kill just from going into the soil. Neither of those will kill pine, cedar, elm, or holly. However anything else is toast.
Crossbow will kill everything including pine and evergreens but will only last about 6 months before you start seeing grass regrowth.
If I want bare ground and total kill I’d use Arsonal or Polaris in the fall when the sap is going down and give it time to work over the fall/winter. As I said it is SLOW to work. You will not see any quick kill with it but it will be a total kill by spring. All evergreens and elms will not be killed however. If you want them gone I’d follow up the next spring greenup with a application of Crossbow.
If you will do this you should be 2 years before to see grass starting back.

BarryBobPosthole
10-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Is he actually moving your corners or just encroaching with his fence?

BkB

Captain
10-04-2017, 09:58 AM
I would think that cultivating it would send the proper message plus, up here anyway, it seems like areas sprayed with glyphosate-type products, though effective in killing most vegetation, tend to come back weedy. And that's all I know about that.
Yes, Glyphosate is what I consider liquid mowing. It will come back in a month or so, and like you said mostly weeds will come back. Pigweed has become totally tolerant to glyphosate now. It won’t touch it any more. All our fields in the area that are planted with round-up ready beans or corn are full of pigweed.....
I think Muddys company is (or has) developed something to control pigweed in cropland.

Big Muddy
10-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Yes, Cap, Monsanto has a great new product, Xtendimax, which applied to their Xtend varieties of soybeans, is deadly to young pigweeds and a lot of other broadleafs and grasses.....note, however, it can only be applied to dicamba-tolerant soybeans, and applications must follow the label directions, precisely.

Thumper
10-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Is he actually moving your corners or just encroaching with his fence? BkB

I was a bit confused also. I'm assuming there is no fence and the neighbor simply ends up planting a couple of extra rows on Mudward's side of the property line.

Big Muddy
10-05-2017, 12:49 AM
Yep, there's no fence involved.....just sorta chaps my azz that he let's his tillage equipment hang over across the property line into my hunting land.....all the property corners are clearly marked, so I may just flag the line, so he'll get the message.

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2017, 01:05 AM
You might want to consider a wall. They're popular these days.

BKb

Trav
10-05-2017, 01:45 AM
Send him a bill for leasing your property, that will send a message he will understand.

Captain
10-05-2017, 06:29 AM
Arsonal or Polaris will keep anything from growing there for a year or two. Either that or wait till he plants and the seeds sprout and run a line of crossbow down the property line. It will kill whatever is growing without sterilizing the ground.

Thumper
10-05-2017, 09:38 AM
You might want to consider a wall. They're popular these days. BKb

I'm with you again P-hole! But make the neighbor pay for it. ;)

Thumper
10-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Muddy, my grandparents ran into something similar years ago. I don't know what Mississippi law states, but you may want to brush up on your state's "adverse possession" laws (IF you have any). I believe that if you yourself perform some sort of maintenance on the land in question (spraying for example), that will block any adverse possession proceedings. In fact, if you have a "prescriptive easement" law on the books, not covering the situation with the neighbor could lead to problems down the road. I believe there's quite a long time period that has to pass ... 15-20 years possibly (?), but it should still be addressed I would think.

I doubt your situation would be that grim, but I've heard of a few nightmares.

LJ3
10-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Wouldn't be easier to knock on his door and say "Good morning asshole, get your shit off my shit."

Thumper
10-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Wouldn't be easier to knock on his door and say "Good morning asshole, get your shit off my shit."

Ha ha! Maybe with a little different wording! In Muddy's first sentence, he says this:

I share about 2 miles of property line with a good neighbor!

Big Muddy
10-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Nah, it hasn't escalated to that, and it's not a major issue for me.....I think a few flags will solve it.....if not, then I'll tell him about it, when he's finished harvesting his crops.....and, yes, he's a good neighbor.....and, I wanna keep it that way.

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Another subtle message might be to built a tower stand on the property line overlooking his bean field. That might get the conversation started!

BkB